RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingLoad DataTitan Reloading
Wideners Inline Fabrication
Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Primer Shortage?

Boolit Master
    As long as I stay with one shot one kill I’ve got enough to last. Barring fire or theft, and blasting paper. I think I’ll hide some in different areas of the Ponderosa.

Quote Originally Posted by Blanket View Post
    no sympathy from me, if folks weren't smart enough to prepare after the last 2 or three shortages they get what they get
    There you go! There are many that cannot afford to hoard powder, primers, bullets. They have bills to pay, mouths to feed, insurance bills, etc. They hope they can find what they need when they can afford it. More power to those that always buy more than they will ever use or need. It has been that way since the beginning of time.

Banned
    that is funny, not hoarding at all. Raised a family as well. bought a sleeve of primers or a box of bullets everytime I went to the LGS. Maybe you should have skipped over a night out and prepared

Boolit Man

The money argument requires a lifestyle change to overcome. Apply the Use it Up, Wear it Out, Make it Do, or Do Without. That will free up money so that when the deals come around, they can then take advantage of them. Once they start doing that the savings are “reinvested” in more deals saving more and building their stock. Buy it cheap and stack it deep.
    Link to leave feedback for me.

Will Rogers 1879 - 1935:
    The problem ain't what people know. It's what people know that ain't so that's the problem.
    Everybody is ignorant. Only on different subjects.
    There are three kinds of men. The ones that learn by readin’. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.

Boolit Master
    ive yet to see one of those hoarder shows where the people are tripping over cases of primers or other reloading supplies. I guess its all the closet hoarders that have all the primers

Banned
    Primers are now becoming available but are hard to find. The last report of stores selling primers was in S Dakota.

Sportsmans warehouse still occasionally get LRP and LRMP, have yet to see SRP or SPP in my part of the country

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by brstevns View Post
    There you go! There are many that cannot afford to hoard powder, primers, bullets. They have bills to pay, mouths to feed, insurance bills, etc. They hope they can find what they need when they can afford it. More power to those that always buy more than they will ever use or need. It has been that way since the beginning of time.
    Thank You!! You are definitely in touch with reality, just like MOST of us, and as for that "the last 2 or 3 shortages" thing, THAT guy is NOT in touch with reality.

Boolit Master
    that is funny, not hoarding at all. Raised a family as well. bought a sleeve of primers or a box of bullets everytime I went to the LGS. Maybe you should have skipped over a night out and prepared
    I don't know what world you are living in, but certainly it is not the same world as the rest of us live in. Maybe yours is a fantasy world?

Quote Originally Posted by Froogal View Post
    I don't know what world you are living in, but certainly it is not the same world as the rest of us live in. Maybe yours is a fantasy world?
    Thanks to those that understand what I was trying to say.
    Need to ask yourself, how many rounds do I fire a year. I believe most will say less than 1000 rounds a year, not counting rimfire.

What's a night out? Something I never had!

Back when primers were stacked high on the shelves at $30 a brick, 1200 bucks could have bought you 40k primers. That was less than a decent AR or 2 mid range rifles. But I never saw anyone stocking up, besides myself and a few others. And that was at 30...I bought a crap ton of those cabela's s&b for 18 a brick. And even those weren't selling out.

I certainly feel for the new reloaders, but for everyone else, not so much.

If you've been casting and loading for at least 4 years, you should have tons of lead and stacks of primers and it would have all been on the cheap

Boolit Master

I was married for twenty years and was never more than a casual shooter and certainly didn't reload. I didn't get into reloading until after my divorce in 2013, and certainly didn't have any spare change until a couple of years ago and started trying to stock up. I started grabbing the extra box of bullets, or tray of primers, or can of powder last Fall.

I was starting to feel good about what I had in January, then everything suddenly dried up.

I see people online who like to belittle others for not having 100k primers and call them names and boast about their stockpile and it is really sad. Not everyone has been reloading for decades and slowly building up stock, nor had the money to purchase in bulk the last couple of years.
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Sometimes things happen and Money is just not there. Reloading supplies become a luxury, the necessities of life come first.
    Enough said.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Idaho45guy View Post
    I was married for twenty years and was never more than a casual shooter and certainly didn't reload. I didn't get into reloading until after my divorce in 2013, and certainly didn't have any spare change until a couple of years ago and started trying to stock up. I started grabbing the extra box of bullets, or tray of primers, or can of powder last Fall.

I was starting to feel good about what I had in January, then everything suddenly dried up.

I see people online who like to belittle others for not having 100k primers and call them names and boast about their stockpile and it is really sad. Not everyone has been reloading for decades and slowly building up stock, nor had the money to purchase in bulk the last couple of years.
    BINGO!! You said a mouthful right there. I've been doing this for a few years now and have never experienced ANY kind of shortage until now.

Boolit Master
    Bad thing is there are some folks who have just now started getting interested in reloading. Not everyone has been reloading like a lot of us for 30 or 40 years. And at a time when we need to encourage them, if for no other reason than potential voters - wham! - no components.
    Britons shall never be slaves.

Boolit Grand Master
    Thanks to those that understand what I was trying to say.
    Need to ask yourself, how many rounds do I fire a year. I believe most will say less than 1000 rounds a year, not counting rimfire.
    You are so wrong. I doubt fewer than 2% of the members here shoot less than 1000 rounds/yr. If you shoot that little, and do not have a 5 years supply of components, you have made poor choices for many months. 5000 primers during normal times were $150.

All you can do now is learn from it. You could be proactive and put away $10/wk for the next six months. That will give you $260 to invest in components when (if) things get back to "normal". I would suggest buying powder now if you have some extra funds as it is still available at decent prices. Or follow your current strategy and wait for it to be scare and pricey and complain about it then.
    Don Verna

Banned
    good luck with your reality search for components plenty of primers on gunbroker

Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    You are so wrong. I doubt fewer than 2% of the members here shoot less than 1000 rounds/yr. If you shoot that little, and do not have a 5 years supply of components, you have made poor choices for many months. 5000 primers during normal times were $150.

All you can do now is learn from it. You could be proactive and put away $10/wk for the next six months. That will give you $260 to invest in components when (if) things get back to "normal". I would suggest buying powder now if you have some extra funds as it is still available at decent prices. Or follow your current strategy and wait for it to be scare and pricey and complain about it then.
    You are just not understanding what I am saying. Not everyone can stop by the LGS or go to a Gunshow to stock up.
    I am not complaining. I am just trying to say many people do not have the funds to even buy those deals when they see them.
    Good to those that can.
    It is their Money and they can do with it as they please. Just do not come down so hard on people that are on small incomes or SS and already or stretching their funds just to survive. They do not need to hear they should have done this or that just because you have a stockpile of loading supplies and they do not. That 150.00 may not mean much to you but to them it might as well be 1500.00

I began loading in 1973. Had to scrape for a 100 primers. A pound of powder for rifle & one for pistol was about all that was here. I understand not being able to purchase a stock of stuff to last through these shortages & feel for you guys in that boat. I kept myself from gun purchases & spent the extra on powder & primers. Don't have many guns but what I have I can shoot & shoot plenty over the next 5 or 7 years. That's what worked for me. Maybe things will settle down & you guys can get a few things before long or at least I hope so.

Boolit Buddy

End game is adapt to your situation. Practice perfect. Every shot.

Unless you have a suggestion for improvement, stop crapping on your allies. It’s rude and this place is above that petty attitude.

Keep your mask handy and your socks dry.
    Stronger, Prouder and Greater!

Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast