Inline FabricationLee PrecisionWidenersRotoMetals2
PBcastcoMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataReloading Everything
Titan Reloading Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rcbs hand primer

Boolit Master

Rcbs hand primer

Gentlemen, I am having the devil's own time putting this tool back together. I have done the job several times in the past with little trouble but this time I am ready to throw in the towel. You have to take it apart to change primer sizes. I only use it when i have a few cases to prime. I like it because it uses regular shell holders. Any suggestions?
    A GUN THAT'S COCKED AND UNLOADED AIN'T GOOD FOR NUTHIN'........... ROOSTER COGBURN

Boolit Buddy
    RCBS has two, you have the older one,, both work well,,

The newer one does not need a specific shellholder for each type cartridge,,
    Have you watched the YouTube videos? there are quite a few, maybe one shows the primer size change??

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...d+priming+tool

I had a Lee, then recently purchased to newer one from RCBS,,
    I did change the primer size,, just as a learning thing,, it was a little tricky, but, I did it per the instructions, and it worked OK,,

Boolit Buddy
    IIRC on the old style if you don't keep the lever depressed when the bar is off, you mess it up and are supposed to send it back for service.

Just got one of the new ones and it was missing parts. Trying to get a hold of them to send the parts out. Glad that was intended as a spare to my old style one.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Brick85 View Post
    IIRC on the old style if you don't keep the lever depressed when the bar is off, you mess it up and are supposed to send it back for service.

Just got one of the new ones and it was missing parts. Trying to get a hold of them to send the parts out. Glad that was intended as a spare to my old style one.
    I've had one for close to thirty years. You don't have to send it back if you let things go while converting primer size or just changing the shellholder, but it can be a PITA to get everything lined up to where it works.

If the push rod is allowed to come out of its bore, the easiest way I have found to put it back is to put just a little pressure on the lever, then use a small screwdriver to gently align the round rod with its bore. After that it should go together as normal.

It will take some fiddling around, just don't get ham handed and try to use a hammer to fix it.

Good Luck,

Robert

Agreed...you have to put pressure on the lever but from the underside (pulling up on it, slightly)....it will go back in...and if you have to force it at all...you're doing it wrong.

redhawk

The only stupid question...is the unasked one.
    Not all who wander....are lost.
    "Common Sense" is like a flower. It doesn't grow in everyone's garden.

If more government is the answer, then it was a really stupid question. - Ronald Reagan

Boolit Master
    Thank you all for your input. I did not see my priming tool in any of the videos. I have changed priming size before with little difficulty but that was several years ago. The major problem is, you need one more hand. I asked my wife to lend a hand but, well you can imagine how that worked out. I will give it one more shot tomorrow.
    A GUN THAT'S COCKED AND UNLOADED AIN'T GOOD FOR NUTHIN'........... ROOSTER COGBURN

Boolit Master
    I use these regularly. Here's how I do it. I take out the curved piece, open the lever and let the primer rod drop. Then change shell holders and primer rods as needed, Then, turn it upside down and shake a little until the primer rod slides into the hole for the primers. Next, use a screw driver or such to get the push rod back in the hole in the bottom of the primer rod, close the lever and put the curved piece back in. The trick is the upside down shake to get the primer rod started without forcing it. If it does not start right, wiggle the shell holder a little (if it is not seated right the rid will not go in).
    Hick: Iron sights!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Hick View Post
    I use these regularly. Here's how I do it. I take out the curved piece, open the lever and let the primer rod drop. Then change shell holders and primer rods as needed, Then, turn it upside down and shake a little until the primer rod slides into the hole for the primers. Next, use a screw driver or such to get the push rod back in the hole in the bottom of the primer rod, close the lever and put the curved piece back in. The trick is the upside down shake to get the primer rod started without forcing it. If it does not start right, wiggle the shell holder a little (if it is not seated right the rid will not go in).
    Mine old one must be a somewhat newer one. I think I got it circa 2008. I just unscrew the pin which holds the curved sliding piece, squeeze the lever a bit, take out the curved metal and let the priming rod drop out, then take out the plastic and swap it out. Then reattach the curved piece and drop the proper rod in. Rod will fall out if I upend the device at any point. My new one purchased this year, the rod stays in.

Boolit Master
    Mine is 20 years old and has different diameter rods for S/L primer size. Make sure you are using the correct one AND install it the right way. The bottom end is rounded.

I actually have an even older one which works with single primers. But it has two rods as well.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Petander View Post
    Mine is 20 years old and has different diameter rods for S/L primer size. Make sure you are using the correct one AND install it the right way. The bottom end is rounded.
    That sounds like my old one. I wonder if that's the same style the OP is fighting with?

Photos are always nice!

Yup, I can get them back together, but I can't tell some one how to do it w/o pix

Boolit Buddy

I have the old style. I squeeze and hold the handle down, unscrew the curved piece, dump rod, add new rod, reinsert the curved piece, that's it.

Boolit Master
    I have both the RCBS and the Lyman hand priming tools. The Lyman tool is vastly superior and much easier to use.

Boolit Master
    Here are pictures of my problem child. Is this the type you have.

Boolit Master

That's a really old one. Unless it's different from mine, you shouldn't have to take anything apart. You just pull the spring loaded rods out the top, and put a new one in.

Boolit Master

Out of curiosity, I took mine apart to see if it was the same. It's identical. No need to ever take it apart. The rod assembly pulls right out the top, to easily change shellholder or rod size. If it doesn't pull out easily, it's just stuck and you have to pull a little.

To put it back together now that you have it apart, take the larger spring that you have around the one rod and put it between the square block and the top of the housing, and put the lever assembly in below it. It's a pain to hold it together under spring tension while you put the two halves of the body together, but I was able to do it in a couple minutes.

I had one of these units a very long time ago and it eventually broke, maybe 15 or 20 years ago. I called RCBS to see about a replacement part, and they told me they were no longer made. They sent me a newer model complete as a replacement!

Over the years I accumulated another old one, in my photo, and use it occasionally. I like it for low-volume stuff because it's so quick and easy to change sizes and shellholders.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9845[1].jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	38.8 KB 
ID:	271077

I wore out two of those. The handles broke. Loaded hundreds of rounds with them. The first one, I sent it in for repair and RCBS sent me a new one. The second one, I guess they'd discontinued them so they sent me one of the new more complicated models. I felt a bit guilty about it, so I sent them a check. fatelk is correct, you do not have to take them apart to change the seater plug. You just remove the shell holder, then squeeze the handle and the plug will come up out of it's hole. If you can't pull it out with your fingers a pair of needle nosed pliers will work.

Boolit Master
    Thank you again Gentleman. I will give it a try tomorrow. The thing has been apart for so long I don't remember why I did it.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by fatelk View Post
    That's a really old one. Unless it's different from mine, you shouldn't have to take anything apart. You just pull the spring loaded rods out the top, and put a new one in.
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^this^^^^^^^^^

Never had to pull mine apart, just pull the rod out the top and swap it out

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast