RepackboxInline FabricationWidenersSnyders Jerky
Load DataLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
RotoMetals2 Titan Reloading

Thread: H&A .38-55 Shotgun

Boolit Master

H&A .38-55 Shotgun

Found this at a long-ago gunshow; early '80's IIRC. It's on the Hopkins & Allen "Medium" rifle frame; the Davenport patent H&A got when they bought out the Bay State Arms Co. I see a fair number of the 922/932 H&A falling-block boy's rifles, and an occasional specimen of the rather ungainly large-frame shotgun, but the medium frame is quite uncommon, in my experience.

Attachment 270959

When I got it, there were few .38-55 empty cases available, so I made some of my own by blowing out .30-30 and .32 Spl. cases with Unique and Cream of Wheat. The headspace was excessive in the gun, in that the rim seat was cut too deep. It may have been chambered for the early folded-head reloadable shells. The thinner rims on modern solid-heads seated too deep for the firing pin to hit, unless the gun was pointed straight up. I had gotten my 6" Atlas lathe by then, and it was easy to depth-mike a shell in the chamber, select a piece of shim stock of the same thickness as the depth, solder it to the end of a piece of round stock, cut out the center to the width of the chamber and cut the outside to the width of the rim seat. The resulting "washer" was melted off the stock and the rim seat fluxed. The washer was pressed in and the necessary heat applied. After cooling and cleaning, the extractor cut was filed through the soldered-in washer. The modern shells chambered and fired just fine ever afterward.

Another early triumph on the lathe was the manufacture of a crimping button that I could drop into the chamber of a Winchester 1880 reloading tool. A squeeze on the handles crimped the end of the shell over the overshot wad that I punched out with a 3/8" Arch punch. Door sealing felt strip was dipped in molten wax and punched out with the same punch to make the overpowder/undershot wad. I could then perform all the operations except full-length sizing on the tong tool.

Attachment 270960

I am embarrassed to say that back in my salad days I did not often include load data in the boxes of shells I made up. I thought I had it in my loading notebooks but so far cannot find it. However, in my searches for things I know I have around here somewhere, I did come across three boxes of shells loaded long ago, and it occurred to me that I had never checked them out for patterns. The lack of open restaurants I presently endure keeps me well supplied with frozen pizza boxes and I had saved a few of the cardboard discs that go under the pizzas. I took four of these out and patterned the gun on them at 5, 10, 15 and 20 yards with the following results:

Attachment 270961

The game in the 1880's must have come scampering and fluttering up to you and landing on your shoulders, like a Disney movie, for this little gun to be very effective. I would guess 12 yards is about as far away as a shot should be tried at a small game animal or bird. However, for garden pests that you just want gone, I found that I could riddle an aluminum can fairly well at 25-30 yards, and remember standing on the roof of the Club trap house and getting a chip off almost every straightaway clay bird that came out under me, if I could get on it immediately.

C. Sharps Arms makes a rather costly but nice replica of the 922 rifle now. It's better made, no doubt, than the originals. I wonder what a modern replica of the medium-frame one, with a screwed-in barrel and made of better alloy than the malleable-iron originals, could take as far as a modern smokeless cartridge. The mechanism is more or less like the Remington-Hepburn, and cartridge pressures for that are limited only to the extent that the rebounding hammer will allow primers to flow into the firing pin channel and tie up the gun.

Anyway, it's kind of a cute little thing, evocative of a less-urbanized, more leisurely time. The large holes in the patterning discs are the wax wads, which may be more lethal than the shot charge. I once fired six shots out of a friend's .410 gauge Taurus Judge at an aluminum can at 15 yards, and found only one pellet hole in the can, even though the dust raised all around the can was quite impressive. So maybe this little gun isn't all that ineffective, after all.

Neat gun you got there ! At gun shows I am always looking for just such a rifle. I have a Merwin & Hulbert falling block 22 which is the same gun as the H&A model 922 and a 16ga. Hopkins & Allen falling block that I rebuilt in to a 50-70 rifle.
    I have never run across a H&A medium frame such as yours. I like them because of their simple design and decent quality and every once in a while you can find a serviceable one for low price that you would never find in any other early falling block.
    Thanks for your story of how you built yours and how you enjoy it. In a world of AR’s and other black guns these old timers are my favorites.

Jedman
    Last edited by Jedman; 11-08-2020 at 10:32 PM.

Boolit Master
    Nice looking gun!

I've been hoping to find a medium frame for sale at a reasonable price at some point, but I never have. I've run across 2 small frame guns in .44 XL shot, and one in 44-40 that had every appearance of being a factory rifle(!).

I bought one of the .44 shotguns, but was outbid on the other .44's. The one I ended up with had been bored out to accept a 410 shell, but I've never fired one from it. Instead I installed a .32 barrel on the action. I just don't know if I'd trust that little action to hold a modern 410 shell.
    Nozombies.com Practical Zombie Survival

Collecting .32 molds. Please let me know if you have one you don't need, cause I might "need" it!