RepackboxRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingWidenersInline Fabrication
Lee Precision Load Data
Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 LastLast

Thread: Primer Shortage?

Boolit Bub
    Primers and powder readily available 3 years ago. You should have bought some then.price was up but looks good now

In 2017 LC had ~9B$ of Gov. ammo orders (7.62,9mm, 50 cal. & 223). And a primer facility explosion (ATK). Understand they also make some Hornady 223 stuff. Loneoak supposedly is ready to run again and the ATK(?) desert plant + Sig L.R. They are running full steam so we get to wait.
    Whatever!

Boolit Bub
    Now unumtanium.

Boolit Bub
    If you aint got it you won't.

Boolit Master
    I just checked gunbrokers. The average price of small rifle and pistol primers is roughly $180-200 per brick when the auction ends.
    East Tennessee

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by snowwolfe View Post
    I just checked gunbrokers. The average price of small rifle and pistol primers is roughly $180-200 per brick when the auction ends.
    We may have seen the peak of the spike, or near it though. Prices for loaded .223 on Gun Broker have become somewhat stable in a range of $1.00 to $1.20 per round depending on variety. I am actually seeing some .223's on the shelves at several locations such as Sportsmans & Ski Haus, and Murdochs in Kalispell. There were 40 to 100 boxes of 20 at each locations several times when I went in over the last week to 10 days. Prices were about $7.50 per box. Supplies were limited to "Foreign Produced" in what they were offering; but there seems to be some stabilization (peak) occurring for now. This could mean that as shelves begin to slowly be refilled; we should see prices on auction houses slowly diminish if this occurs. Of course, it will be a slow process and any dramatic actions by the Congress/President in the next year could alter that current trajectory.

I am still hearing from sales staff that it will be 6 months to a year before we se primers available.
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

Quote Originally Posted by MUSTANG View Post
    We may have seen the peak of the spike, or near it though. Prices for loaded .223 on Gun Broker have become somewhat stable in a range of $1.00 to $1.20 per round depending on variety. I am actually seeing some .223's on the shelves at several locations such as Sportsmans & Ski Haus, and Murdochs in Kalispell. There were 40 to 100 boxes of 20 at each locations several times when I went in over the last week to 10 days. Prices were about $7.50 per box. Supplies were limited to "Foreign Produced" in what they were offering; but there seems to be some stabilization (peak) occurring for now. This could mean that as shelves begin to slowly be refilled; we should see prices on auction houses slowly diminish if this occurs. Of course, it will be a slow process and any dramatic actions by the Congress/President in the next year could alter that current trajectory.

I am still hearing from sales staff that it will be 6 months to a year before we se primers available.
    Maybe. Or maybe there will be a convenient mass shooting in February and we will be off to the races again.
    When you care enough to send the very best, send an ounce of lead.

Boolit Man

I saw large pistol primers at Graf’s on Monday. I blinked and they were gone. It took about six minutes with each purchaser limited to 5000.
    Link to leave feedback for me.

Will Rogers 1879 - 1935:
    The problem ain't what people know. It's what people know that ain't so that's the problem.
    Everybody is ignorant. Only on different subjects.
    There are three kinds of men. The ones that learn by readin’. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.

Boolit Grand Master
    Here, we almost always have an everything problem.
    Powder, primers, haeds(bullets), ammo Even corncob and walnut for cleaning.
    I bite the bullet and buy by the case when I can.
    Have enough to get by for a while.
    With this chinese virus, haven't done much shooting all year.
    So haven't been looking for anything.
    Just hope this nonsense ends soon, so I can get back to it.

Fergit the Primers!
    Dang TOILET PAPER is again short around here.....

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Handloader109 View Post
    Fergit the Primers!
    Dang TOILET PAPER is again short around here.....
    There are substitutes for TP....primers....oh crap!
    Don Verna

Boolit Master
    don't you guys think that there has been enough about primers on this site!!!!!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by porthos View Post
    don't you guys think that there has been enough about primers on this site!!!!!
    We have to keep talking about them so the Primer Fairy will fly and bless us with primers.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by DDriller View Post
    We have to keep talking about them so the Primer Fairy will fly and bless us with primers.
    Fact.
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Boolit Master

Seriously; if we do not keep talking about it - there will be many less committed shooters who will give up and go back to alternate activities like knitting, or rock collecting/stacking, or paper mâché , or....
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MUSTANG View Post
    Seriously; if we do not keep talking about it - there will be many less committed shooters who will give up and go back to alternate activities like knitting, or rock collecting/stacking, or paper mâché , or....
    Or maybe even golf. Talk about boring.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by popper View Post
    In 2017 LC had ~9B$ of Gov. ammo orders (7.62,9mm, 50 cal. & 223). And a primer facility explosion (ATK). Understand they also make some Hornady 223 stuff. Loneoak supposedly is ready to run again and the ATK(?) desert plant + Sig L.R. They are running full steam so we get to wait.
    If you mean the ammunition plant in Lonoke Arkansas, their parking lot has been full of cars all week. I guess I need to reach out to some of the people that I know that work there for info.

Quote Originally Posted by Froogal View Post
    Or maybe even golf. Talk about boring.

I could get more interested in golf and even baseball if somehow it was combined with skeet.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master

Watch a tennis match, that'll put you to sleep.
    One of my father's favorite statements: "If I say a chicken dips snuff, look under his wing for the snuffbox" How I was raised, who I am.

Boolit Master

I enjoy reading these threads, just seeing where everyone is, in their own situation. Gives me a good idea where I am at.
    One of my father's favorite statements: "If I say a chicken dips snuff, look under his wing for the snuffbox" How I was raised, who I am.

Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 LastLast