Snyders JerkyWidenersInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading EverythingLoad DataLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Repackbox Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Primer Shortage?

Primers are like Unicorn droppings around here. I stop in a LGS near me every day. 9mm and .223 lasts hours when it does come in. Watched him unpack about 6 or 7 thousand LP primers. They sold within 15 minutes. He occasionally gets some through estates or friends. I buy what I see and can afford.
    Ky State Director IHMSA
    Hunter Ed Instructor
    NRA Life Member

There was a panic from Covid when many seemed to think we could reach a breakdown of society. I know gun shops emptied their shelves and a buddy sold a $150 shotgun for $250 because the supply in stores was exhausted.

You might try ammoseek web site. If you lurk there and update your search you may get lucky and catch something back in stock before it is all gone. During the powder shortage I have had them sell out of what I had in my cart, apparently they only reduce available stock to buy as it is paid for others bought what I had available to put in cart before I got through checkout. Learned my lesson, have an account so you can login in and payment info is already there, I took too long to enter credit card info that time.

Manufacturing is set to be able to meet regular demand with a small amount in the pipeline. Inventory made and sitting in a warehouse is capital invested and not making a return until it is sold so warehouse full of primers is a bunch of money not making money. So all it takes to create a perceived shortage is for demand to outstrip the available supply. The manufacturing capacity isn't diminished, just all the primers being made are snatched up and on some reloader or speculators shelf instead of on a store shelf. The available supply will normalize when that demand gets satisfied.

If I could lurk on web sites to buy primers for $52 and sell for $150 it would certainly have a lot of appeal. Especially if I was retired or laid off during corona.

The corona virus pandemic and fears of deteriorating society was the original driver, elections can prompt some increase also but not generally beyond available supply. Both at same time with the added push of president promoting the idea that the left is going to be rioting everywhere and threatening the suburbs is enough to push things past the available supply but only for awhile. There is a limit to how many people will spend $150 on a 1000 primers. There is not a limit on how many primers can be made, just on how rapidly they can be produced and on shelves.

I'm waiting for delivery of 4# jug of Bullseye powder, it seems unlike last panic powder is getting hit but not as much, There was still pistol and some rifle powders available when I bought the BE. Seems the powders used for 308 and 223/5.56 were getting hammered. Possibly many people have already bought it cheap and stacked it deep since that last shortage but didn't do as much for primers?

I also think there are more folks shooting in pistol competition that burns through ammo so they learned you can't practice if you have no ammo making components and stocked up.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

I should point out this shortage thing is sort of hit or miss. For example one can't seem to find 9mm bullets but 38 are still available. The auto loader stuff for pistol is short the revolver less so.

I do think a lot of the shortage in primers by now is driven by people snatching up available supply to resell. Like the Walmart zombies did for 22 rim fire. If you have an inside bit of information on when an order is coming in, or know someone in the retail outlets you can use that to a great financial advantage..... as long as the market run lasts. Eventually they will be selling their surplus at gun shows for the "regular" price, but have made a rather significant profit in the meantime.

I was in Walmart late at night and they had just stocked 22's I bought a nice big box just to supplement my Y2K stash for around $25 and saw the same boxes that weekend at gun show for $70 on a table of assorted brands and size boxes. The supply was there, just in that guys inventory instead of in the retail outlets he was getting his supply from.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Boolit Master
    well turns out its not just any old primer shortage what we are in is being called the greatest primer shortage of all time. here is a little info on it from people who know what they are talking about

https://www.powdervalleyinc.com/why-...pply-shortage/

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by jonp View Post
    Did I miss something?
    lol! The last 9 months, apparently...'Rona, riots, and elections happened.

Primers are nowhere, and loaded ammo is nearly as scarce. If you find anything it's $$$.

Seriously, though...this has been happening regularly since the mid 90's...Shoulda been stocking up over the last couple years when we were awash in cheap components and loaded ammo.

Boolit Buddy
    I see 9mm ammo online for $0.65/rd right now (AmmoMart). Bargain price last fall was typically about $0.20/rd. If folks are paying 45 cents more per round, and IF you're willing to ignore the rules and sell to your neighbors at near that price, 15 cents for a primer is still palatable. You' even be ahead of the game it they were $300 a brick. Yes, it's extortion. But it's still the cheapest option.

NO, I am not even considering selling my reloads. Legal problems would cost me my job and my primer stash is for my own shooting.

Boolit Master

Also, it is entirely regional as evidenced by folks posting completely different experiences in different regions.

Locally, where there are lots of shooters and firearm enthusiasts, there was never a shortage of firearms. I can drive into town right now and walk out with either a Sig P365 or Springfield Armory Hellcat, the two hottest-selling CCW weapons in the country. Seems most everyone around here had all the guns they wanted.

But, certain Glock models are unobtanium. I would love a new Gen 5 G23, but those are nowhere to be found for reasonable prices anywhere.

Ammo and reloading components are wiped out and have been for months, but powder seems to be available.
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Boolit Master
    I ordered a bag of 32 S&W Long Starline brass through my local gun shop yesterday. No problem; not sought after. But he said other brass was hard to get. Sometimes it pays to stick to cartridges developed before 1909 or so; 9mm being an exception to that rule.
    Britons shall never be slaves.

Boolit Buddy
    An LGS and machine shop owner here mentioned last spring that brass was going to get more expensive and harder to get. Not particular calibers, but the brass to make the cases. I believe it was due to a drop in copper production. Since I have all the brass I'll need for a decade or two I was only listening with one ear and didn't file away the details.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by jonp View Post
    I guess I havn't been paying attention but I went online today to try and buy a box of primers and they are all gone. Did I miss something?
    Did you miss something? Covid, riots, a presidential election and threats of more riots. Yeah, you missed something.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

Boolit Master
    I figure this too shall pass, but it's going to be a while.
    Where's the Kaboom? There was supposed to be an earth shattering Kaboom.

Marvin the Martian

Boolit Master
    This current shortage is a weird one. I didn’t have a supply of 9mm jacketed bullets on hand and only 900 rounds of ammo. Started looking for bullets and came up empty everywhere. Started adding my email to be notified if any came back in stock. Twice this month got the email so placed an order. Most recent notification was today from Midway for Hornady XTP 124 gr bullets. Snagged 20 boxes so that will keep me for a year or two.
    East Tennessee

Boolit Master

Packing for a move. Looking in a box in shop and about fell out. Forgot had all these goodies! Due to nerve damage in both arms/ hands gave all presses, dies ECT to Son. May have to buy a Dillon since its less work. Have to get bottom joint in left thumb replaced and left knee , all next year when I get in new digs.
    10-x

NRA Endowment
    H.R.M.S.
    N.F.A.C.
    RVN Veteran
    VFW
    "The short memories of the American voters is what keeps our politicians in office"------Will Rogers

Boolit Master
    Well what did you find in the box?

Looks like even molds are largely out of stock. Was looking at a few lee molds at Titan and everything I was interested in was out of stock.
    When you care enough to send the very best, send an ounce of lead.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
    Looks like even molds are largely out of stock. Was looking at a few lee molds at Titan and everything I was interested in was out of stock.
    I've noticed a lot of Lee stuff is out of stock. My guess is they got hit by problems with supplies like most manufacturers did. There was a time at my company that we were genuinely concerned we would not be able to buy ear plugs, which are required due to the loud machinery. All it would take is a lack of screws to shut down all machines making bullet molds at Lee. I'm not saying that there isn't a buying spree on casting stuff, but I'm thinking a disruption to manufacturing a more logical reason.

Boolit Master
    I have a Tap O Cap to make percussion caps out of beer cans. Great idea. Maybe someone will come up with a similar idea to make primers. I know, not likely...
    What about repriming primers?
    I have a 7mm pinfire revolver and a box of very old ammo. Interesting how the pinfire ammo works.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Battis View Post
    I have a Tap O Cap to make percussion caps out of beer cans. Great idea. Maybe someone will come up with a similar idea to make primers. I know, not likely...
    What about repriming primers?
    I have a 7mm pinfire revolver and a box of very old ammo. Interesting how the pinfire ammo works.
    dude, the internet is your friend. Have you even done a search. I have books that tell the story but i am sure the internet could inform you.

I am certain you can reload that pinfire ammo but you might need percussion caps. Don't loose the pins.

Tim
    Words are weapons sharper than knives - INXS

The pen is mightier than the sword - Edward Bulwer-Lytton

The tongue is mightier than the blade - Euripides

Boolit Master
    Currently the ammo companies can make more money selling ammo than primers so they keep all their primer production for ammunition.
    EDG

Boolit Master
    dude, the internet is your friend. Have you even done a search. I have books that tell the story but i am sure the internet could inform you.
    dude, what story might you be talking about
    Oh yeah, add the ? to the end of my question.
    dude? Like, really?

Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast