Inline FabricationReloading EverythingLoad DataRotoMetals2
Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingRepackboxSnyders Jerky
Wideners MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516 LastLast

Thread: Primer Shortage?

Boolit Master
    After my planned session at the reloading bench today, I will have exactly 100 large pistol primers still in the box. BUT, after today, I will have enough loaded ammo to last for several years.

Boolit Master

How many have saved/are saving/will be saving primers to rebuild using one of the methods found on this site (such as Toy Caps, Primer Mix and charge old primer)?
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Castaway View Post
    What I don’t understand is why, after a hurricane, the State Attorney General prosecutes those who overcharge for water, chain saws, generators, gasoline or other commodities. Same rules should apply to a loaded ammo or primers.
    Many reasons you are incorrect...but the one you may accept is:

Primers are not a commodity. Almost no one needs primers or ammunition to survive. I doubt less than one primer in 10,000 is used to make ammunition used in self defense or to put meat on the table. If someone is in those circumstances, 200 primers will last a long time and they should not be using them up shooting for "fun". They are too poor to shoot.

BTW, if someone feels primers and ammunition are essential to survive, and does not have enough to do so, they have made poor choices. I have given ammunition to people like that; but they get one or two boxes and told firmly there is no more.... do not piss it away.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MUSTANG View Post
    How many have saved/are saving/will be saving primers to rebuild using one of the methods found on this site (such as Toy Caps, Primer Mix and charge old primer)?
    I was doing that before the panic.

Tim
    Words are weapons sharper than knives - INXS

The pen is mightier than the sword - Edward Bulwer-Lytton

The tongue is mightier than the blade - Euripides

Boolit Master
    I have saved every primer since I began reloading, along with the trays and boxes. Doubtful I will ever attempt to reload those primers, but it is still good to know it is possible.

Banned

I had a great surprise today. I was able to get a brick of Federal SRP's today at the LGS for $41 + tax. I had gotten 300 from an awesome member here, mooman76, a couple weeks ago. I had a reserve in at the LGS for two or three months, I forgot all about it and they called this evening and said to come pick them up. Nope, not for AR's. They are for some Federal 6.5 Creedmoor cases of mine. I am in with primers now for a good while. I was surprised that we now have primers in Podunk Illinois. I don't know how long though.

Boolit Buddy
    Trays and boxes too? That would almost be classified as a hoarder.

Don't think I'll be rebuilding any primers.

Banned

Got an email from Midway that remington sp primers are now discontinued. I would guess that all Remington primers are now gone.

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tomme boy View Post
    Got an email from Midway that remington sp primers are now discontinued. I would guess that all Remington primers are now gone.
    Midway lists all their items “discontinued” they decide not to sell anymore as well.

Boolit Grand Master
    I have neither the desire or need. If I was low on primers, I would start shooting air powered pistols and rifles for fun, and conserve primers for self defense and hunting. In those applications I want to use what I know will work. Unless there is a civil war, 1000 primers are a lifetime supply at my age. Even at $200/1000, that is affordable.

It would be informative if those who have remanufactured primers would share the cost and time required to do 100. I am guessing about 2 hours to make 100.
    Don Verna

Banned
    And remember your earlier post,sad your from Iowa

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Froogal View Post
    I have saved every primer since I began reloading, along with the trays and boxes. Doubtful I will ever attempt to reload those primers, but it is still good to know it is possible.
    You certainly live up to your screen name!

All of my used primers had a second life; as boolit alloy. The metal recycler took them in trade for scrap lead.

Tankgunner, was that price at your LGS typical or higher than preshortage?

Quote Originally Posted by tommag View Post
    Only $899/case, what a bargain!
    https://www.gunbroker.com/item/883757489
    22 cents per-primer is a steal compared to this offer for 8lbs of powder at an approximate cost of almost $4 an Ounce!
    https://www.gunbroker.com/item/887065856

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post

It would be informative if those who have remanufactured primers would share the cost and time required to do 100. I am guessing about 2 hours to make 100.
    The price to do it with a corrosive mix one can figure between $0.30 to $1.00 per 1000. With a non-corrosive mix one should figure $1.00 to $5.00 per 1000, depending on which mix and what you have to start with.

The time really varies because of what equipment one has and how many you want to make. If you do them one at a time I'd allow 45 minutes to an hour for it.

I have primer plates that are made along the lines of what are or have been used. For some sizes they will do 100 at a time. Using that one it would be 10 minutes at the most if making a total of 100.

I've never done it, but I'd estimate that with plates for making 100 at a time one should be able to 2000 to 3000 per hour.

If someone wants to try making some, I'd recommend at least make a single primer plate that holds 5 to 10 cups. No need to make the match plates to start out with for it, IMO.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by perotter View Post
    The price to do it with a corrosive mix one can figure between $0.30 to $1.00 per 1000. With a non-corrosive mix one should figure $1.00 to $5.00 per 1000, depending on which mix and what you have to start with.

The time really varies because of what equipment one has and how many you want to make. If you do them one at a time I'd allow 45 minutes to an hour for it.

I have primer plates that are made along the lines of what are or have been used. For some sizes they will do 100 at a time. Using that one it would be 10 minutes at the most if making a total of 100.

I've never done it, but I'd estimate that with plates for making 100 at a time one should be able to 2000 to 3000 per hour.

If someone wants to try making some, I'd recommend at least make a single primer plate that holds 5 to 10 cups. No need to make the match plates to start out with for it, IMO.
    Could be a good business opportunity for some of our better forum fabricators.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by kevin c View Post
    You certainly live up to your screen name!

All of my used primers had a second life; as boolit alloy. The metal recycler took them in trade for scrap lead.

Tankgunner, was that price at your LGS typical or higher than preshortage?
    About $8 higher than pre-shortage. But it's better than what they are going for on GB. I have plenty of all other primers I need. I actually don't own a small rifle. I have a 6.5 Creedmoor, and after buying 100 Federal cartridges and firing some I found they use SRP's instead of LRP's. I got a deal from a member here and he also had some of the SRP's he let me buy from him. I had completely forgotten about the reserve I had at the LGS. There is a local retailer that has a gun desk and department, and they get the Federals in from time to time. So now I won't be concerned if thats all I can find.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Blanket View Post
    And remember your earlier post,sad your from Iowa
    ??? What do you mean? That was my only post on this thread besides this one

Well with the last order, I am sitting at 10,000 plus primers. Should last till retirement

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Retumbo View Post
    Well with the last order, I am sitting at 10,000 plus primers. Should last till retirement
    10,000 does not sound like a lot. I have not purchased primers for years but I use large pistol, small pistol, large rifle, small rifle, bench rest small rifles, magnum small pistol, magnum large pistol, magnum large rifle, 209's and number 11 percussion caps. One box of each would be 10,000 primers if I only tried one brand I know I have more than one brand of some of the ones I use most often. I did not do an inventory but each time I take out a sleeve, if I am low I make a note but stock up and I have no note on being short of anything.

Tim
    Words are weapons sharper than knives - INXS

The pen is mightier than the sword - Edward Bulwer-Lytton

The tongue is mightier than the blade - Euripides

Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516 LastLast