RepackboxReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Load DataSnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingWideners
Lee Precision MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Colored oatmeal

Boolit Master

Colored oatmeal

Well I did a bunch of searches, got some conflicting ideas, could have sworn I've seen pix in the past; so here goes .....

Been casting with some bought ingots, couple hundred pounds - no problem.
    Casting along, adding ingots as needed, all of a sudden I get a couple inches of very brightly colored oatmeal. I talkin BRIGHT blue !

Fluxed the heck out of it - no joy.

Dipped out all the grunge (half the pot), added new ingots, no oatmeal but not getting great boolits either.

Decided to step back before I got mad; cooled pot - never had that color on top before.
    Heated pot up again, no oats but seems to be pouring slowly from spout (PM2 by the way)

Zinc ?

HELP !!!!!!!!!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	grunge 1.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	25.8 KB 
ID:	270948Click image for larger version. 

Name:	grunge 2.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	25.5 KB 
ID:	270949
    Cogno, Ergo, Boom

If you're gonna be stupid, don't pull up short. Saddle up and ride it all the way in.

Boolit Grand Master

A drop or two of muriatic acid will determine the presence of zinc if it sizzles and bubbles up. Easiest way to check.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Master
    Thanks Wayne, I can get some HCl (same thing) from work.
    Cogno, Ergo, Boom

If you're gonna be stupid, don't pull up short. Saddle up and ride it all the way in.

I never saw bright colors like that unless I was melting very close to pure lead, and got a little bit hot.

Now I don't know about the oatmeal. Not sure I've ever seen it in my pot.
    If it is Zinc I would try fluxing it with some sulfur. And I'd watch your temp close, if it does not get hot enough the zinc can't melt.
    I truly believe we need to get back to basics.

Get right with the Lord.
    Get back to the land.
    Get back to thinking like our forefathers thought.

May the Lord bless you and keep you. May the Lord make His face to shine upon you and be gracious unto you
    and give you His peace. Let all of the earth – all of His creation – worship and praise His name! Make His
    praise glorious!

Boolit Master
    i see no metion of the temp the pot was at/i to have never seen anything but pire lrad make the rainbow color.I have nver seen zinc make color like that or be that as corse like in your pics.just guessing here malfinction on the temp of the pot.the wron inigot ummarked or something lik pure that melts at a higher temp than the alloy you were useing.zinc that i have seen is more like slushy snow fine grained stuff. just some guesses here is all.sure will be interesting what is going on when you figure it out.

Boolit Master

My guess is that you got the pot way too hot. The blue is what you see when you overheat the alloy. As far as the oatmeal, I think you oxidized the tin and antimony out of solution and resulted in poor casting.

Boolit Master
    Thanks for the input guys.
    I don't think I got the pot too hot, it's a PM2 (can't trust it) but I have a Lyman dial therm in the melt.
    Pretty sure it didn't go over 750
    Just adding ingots as usual as needed, noticed the oatmeal when the ingot didn't sink in the melt.
    I'm gonna fire it up tomorrow and see what happens. At the worst, I'll dump the pot and start fresh and hope for the best.
    Cogno, Ergo, Boom

Boolit Master
    If you have access to some copper sulfate you can place a small quantity on the surface of the melt and once the moisture has been driven out you can stir it into the melt and remove the zinc contamination.
    Decreed by our Creator: The man who has been made able to believe and understand that Jesus Christ has been sent into this world by the Father has been born of the Spirit of God. This man shall never experience spiritual death. He will live forever!

Boolit Master
    I'll have to look in the junk cabinet in my lab, may have some.
    Isn't copper sulfate in stump remover or something ?
    Gotta remember to grab some HCl to test the slag.

I went full nuclear last night; took the pot outside, heated it up, started fluxing, like I do a smelt - I use pine chips from chain saw, Carnuba Red lube, and / or motor oil. Just dumping the fluxes in (OK, I'm playing here, may learn something).
    Just kept fluxing, skimming off the muck - smoking like a coal train ! Lighting the smoke as needed (didn't want the fire dept showing up lol).
    Remember, this is just a 22 lb ProMelt 2 and I'm worrying about the FD here !
    So we are down about a third of capacity, I have 6 muffin cavity's full of "something really weird looking".
    Hmmmmm, what's left looks not too bad.
    Heated up my 45ACP HP mould, cast a few; well shoot, those look pretty good !
    I'll check hardness tomorrow, but they pass the fingernail test now.
    I guess I'l have to "ring" the rest of the ingots and see if I can tell if any more "bad" ones - still gotta test slag with HCl.

Thanks to all of you, I had a path to follow, tests to check - I seem to be good for now.

I have to give a huuuuuge shout out to Dusty Bannister, he sent me a PM (more like a novel), asked questions, gave advice.

Certainly a real "Straight Shooter" and a hell of a guy !!!!
    Cogno, Ergo, Boom

Boolit Buddy
    I have had similar colorings and slush with unknown alloys. My research leads me to think the bright blue coloring is some kind of cobalt oxide/salt. It tends to hang with copper/nickel, and excess copper can cause a slush.

It's hard to guess what the source might be, but I have never had it with any babitt metals, only 'unknown' metals and I suspect it may be be from battery scrap or similar.

My solution was to cool, skim, chuck it... before fluxing.

Boolit Master
    Sometimes very hot pure looks like that.

I melted some range scrap yesterday, everything FMJ or 22LR only. One batch gave me those rainbow colours again. It'a a very thin film-like layer in the surface only.

It's not zinc,I had my alloys tested. I do have Niobium. HCL reacts with many other impurities.

Boolit Master
    My todays batch is all golden!

Boolit Grand Master
    May be a lot of tin in there!!

Boolit Bub
    If nothing else, the color is cool...

Boolit Master
    Casting with my 20 lb dip pot to make some BIG boolets today, rollin along for an hour or two, using older known ingots.
    Cast what I needed and decided to add in some boolets from the suspect alloy.
    Lo and behold, after about 20 325g slugs here comes the blue.
    No oatmeal, just a blue tint to the surface, cast OK.
    I have enough alloy I'm just gonna trash the 10 lbs of oatmeal from last week.
    Prob ding the ingots before going in the pot, maybe drag out the Lee hardness tester and check the "off" sounding ones.
    Cogno, Ergo, Boom

Some say to flux in sulphur to help with zinc. Where does one get sulphur?

I haven’t “smelted” in almost 10 years.had some free time so decided to process some wheel weights. I’ve never sorted, just try to keep temp down. My result was similar to OP’s photos, but with much less oatmeal. I concluded that I ran the first batch too hot and the Elements precipitated out of the alloy. I ran the second batch more cautiously...same bucket of wheel weights. Came out perfect.
    Last edited by 468; 11-13-2020 at 11:36 PM.
    Mould forth, and load in peace.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by 468 View Post
    Some say to flux in sulphur to help with zinc. Where does one get sulphur?
    I got mine as a garden supply,,
    SO you could check lowes, HD,, Walmart on-line has it,,

If you try to grow blueberries,, SULPHUR IS A MUST!!

They say no matter how acidic your soil is,, blueberries needs more Sulphur,,

Thanks SweetMk.

I checked those biscuits with muratic acid. No bubbles. They’re good, just ugly...kinda like me!
    Mould forth, and load in peace.

Boolit Master
    I have been down both roads; using sulphur and using copper sulfate to remove zinc contamination... I promise you, the sulphur route is unpleasant...
    Decreed by our Creator: The man who has been made able to believe and understand that Jesus Christ has been sent into this world by the Father has been born of the Spirit of God. This man shall never experience spiritual death. He will live forever!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by wmitty View Post
    I have been down both roads; using sulphur and using copper sulfate to remove zinc contamination... I promise you, the sulphur route is unpleasant...
    When zinc first started to appear in wheel weights, I had no clue. I got the oatmeal once and just kept adding a few pounds of soft lead and it quickly went away and the boolits came out fine. I did some research here and figured it out.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast