Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionWidenersTitan Reloading
Load DataRotoMetals2Inline FabricationRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 22lr CCI Mini Mag Target

22lr CCI Mini Mag Target

I ran across some CCI Mini Mag Target today and bought a couple of 100 count packs to try out.
    40 grain round nose copper plated at 1238 FPS.
    Sounds interesting. According to the CCI web site, they don't drop below sonic speed until nearly 50 yards.
    Anybody ever try these?

That sounds interesting. I'm not finding mini mag target but I did find CCI HV Target. New product apparently.

CCI Clean-22 uses an exclusive polymer bullet coating to greatly reduce copper and lead fouling in the barrel without leaving a residue. It also cuts lead buildup in suppressors 60 to 80 percent.The High Velocity loads features a 40-grain round nose lead bullet with geometry that's been optimized for accuracy. With dependable CCI priming and consistent propellant,
    I've mentioned before that I used to use cheap HV ammo for metallic silhouette and was able to shoot straight out to 100 yds. I checked with a friend and he confirmed having seen tight groups with the stuff. One thing I did find was that beyond 100 yds, my groups opened up. I took that to mean that while the boolits were dropping through the sound barrier before 100 yds, the effects only became noticeable beyond that.

It'll be interesting to see how your rifle likes them.
    Last edited by 303Guy; 11-08-2020 at 02:33 AM.
    Rest In Peace My Son (01/06/1986 - 14/01/2014)

''Assume everything that moves is a human before identifying as otherwise''

https://www.cci-ammunition.com/rimfi...-mag/6-30.html

Not seeing anything special except the labeling.
    Last edited by uscra112; 11-08-2020 at 02:18 AM.
    Cognitive Dissident

Aah. You found it. Well, range trials will show if there is any difference. The difference could be the round nose and perhaps some boolit geometry differences.

Mini mags are normally HP and 37gr. I see the one I found, the Clean 22, is polymer coated.

Quote Originally Posted by uscra112 View Post
    https://www.cci-ammunition.com/rimfi...-mag/6-30.html

Not seeing anything special except the labeling.
    That's the one alright. I plan on going to the range tomorrow and will be taking them with me.
    They didn't cost me anywhere near $10 though. More like $7.79.

The part I found most interesting was the copper plating. I am wondering how that will effect accuracy and consistency.

I only wish I could find .22lr available like you guys are doing...all I can find is this Aguila stuff that I've never known before.

Any of you guys know what this is capable of @ 50 yds. & with what kind of rifle/scope/peep & globe setup/irons?

a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

I have tested the Super Extra but in my rifles with me behind them I did not achieve the best results. The ammo that did ultimately give me the best result was the one I shot the most of and then not at first. Could it be bore conditioning with a particular ammo?

Quote Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
    I have tested the Super Extra but in my rifles with me behind them I did not achieve the best results. The ammo that did ultimately give me the best result was the one I shot the most of and then not at first. Could it be bore conditioning with a particular ammo?
    I wonder about that myself...just in case it does, I just brush & swab the bbl clean when I change brand to brand. From what you see in that box most of it is pretty sketchy, more or less minute of beer can stuff & cheap to boot.
    I have to learn this peep & globe method much better before I feel qualified to really comment on a particular ammo's performance.
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

I got to the range and tested the CCI Mini Mag Target in my CZ Varmint MTR today. It wasn't any better than any midrange(cost) ammo.
    I only got one group that might be useful for practice.
    It was plenty good enough for hunting purposes. Squirrel heads at 50 yards with no problem. I need something that gives squirrel eye(or nearly so) size groups at 50 yards.
    I already have 4 ammo types/brands that shoot better in my rifle.

Boolit Buddy
    Have you tried SK standard plus?

So there's nothing special about "Target" MiniMags then. Just the labeling. CCI may be falling into the same lackadaisical habits as Remington and et.al., competing with their packaging rather than their product. Only in a sellers' market can they get away with this, and it's going to be a sellers' market for a long time to come.
    Cognitive Dissident

Quote Originally Posted by recumbent View Post
    Have you tried SK standard plus?
    Not yet. I have some Lapua Midas+ and Eley Tenex coming to test.
    If the weather goes south, I may not get to test them for some time. We'll see.

I've been looking forward to your test results. There is something about high velocity 22 rounds. They just sound better! Specially through a suppressor. If those Mini Mag Targets show up on our shelves I'm gonna get some! In the meantime, I'm looking for Eley anything to try out.

Question about your rifle: If you retract the bolt, hold the muzzle straight down and drop a cartridge into the chamber, does it go all the way in by gravity, or does it need a little push with the fingertip? Tells us something about the chamber.
    Cognitive Dissident

Quote Originally Posted by uscra112 View Post
    Question about your rifle: If you retract the bolt, hold the muzzle straight down and drop a cartridge into the chamber, does it go all the way in by gravity, or does it need a little push with the fingertip? Tells us something about the chamber.
    I had not considered the question you just posed so I just spent the last hour with the rifle and several different types/brands of ammo.
    Some fit the chamber looser than others but none fall all the way into the chamber without extra force from a finger or the bolt. The match/target ammo fits the chamber much closer than run of the mill plinking ammo. I measured a bunch of the cases and bullets with my micrometer. The match cases were nearly all .223 as close as I could measure. The plinking ammo cases measured.between .222 and .223
    The bullets measured .224 consistently.
    There were differences in the length of the driving band on the bullets. The match ammo appeared to have a bit more driving band than the others, but I have no good way to accurately measure them.
    CZ states they cut the chamber to a tight SAAMI spec. The good ammo fits snug with no wobble in the chamber. I did notice that any of the target ammo needed to be pushed a bit harder as it went the last bit into the chamber as I was shooting this afternoon.

I managed to get hold of a torque wrench today and measured the torque on the action bolts. I think I may have found my problem.
    The bolts were barely snug. I could move them with around 5 inch lbs of torque. Research says that CZ recommends 25-30 inch lbs of torque with this rifle since it has metal bedding posts. I tightened it down to 25 inch lbs and will test it next chance I get. This may make all the difference in the world. The "loose" bolts would allow the action to move in the stock causing no end of inconsistency.

Now I am going to need to re-test all my ammo and see what it likes now.
    Last edited by tazman; 11-09-2020 at 10:39 PM.

That's what I would have expected, Tazman, but had to confirm.

For reference here is the chart of chamber dimensions again. Cartridge fit in the chamber is probably the main reason why guns "prefer" one brand of ammo over another.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	chamber dimensions chart.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	25.5 KB 
ID:	271090
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Master
    Hope you get a good warm day soon. I Like you do not like the cold any more. With my joints and arthritis it’s hard to concentrate when your body hurts.

On the bucket list for my retirement "farm" was a nice, heated shooting house. Life got in the way. Never even got to the point of doing the drawings.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Buddy
    Several weeks ago I was in a Murdochs in Riverton Wyoming and came accross the CCI Mini Mag Target. Never seen them before. Priced at $7.00 per 100 round packs. Bought two. Seems I paid the same for regular Mini Mags back in the Obama years. Haven't tried them yet.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by OS OK View Post
    I only wish I could find .22lr available like you guys are doing...all I can find is this Aguila stuff that I've never known before.

Any of you guys know what this is capable of @ 50 yds. & with what kind of rifle/scope/peep & globe setup/irons?

While Aguila Extra was not the best it was not bad. If it is what you can get I would not be too disappointed.

Tim
    Words are weapons sharper than knives - INXS

The pen is mightier than the sword - Edward Bulwer-Lytton

The tongue is mightier than the blade - Euripides

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast