Titan ReloadingWidenersRotoMetals2Load Data
Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationLee Precision
Repackbox Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: push through dies vs lubrisizer

push through dies vs lubrisizer

I know absolutely nothing about this (just the little that I read here) so don't think you'll insult me by stating something that's obvious. Heck, I don't even really know what to ask.

I'm thinking of expanding my casting to include 9mm bullets. From reading and using factory made bullets I think I'd like to poly coat them in an oven. But I assume I still need to size them. I was given some unsized 9mm bullets one time and they didn't produce groups, more like a shotgun pattern. I have a Rockchucker press and I've read about push through dies. I also read that they aren't made anymore? Yet I thought I saw them for sale.

Am I barking up the right tree? What am I not asking that I should be asking and what is the answer? Anything I'm missing? Please educate me or point me in the right direction.

TIA

Boolit Master
    The new lee boolit sizing dies have a adapter to fit the new press , whereas the older lee boolit sizing dies screwed into standard threaded presses .

The cheapest option will be Lee sizer dies.

Otherwise you will need an entire lubesizer, plus dies for it.

The Lee should be good for your needs.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

What you're asking about are the Lee Push Through sizing dies for cast bullets. In your case, powder coated bullets would be pushed through the die from the bottom and would be caught in the container on top of the die. You would have to first decide on the size you want to make your finished bullets, and then buy the die for that size. For 9x19, I would opt for a .357" diameter die, but others use .356" diameter sizing dies with success. I've slugged 9x19 barrels that measured up to .358" in diameter, and find that .357" cast bullets work in all my 9x19 handguns.

There may be other makers of push through sizing dies, but I have no experience with them, but I'm sure others will chime in who do have experience with them. For the most part, I use commercial casting and sizing equipment, but it hasn't always been that way.....

Hope this helps.

Fred
    After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs.

Boolit Master
    Another thought on powder coating , we have a member here that provides a very good powder product for tumble powder coating . Shake and bake , or spray on powder coating , Hy-Tec coating , as well as tumble lubing can all be used ,I almost forgot pan lubing .

Boolit Master

I think the sizing system offered by NOE is the best I have used so far and it is also the least expensive. Once you buy the bushing holder and the bullet guide tubes for around $34, sizing bushings are only $9.95 each plus they offer most any diameter you could ever want. You only need one push rod for each close group of diameters, not one for each bushing. The push rods are <$10 too. Check it out on the NOE website.

Bob
    Si hostes visibilis, etiam tu

Banned
    I agree with Bob.

NOE dies' have the most size options and are easiest to store (bushings are apr 3/4" x 3/4). You only need 1 push rod for each caliber

Boolit Master
    I'll have to check those out, been using Lee push through for years.
    Where's the Kaboom? There was supposed to be an earth shattering Kaboom.

Marvin the Martian

Boolit Bub
    Another vote for NOE. As others stated it’s easier to store and the size selection is excellent.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by BJK View Post
    I know absolutely nothing about this (just the little that I read here) so don't think you'll insult me by stating something that's obvious. Heck, I don't even really know what to ask.

I'm thinking of expanding my casting to include 9mm bullets. From reading and using factory made bullets I think I'd like to poly coat them in an oven. But I assume I still need to size them. I was given some unsized 9mm bullets one time and they didn't produce groups, more like a shotgun pattern. I have a Rockchucker press and I've read about push through dies. I also read that they aren't made anymore? Yet I thought I saw them for sale.

Am I barking up the right tree? What am I not asking that I should be asking and what is the answer? Anything I'm missing? Please educate me or point me in the right direction.

TIA
    First of all your going to need to slug a barrel to determine what size it is to know what size to size your boolits.
    If that makes sense, then you need a boolit that’s cast larger than the bore. So you can size it down to what you need. >001-.002 over bore slug after you powder coat will be good. And sense your going to slug the barrels, you will need a micrometer 0-1” after you make the boolits and pc them you will need to size them down, load them and crimp the bell out to just hold that boolit and not so far that it resizes that projectile. I’m using the Lee push thru die’s and they work very well. And are still sold just about everywhere. Also watch the COAL on 9mm because of high pressure if seated too deep.

Boolit Master
    BJK,

“For not knowing anything”, you sure asked a good timely question!

I have casted for a good while and was thinking about the Lee push throughs. You saved me from making a mistake. I will now go with NOE now and save money and get a better product!

Keep up the good work and a big belated welcome!

Three44s
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207

“There is more to this than dumping lead in a hole.”

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by midnight View Post
    I think the sizing system offered by NOE is the best I have used so far and it is also the least expensive. Once you buy the bushing holder and the bullet guide tubes for around $34, sizing bushings are only $9.95 each plus they offer most any diameter you could ever want. You only need one push rod for each close group of diameters, not one for each bushing. The push rods are <$10 too. Check it out on the NOE website.

Bob
    I'm waiting for my NOE sizing body die it's on back order.

Boolit Master
    I have never tried or seen the NOE system but it sounds great. I have used the Lee push through and still do since I use the Hi-Tek coating, back when I used conventional lube I had a Lube Sizer. Since you are considering one of the baked coatings I would opt for the push through type or NOE system as mentioned. Just a heads up on the use of Lube Sizer system with Hi-Tek, I understand you need to plug the lube holes in the dies as they cause coating to be torn off or so I have heard. I recently purchased some Lee push through as I also heard they were not making any more. Regards Stephen

Boolit Master
    i started with a lube sizer but went to lee push through and tumble lube as its quicker and puts gas checks on just as well.oh its cheaper as well.

Boolit Master

I have 5 lubrisizers, all with heaters I made and 50 H&I dies. I also have about a dozen Lee push throughs. Since I started powder coating I switched to the NOE system & never looked back. All my lubesizers are off the bench & stored on a shelf should I ever need them again. Long 50 BMG bullets that will not fit in the lubesizers are sized easily on my Rockchucker using the NOE system.

Bob
    Si hostes visibilis, etiam tu

Boolit Master
    I'll get a complete NOE assortment next,now that I know what I need.

I have two lubrisizers and ~ 15 Lee dies, Lees are good for making your own "in between" sizes though.

Super Moderator

I use the Lee push through dies for the few boolits/calibers that I tumble lube. They work fine, are inexpensive, and can be modified or honed to fit special need sizes.

Boolit Master
    I have the NOE push through and Lee push through. NOE has some advantage since you just change the bushing, but my Lee dies seem to size more easily. Don't know why. I PC a lot and prefer the Lee because I can usually get away with sizing without any lube-- which leaves the bullets clean so PC sticks better.
    Hick: Iron sights!

Boolit Bub
    I powder coat 99 percent of my cast bullets and have moved my RCBS lubrisizer and the GH&I die collection to the shelf. Years ago I moved over to Lee push through and I'll never go back.

Moderator Emeritus

First you need to decide if you want to PC boolits or use Lube.

Lube-sizing is much simpler, quicker, and easier.

PC'ing is messy, time consuming, and requires baking equipment...But if you can get a good cured application of PC to adhere on the boolit, they are then, cleaner to load and shoot (than lubed boolits), if that is important to you.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast