Reloading EverythingWidenersLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingRepackbox
Load Data Inline Fabrication
Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213141516 LastLast

Thread: Primer Shortage?

Boolit Master

I went to Dick's in Bay Brook mall (2 hrs distance) this evening for some non shooting items. While the grandson was looking at his stuff, I wandered over to shooting stuff. Low and behold, they had some good pistols in stock, no ammunition, though. They also had some reloading dies, rifle, mostly odd stuff. I was able to pick 2 5 packs of 20 guage slugs for 6 bucks each.
    One of my father's favorite statements: "If I say a chicken dips snuff, look under his wing for the snuffbox" How I was raised, who I am.

Quote Originally Posted by 375supermag View Post
    Remember Kent State???
    National Guard shot down unarmed college students because they were ordered to.
    They will shoot you if ordered to...they would rather live with that than spend a large part of their life in Leavenworth.
    Bank on it...
    When my dad was in the army around 1970, he talked to an army medic who said he treated guardsmen at kent state for small arms wounds like from a .22 rimfire, fired from a high elevation. Don't know if its true or not and can no longer get more details, but an interesting thought.

Quote Originally Posted by 375supermag View Post
    Remember Kent State???..
    The news coverage back then wasn't anymore honest than what we see today when it comes to 'peaceful protesters'.
    We're led to believe some Guardsmen saw a few kids walking down the sidewalk, and just shot them.

There was a whole lot more than that going on there, but like riot coverage today--it didn't 'fit the narrative'.

Unlike today:
    If you weren't there, all you saw of the event was what short little clips and sound bites
    the three news agencies felt like showing you.

Also, back then, it was a Viet Nam war protest.
    The news agencies treated the War in Viet Nam about the same way they treated President Trump.

There wasn't any of that---
    everybody has a camera, and uploads their video onto social media in 2 minutes.
    Last edited by Winger Ed.; 01-24-2021 at 01:35 AM.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by alfadan View Post
    When my dad was in the army around 1970, he talked to an army medic who said he treated guardsmen at kent state for small arms wounds like from a .22 rimfire, fired from a high elevation. Don't know if its true or not and can no longer get more details, but an interesting thought.
    I was just a kid then, but it wouldn't surprise me. I know that some of the folks there, cops, civilians, and guardsman, say they heard gunfire from a distance. I heard & in some cases read those reports many years latter, though.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by ameenkitekar View Post
    Thanks, i will be in touch with you. Need to understand many things as I am new to all these. +919920954250 is my WhatsApp number, if you dont mind ping me on it from your WhatsApp number.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk
    I don't have anything like WhatApp, etc.

But last nite I remembered that most ping pong balls are made from nitrocellulose. About 10-12 years ago I tested using them for making smokeless powder. I haven't gotten out my old notes, so that is why I didn't remember them right away.

About 100-170 of them are needed to make a pound of powder, depending what's added. The cost here would range from $24 to $45 per pound of powder. Likely cheaper than buying shotgun shells for the powder.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by perotter View Post

But last nite I remembered that most ping pong balls are made from nitrocellulose. About 10-12 years ago I tested using them for making smokeless powder. I haven't gotten out my old notes, so that is why I didn't remember them right away.

About 100-170 of them are needed to make a pound of powder, depending what's added. The cost here would range from $24 to $45 per pound of powder. Likely cheaper than buying shotgun shells for the powder.
    I'd be EXTREMELY cautious about sharing the stuff you're sharing.
    NRA Benefactor.

Boolit Mold

Here we get shotgun cartridge for 1.5 $ which contains 1.5 gm of powder that makes anything else much cheaper than shotgun shell option.
    Please share your notes if possible on ameenkitekar@yahoo.co.in
    Regards

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Burnt Fingers View Post
    I'd be EXTREMELY cautious about sharing the stuff you're sharing.
    Why? I've been sharing it for over 2 decades. What's changed?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by ameenkitekar View Post
    Here we get shotgun cartridge for 1.5 $ which contains 1.5 gm of powder that makes anything else much cheaper than shotgun shell option.
    Please share your notes if possible on ameenkitekar@yahoo.co.in
    Regards

I'll post something here about the ping pong balls in the next few days. You will need a nitrate to have good success.

Boolit Master

Sharing information about explosives with random people on the internet, especially when you know they aren't US Citizens violates several Federal laws.
    NRA Benefactor.

Boolit Master

Sharing information about explosives with random people on the internet, especially when you know they aren't US Citizens violates several Federal laws.
    Which Federal laws exactly? Also, what I'm posting about isn't even an explosive. My very first posts on this forum were about making smokeless power in a thread someone else started and was posting about it.

But if you could point me to these Federal laws I certainly won't post on the topic. Thanks in advance.

Boolit Master

Which Federal laws exactly? Also, what I'm posting about isn't even an explosive. My very first posts on this forum were about making smokeless power in a thread someone else started and was posting about it.

But if you could point me to these Federal laws I certainly won't post on the topic. Thanks in advance.
    It's all covered under ITAR.

Sharing of information about propellents.
    NRA Benefactor.

Boolit Master

BTW, you also endanger this forum by using it to share this information.
    NRA Benefactor.

Boolit Bub
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intern...ms_Regulations

I'm fairly certain the recipe for ammonpulver is considered public domain.

10 years and 164 pages of info on making explosive propellants.
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...e-black-powder
    Deplorable infidel

Boolit Master
    I'm sending my firecrackers and bottle rockets back to china

Boolit Grand Master

How did a simple primer question devolve into this? LOL, thread drift is alive and well.

"I noticed primers were out of stock"
    "here is a recipe for making explosives"?????
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Banned

Boolit Master

Back to the thread. Looking at GB, all of the offers apparently are from entities that are comfortable shipping hazmat. Again, smell a rat. Pawn shops, LGS doing the selling rather to local people. Who else would be able to do this? I don't see individuals doing this. Just my take. Maybe I'm wrong, not sure.
    One of my father's favorite statements: "If I say a chicken dips snuff, look under his wing for the snuffbox" How I was raised, who I am.

Boolit Master

Doesn't meet the following under IRAR: "Propellants that can sustain a steady-state burning rate more than 38 mm/s under standard conditions".

Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213141516 LastLast