WidenersLoad DataRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders JerkyInline FabricationLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Titan Reloading Reloading Everything
Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Primer Shortage?

Quote Originally Posted by WheelgunConvert View Post
    End game is adapt to your situation. Practice perfect. Every shot.

Unless you have a suggestion for improvement, stop crapping on your allies. It’s rude and this place is above that petty attitude.

Keep your mask handy and your socks dry.
    Yes all friends here, just wanted to speak up for those that are finding it hard in these strange times.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Idaho45guy View Post
    I was married for twenty years and was never more than a casual shooter and certainly didn't reload. I didn't get into reloading until after my divorce in 2013, and certainly didn't have any spare change until a couple of years ago and started trying to stock up. I started grabbing the extra box of bullets, or tray of primers, or can of powder last Fall.

I was starting to feel good about what I had in January, then everything suddenly dried up.

I see people online who like to belittle others for not having 100k primers and call them names and boast about their stockpile and it is really sad. Not everyone has been reloading for decades and slowly building up stock, nor had the money to purchase in bulk the last couple of years.
    While I will not talk down to someone, or brag about my own supplies, I feel less bad about the current situation than ever before. We all knew it was coming. It may have well been advertised with neon lights. No, not everyone has a crazy stockpile. If you don't , all you can do is make due with what you have. FYI for those that seem surprised by this shortage, it will happen in 2024 too. There should be some time in there 2022-2023 where there will be availability. Plan ahead, or don't, but don't come onto a forum after a year like this and say, "did I miss something?" Reloading supplies, at least in my lifetime, have never been a steady availability, and never will be.

Boolit Master

I stopped by my FFL's house/shop which is a 30-mile round trip, to pick up a new pistol. I walked in and he had plenty of large rifle and large pistol primers, no powder, and some pistol and rifle ammo.

I had just done a count and I was a little light on large pistol primers to feed my 10mm and .45 Colt, so I grabbed a case of CCI primers. $70! Ouch! I put them back, then thought about it and reasoned that it was only $35 more than what I normally spend, and the peace of mind of having an extra 1000 primers for pistols I don't shoot all that often was worth it. So I bought them. Between the transfer fee, tax on the new gun, an AR-10 magazine, case of primers, plus a couple of boxes of ammo, I walked out of there for just under $200. Ouch.
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Idaho45guy View Post
    I was married for twenty years and was never more than a casual shooter and certainly didn't reload. I didn't get into reloading until after my divorce in 2013, and certainly didn't have any spare change until a couple of years ago and started trying to stock up. I started grabbing the extra box of bullets, or tray of primers, or can of powder last Fall.

I was starting to feel good about what I had in January, then everything suddenly dried up.

I see people online who like to belittle others for not having 100k primers and call them names and boast about their stockpile and it is really sad. Not everyone has been reloading for decades and slowly building up stock, nor had the money to purchase in bulk the last couple of years.
    The braggarts are not nice people. Rubbing it in like bullies.

Tim
    Words are weapons sharper than knives - INXS

The pen is mightier than the sword - Edward Bulwer-Lytton

The tongue is mightier than the blade - Euripides

Boolit Master
    If I was smarter I would have known that primers were a better investment than gold and silver but selling them is hard with haz mat. I could have bought a couple hundred thousand dollars worth of primers. It seems like I could have made a million in profit. Worth a haz mat license. I have ammo and primers, brass and powder that I might never use but it is not easy to sell and I don't even know if it is smart to sell now. I can sell gold with a couple mouse click but ammo stuff, shipping is a hassle. I have molds, pots, sizers and lead but why would I sell bullets?

I know I am lucky and I know people who live paycheck to paycheck and worse are living off their credit cards to pay the bills. Think they could put away a stash of primers and powder is silly. Borrow money to buy primers?

Tim

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dtknowles View Post
    If I was smarter I would have known that primers were a better investment than gold and silver but selling them is hard with haz mat. I could have bought a couple hundred thousand dollars worth of primers. It seems like I could have made a million in profit.
    On the other hand you could have been stuck with a bunch 2nd hand components that nobody wants. Just one year ago manufacturers were running rebates and retailers were running sales because nobody was buying reloading supplies. It's impossible to know what the future holds. If Covid hadn't hit primers would probably still be possible to find.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by reddog81 View Post
    It's impossible to know what the future holds. If Covid hadn't hit primers would probably still be possible to find.

Not a chance. This shortage is no mystery. It will happen again in 4 more years too. It is very easy to predict.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by megasupermagnum View Post
    Not a chance. This shortage is no mystery. It will happen again in 4 more years too. It is very easy to predict.
    Why will there be a shortage in 2024.

Boolit Grand Master
    Election year

Boolit Buddy
    If you didn't have the money to buy components over the last two years I ask this. Over the last two years how many times a month did you eat out for lunch and supper? If you ate out at least once a month how much did you spend? How much would you have saved if you had eaten at home? Would whatever you spent eating out opposed to staying home per month be enough to purchase a brick of 22's, a pound of powder or 500 primers? If you didn't save enough to buy one of these things how many months would it take?
    USAF (Retired) 1985-2005

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by megasupermagnum View Post
    Last time around(2013-2014) primers weren't too hard to find. I could call around and find some anytime I tried. You couldn't be picky about brand and might have to buy magnum primers, but they were easy to find. Handgun powder on the other hand was impossible to get and AR's were going for $1,500.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Friends call me Pac View Post
    If you didn't have the money to buy components over the last two years I ask this. Over the last two years how many times a month did you eat out for lunch and supper? If you ate out at least once a month how much did you spend? How much would you have saved if you had eaten at home? Would whatever you spent eating out opposed to staying home per month be enough to purchase a brick of 22's, a pound of powder or 500 primers? If you didn't save enough to buy one of these things how many months would it take?
    My first wife rarely went shooting with me and only as a favor to me. She did like to go out to eat at nice restaurants. Skipping eating out to save for primers would have been seriously selfish.

Tim

Boolit Master

i doubt that we will have a component shortage in 2024 because this one will still be going on.

as to not eating out once a month to buy primers, well taking your wife out on a date is more important, if you eat out all the time I could understand your logic but once a month is really splurging and your spouse deserves it, guess you could cancel your car insurance, that would buy you a few primers but at what cost.

if somebody was going to starbucks every day and then complaining about not being able to stock up then I have no sympathy.
    if you are ever being chased by a taxidermist, don't play dead

I wish to apologize to anyone that I might have offended with my post . That was not my intentions, I know in my heart we are all good people. Take Care and Happy Thanksgiving to all

And if you smoke or drink...

Reminds me of when folks say they don't have time when in fact they simply choose to not make certain things a priority. If you watch tv you can rarely say you don't have time for something else. Very similar concepts with money.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by brstevns View Post
    I wish to apologize to anyone that I might have offended with my post . That was not my intentions, I know in my heart we are all good people. Take Care and Happy Thanksgiving to all
    You have nothing to apologize for. Some of us have a dual whammy of Covid lockdown and crappy weather cabin fever....I am in that group. Sometimes we are less sensitive or understanding than we should be.

And we have different priorities and circumstances. And we tend to make assumptions without enough information.
    Don Verna

I used to work with kids that had a $600 cell phone, and nothing short of $100 tennis shoes & $50 blue jeans would do.
    Rather than anything used--- only a brand new $35,000. 'city truck' would be good enough for them.
    Then couldn't figure out why they were always broke when something fun came along that cost a few bucks and they couldn't go.

These same guys never thought twice about going to the drive up window, spend $12. for some soggy bread, grease, and salt.
    But $8-9. for a ribeye steak and a big baking potato was WAY too expensive.

And years back, someone said they couldn't join the NRA because it was too expensive. (back when it cost $35 a year.)
    I told them it wasn't the money, it was their priorities. They said, "Huh"?
    I told them, "Yeah. If it cost $35. to get yourself out of jail, do ya think you could come up with it"?
    Last edited by Winger Ed.; 11-26-2020 at 10:22 PM.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master

Primer Shortage is a USA Phenomena

Did a search on Primers this evening. Seems that if one goes to the North Side of Lake Erie; there are primers available in Canada:

https://www.bullseyenorth.com/reloading-primers

Cost is about $5.00 per 100 (converted from Canada Dollar to US Dollar).

also:

http://www.thebulletbarn.com/primers.html
    Last edited by MUSTANG; 11-26-2020 at 10:14 PM.
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

Boolit Master

My reloading/gun uncle worked a regular job in the '50s and '60s. Had the typical housewife, 5 kids, dog and mortgage. He was real big into guns and reloading. He tested every powder when it came out and also swaged bullets. He even had a chronograph back then when the local doctors couldn't afford them(there is a bit of back story to this).

His regular job kept the household going. To pay for the guns and reloading he works 2 Saturdays a month at a different job. Of course some people today are doing that now just for the household or live where there is no extra work to be found. But if the shoe fits, wear it.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by perotter View Post
    My reloading/gun uncle worked a regular job in the '50s and '60s. Had the typical housewife, 5 kids, dog and mortgage. He was real big into guns and reloading. He tested every powder when it came out and also swaged bullets. He even had a chronograph back then when the local doctors couldn't afford them(there is a bit of back story to this).

His regular job kept the household going. To pay for the guns and reloading he works 2 Saturdays a month at a different job. Of course some people today are doing that now just for the household or live where there is no extra work to be found. But if the shoe fits, wear it.
    For years after I got married, I paid for my hobbies with earnings outside my regular paycheck or from Christmas or Birthday gifts. After the kids were grown and my paycheck got a lot bigger only then did I spend "household" money on myself.

Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast