Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee PrecisionRepackboxInline FabricationWideners
Load Data Titan Reloading
Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Primer Shortage?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MUSTANG View Post
    Did a search on Primers this evening. Seems that if one goes to the North Side of Lake Erie; there are primers available in Canada:

https://www.bullseyenorth.com/reloading-primers

Cost is about $5.00 per 100 (converted from Canada Dollar to US Dollar).

also:

http://www.thebulletbarn.com/primers.html
    ya we have a few primers, but stuff is drying up

and You can not get stuff across the border .... either way

in the past, I have seen deals on your side.... all i can say is I wish

In A Canada Dollar 2 years ago primers were $50/1000 for standard primers cci/ win /fed .... match stuff more
    now it is 55-60 where I have heard you were paying 22-25/1000 a year ago

So everything we buy is twice what you pay

Egads, why people do or do not buy shooting stuff is no reason to call them anything.

Braggards, (I wouldn't call them that) serve a purpose, that being to "potentially" wake up slow learners, and slow to the draw coulda-shoulda-woulda types hopefully make it clear to others in similar situations to keep supplies on hand.
    Regards,

Gary

Boolit Buddy
    If you are brand new at reloading I can sympathize. You have walked into a mess. But if you have been reloading for at least 2 years and you don't have any components I tried to give some advice of what you could have done. It is also advice for what you can prepare for when the components are once again available. Well I guess my advice didn't go over very well. When I left home in 1985 I had $8 in my pocket so I do know what it is to be poor. Probably is better to listen to someone else.
    Last edited by Friends call me Pac; 11-27-2020 at 01:26 PM. Reason: not needed
    USAF (Retired) 1985-2005

Boolit Master

Went to "Shop" early this morning. Wife wanted paper cup cake liners. After picking them up went to Cabellas and Murdochs.

Murdochs: Picked up the last 4 lbs of Winchester 748 that are located in the State of Montana. (Get it while it's there. I need to load 1000 .223's in next ,month or so.) Gun counter rep stated "We do not expect to see any primers from our distributer for 6 months to a year."

Cabella: Gun counter rep stated "We do not expect to see any primers from our distributer for at least 6 months."

Expect a dry year.
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

Boolit Grand Master
    Mustang,

Those are ominous predictions. But they fit my guess at the mess we are facing.

I keep checking Gunbroker and see no let up in pricing.

There was a gentleman here who purchased 10k primers at $70/1000 a few weeks ago and it looks like he made a wise move. I just sold 1000 for $30 to my doctor as he had just bought a 9mm and had never loaded for pistols before so had no inventory.
    Don Verna

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by dtknowles View Post
    If I was smarter I would have known that primers were a better investment than gold and silver but selling them is hard with haz mat. I could have bought a couple hundred thousand dollars worth of primers. It seems like I could have made a million in profit. Worth a haz mat license. I have ammo and primers, brass and powder that I might never use but it is not easy to sell and I don't even know if it is smart to sell now. I can sell gold with a couple mouse click but ammo stuff, shipping is a hassle. I have molds, pots, sizers and lead but why would I sell bullets?

I know I am lucky and I know people who live paycheck to paycheck and worse are living off their credit cards to pay the bills. Think they could put away a stash of primers and powder is silly. Borrow money to buy primers?

Tim
    Why will there be a shortage in 2024.
    Tim,
    Maybe you know this, maybe you don't...or maybe you won't believe this.
    BUT, now is the time to buy AR-15 guns, mags, ammo, components...if you want to invest in future returns.
    prices haven't increased much ...YET ...and these are still available.

With hindsight, we can see why small pistol Primers and 9mm ammo is now scarce and high priced. There was really no warning for the urban riots that caused this buying frenzy.

Today, we know what political party will be in the White House in Feb 2021, "they" may also have control in the Senate. If that is the case (yeah, it's a 50-50 thing with the Senate), one of the first things they will do is try to reinstate the Assault weapons ban...It's in their platform for God's sake. And even if they are unsuccessful, it will incite a buying frenzy and prices will sky rocket...a repeat of 2014. I recall seeing a $400 plain jane AR-15 go for $2k, also back then, I was selling 223/556 brass for stupid high prices at the local gunshow.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JonB_in_Glencoe View Post
    Tim,
    BUT, now is the time to buy AR-15 guns, mags, ammo, components...if you want to invest in future returns.

With hindsight, we can see why small pistol Primers and 9mm ammo is now scarce and high priced. There was really no warning for the urban riots that caused this buying frenzy.

Today, we know what political party will be in the White House in Feb 2021, "they" may also have control in the Senate. If that is the case (yeah, it's a 50-50 thing with the Senate), one of the first things they will do is try to reinstate the Assault weapons ban...It's in their platform for God's sake. And even if they are unsuccessful, it will incite a buying frenzy and prices will sky rocket...a repeat of 2014. I recall seeing a $400 plain jane AR-15 go for $2k, also back then, I was selling 223/556 brass for stupid high prices at the local gunshow.
    Thanks for the heads up. I had not been checking prices. I bought my first and only AR after Trump won and they were going cheap. I would have expected prices to have risen. Buying a bunch of AR's to resell without an FFL is actually a crime. One or two or even 5 if spread over a few months might not draw much attention but if I went and bought a dozen in one go I would fear a visit from the Jack Boots.

Tim
    Words are weapons sharper than knives - INXS

The pen is mightier than the sword - Edward Bulwer-Lytton

The tongue is mightier than the blade - Euripides

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JonB_in_Glencoe View Post
    Tim,

Ding, Ding, Ding....we have a winner.

Which leads to whether to sell the ones I can let go of during the panic or "hope" they are classed under the NFA and wait for prices to go really nuts in a few years.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master

Thanks for the heads up. I had not been checking prices. I bought my first and only AR after Trump won and they were going cheap. I would have expected prices to have risen. Buying a bunch of AR's to resell without an FFL is actually a crime. One or two or even 5 if spread over a few months might not draw much attention but if I went and bought a dozen in one go I would fear a visit from the Jack Boots.

Tim
    You could make transfers through a FFL and not run any risk.

Boolit Master
    Went to my local shop to browse. Instead of walking out without the courtesy of spending something I spied a box of Federal large pistol @ $50 and given the current scenario splurged. Yeah I felt a little guilty overpaying but what's the downside risk $20? I suppose as long as we don't spend really stupid money on primers the reality for most shooters in the country is the price of 1000 rounds of factory 44mag or 45 Colt - ouch!

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Ed K View Post
    Went to my local shop to browse. Instead of walking out without the courtesy of spending something I spied a box of Federal large pistol @ $50 and given the current scenario splurged. Yeah I felt a little guilty overpaying but what's the downside risk $20? I suppose as long as we don't spend really stupid money on primers the reality for most shooters in the country is the price of 1000 rounds of factory 44mag or 45 Colt - ouch!
    You should be happy you found them and the price is going to look cheap...real cheap...in a short time.
    Don Verna

Buying guns from a dealer and then reselling them without an FFL face to face is still legal in Texas. I don't know about other countries.
    I'm not talking about "Straw Purchases".
    Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

So, if primers do show up in six months, how long is the pent up demand going to keep primers scare? I could image another half a year or so. I would not mind buying 10,000 primers at pre panic prices after they become available.

How many more are going to salt primers away. I'd bet a bunch!
    "...journalism may be the greatest plague we face today - as the world becomes more and more complicated and our minds are trained for more and more simplification"
    Nassim Taleb
    'Fooled by Randomness'

Boolit Master

Tim
    I bought a spare AR before the 2016 election for $600. A couple of years later, I could buy the same AR for $500. Today, they are $800, if you can find one. I've shot it once.

In the state I live in, to sell it would be a major hassle. I have to go through an FFL, and the buyer has to show he has taken an approved firearms safety class, pay an extra $20, and wait 10-days to take possession.

Just not worth it to me.

Now, if I had 5 of them, and they prices went up to $1500, then it may be worth it, but would be skirting the confines of the laws, and I'm just not comfortable doing that.
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Boolit Master
    was in a very old gun/pawn shop in northeast tn, for as long as I've been going there they have no less than 8- rifle racks that are probably each about 10 feet long completely filled with rifles and shotguns in addition to the glass cases. and a big shelf section full of ammo. well today more than half the rifles are gone, there were a few odds and ends of handguns in the cases. no ammo, none, nada--all gone, no primers, no powder
    as far as how much shooting do folks do? good question maybe for one of those polls.
    I guess I'm an average shooter and probably cast, load and shoot on average I wanna say 50 to 100 rounds a week, that includes rifle handgun and shotgun, I'll shoot maybe a at least 50 to 100 rounds of stuff like 9mm, 40s&W at a time but stuff like 30-06, 30-30 not as many as that per shooting session but stuff like 357, 41, 44 mags and 45 colt in the Rossi's its easy and fun to 100 rounds a session, so on average lets say 100 rounds a week x 52 = 5200 primers a year x2 for just in case, kind of a safety margin thing.
    so if I was to adequately prepare for these shortages that we've been getting hit with I would want about 40,000 primers per presidential term limit. well I guess I'm not that good of a prepper after taking this unbiased self evaluation.
    I better start becoming frugal with what I do have

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Ickisrulz View Post
    You could make transfers through a FFL and not run any risk.
    That is something to consider.

Tim

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    Buying guns from a dealer and then reselling them without an FFL face to face is still legal in Texas. I don't know about other countries.
    I'm not talking about "Straw Purchases".
    Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk
    I was talking about Federal Law. Trading guns more that just occasionally is consider being in the business of dealing in firearms and that requires a license. Buying a lot of brand new guns, never firing any of them and then selling them makes you a dealer.

Tim

Boolit Master
    I never heard of buying multiple of guns illegal? every time rock island has an auction there are lots of guns that sometimes include as many as 10 guns at a time.
    I know I once won a lot of 5 and filled out 1 form at the gun shop they were shipped to, no problems in any way, does not matter if they are shotguns, 22's or ar or ak's
    you fill out one form for each purchase day at any shop. that is how its been in all the different states I have lived in, once bought 3 stripped lowers, filled out 1 form for the sale. and I sure aint no dealer or ffl holder, just a hobbyist

Quote Originally Posted by farmbif View Post
    I never heard of buying multiple of guns illegal?
    It's not.
    For more than one handgun purchase in 5 days or less, the dealer has to send a multiple purchase form to the ATF/DOJ
    and the chief LEO designated to receive them in your state or country.

In 4 states- including Texas, ATF/DOJ gets a copy of the same form for multiple purchases of semi-auto, magazine fed rifles.
    If you aren't in one of the 4 states, you're good.
    Its not a federal law, but applies in those 4 states, and the ATF has agreed to enforce it.
    It was granted in 2011, extended in 2018, and is set to expire 31Jan2021.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by farmbif View Post
    I never heard of buying multiple of guns illegal? every time rock island has an auction there are lots of guns that sometimes include as many as 10 guns at a time.
    I know I once won a lot of 5 and filled out 1 form at the gun shop they were shipped to, no problems in any way, does not matter if they are shotguns, 22's or ar or ak's
    you fill out one form for each purchase day at any shop. that is how its been in all the different states I have lived in, once bought 3 stripped lowers, filled out 1 form for the sale. and I sure aint no dealer or ffl holder, just a hobbyist
    Yep, you only bought 5 and it is not the buying that gets you in trouble it is the selling. They are not clear on how many is too many but if you are buying and selling at a large scale to make a profit you are supposed to have an FFL.

From the ATF website:

https://www.atf.gov/file/100871/download

"As a general rule, you will need a license if you repetitively buy and
    sell firearms with the principal motive of making a profit. In contrast,
    if you only make occasional sales of firearms from your personal
    collection, you do not need to be licensed"

The idea that brought this up was if we bought a couple hundred thousand of primers when prices were normal and sold them now we could have made a lot of money. Someone responded that AR's are not all that expensive right now maybe the same thing could be done with AR's. I said that could get you in trouble with the ATF.

There is an exception for liquidating a collection. If you bought a bunch of guns over a period of years but want to sell them all at once that is Ok. If you buy someone's collection and then start selling it that is not really allowed without a FFL.

Tim

Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast