Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee PrecisionInline FabricationWidenersLoad Data
Repackbox RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: push through dies vs lubrisizer

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Hick View Post
    I have the NOE push through and Lee push through. NOE has some advantage since you just change the bushing, but my Lee dies seem to size more easily. Don't know why. I PC a lot and prefer the Lee because I can usually get away with sizing without any lube-- which leaves the bullets clean so PC sticks better.
    The Lee size dies have a longer taper section than the NOE. Think of it as a shallower angle on a revolver forcing cone.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    If you think you will only ever size one caliber, consider Lee’s, otherwise definitely go the NOE route.

I've been reading a lot on lubing and sizing as well as the powder coat type of coatings.
    If you want to use conventional lubes, then the lube-sizer seems the way to go. Pan lubing works but is more hassle than the lube-sizer.
    When using the powder coat type coatings the push through dies are the way to go. Lee's original sizer kits were intended for conventional presses. Lots of people use a cheap press and mount them upside down.
    Lee designed there new AP press to speed up certain steps in reloading. Bullet sizing was one of these steps. They designed a new sizer kit with the bushing built on the due instead of threads like a regular die.
    I have both styles and both work in the AP press.
    I have looked at the NOE set up and I may try it some day but for now the Lee sizers I have work fine.
    Leo

This is a link to a video which compares the Lee sizing system for the AP press to the NOE sizing system.
    https://youtu.be/aNBeejqvqR4

I am a fairly new reloader. I tumble lube after sizing with the older Lee sizing dies. The Lee sizing dies are easy to use. I lightly lube the bullets before sizing them, and lube them again after sizing. I am not a fan of all Lee products, but I really like their sizing dies.
    Last edited by fn1889m; 11-18-2020 at 04:46 AM.

Boolit Buddy
    If you are going to be casting a serious amounts for pistol then the Lee APP starts to make sense fast - even if you hand feed into a shortened feed tube.

A lube sizer will force a gas check on the base flat and secure if you want max accuracy for rifle.

If you wet tumble and size coated bullets the APP almost becomes a need - even with the Lee shaker type case collator you can deprime cases as fast as you can pull the handle.

I started with the Lee sizer. After my uncle passed down one of his Star Sizer I switched to that. After starting to powder coat I picked up the NOE kit because the different sizer dies are inexpensive and easy to change then NOE came out with the insert for the Star sizer and I never looked back. I took my old NOE sizer kit and passed it on to new caster on this site to get he started with his new trip down the rabbit hole.

Boolit Master
    I have switched to PC and continue to use the Lyman 450 for sizing without any issues after PCing, just don't apply the lube or use any heat. The push dies would be the obvious choice if one did not have a lube/sizer already. PC for me is a lot less of a mess than tradition wax lubing. I would start with .357" if you haven't slugged and measured the barrel, you aren't out much if you need buy a size bigger or smaller....the bigger .358 likely be used for 38 Sp or 357 Mag if you get there some day. Good luck, next will be a case expander issue, that will be a seperate thread.
    Last edited by remy3424; 11-19-2020 at 09:15 AM.
    Take a kid to the range, you'll both be glad you did.

I have a Lyman 450, it's been a good rig and have no complaints.
    I also have some LEE & some Homemade push through sizing dies,
    they also do what I intend them to do very well.
    I guess trying to compare the two is almost an impossible task,
    as each do what they are intended to do.
    I guess one should decide what type of bullet and how
    they are to be lubed before deciding which way to go.

AntiqueSledMan.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12