Inline FabricationLoad DataSnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
RepackboxLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Wideners Reloading Everything

Thread: Henry Loading Gate Rifles - Why Some but Not Others?

Henry Loading Gate Rifles - Why Some but Not Others?

Can't help but notice that Henry launched their first side loading gate brass model in .38-55, 30-30, .35 REM., and .45-70, which is great.

But, rather than taking the next logical step and launching a New Big Boy and New Big Boy Steel with loading gates, they have chosen not to.

Instead they seem to be futzing around with loading gates only on the zombie-hunter X models and the Mare's Legs.

I can't fathom their thinking. Many shooters will not buy a Classic Brass Big Boy or a Big Boy Steel only because they don't have a loading gate. So, they must be losing sales because of it.

I know that I would buy one in .45 Colt if they produced them.

What do you think?

.41 Rem. Mag. with a gate is the only Henry rifle I would consider ,not impressed with any of their offerings for the price they get.

I just saw something somewhere about newly made Henry rifles with loading gates. I'm sure that eventually they will offer almost all of their many models and sub-variations with the loading gate. Actually, the presence of the gate in the models in which they presently appear was just a response to public desire and suggestion. The original Henry rifles of Civil War vintage and thereafter had no gate and loaded by twisting the magazine tube at the muzzle end of the rifle. That system was carried down through the following 150 years, mostly in .22 rifles of various makes that had tubular magazines. Not a bad system, really. I'm sure that eventually the model you want will appear with a loading gate.

Boolit Master

The big boy works good without a gate easy to load shoots well. Shot 27 clean cowboy matches with it.

Boolit Master
    Not to highjack this thread, but I saw a Henry at Wally World of all places yesterday that I just had to ask to see. It was a lever action with no tube magazine, a forend cap that looked like a Win 94 button mag, but it had a detachable box mag and was chambered in 6.5 Creedmoor, and drilled and tapped for a scope. It had pretty plain looking walnut with about a 1/2" black recoil pad.
    With all the goings on in that store recently I was surprised to find a gun I hadn't seen before. GF

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Gray Fox View Post
    Not to highjack this thread, but I saw a Henry at Wally World of all places yesterday that I just had to ask to see. It was a lever action with no tube magazine, a forend cap that looked like a Win 94 button mag, but it had a detachable box mag and was chambered in 6.5 Creedmoor, and drilled and tapped for a scope. It had pretty plain looking walnut with about a 1/2" black recoil pad.
    With all the goings on in that store recently I was surprised to find a gun I hadn't seen before. GF
    What was the price tag on it? Sounds like the long ranger that they released not that long ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Bohannon View Post
    .41 Rem. Mag. with a gate is the only Henry rifle I would consider ,not impressed with any of their offerings for the price they get.
    I would consider one in .41 Magnum as well. Great cartridge and I don't have a rifle in this caliber. Also, I could handload it to .41 Special levels and have me a .38-40 equivalent carbine.
    About 1250 FPS like the .44-40.
    (.410"/180 grain cast bullet for .41 magnum versus .401"/180 grain cast bullet for .38-40)

Quote Originally Posted by dannyd View Post
    The big boy works good without a gate easy to load shoots well. Shot 27 clean cowboy matches with it.
    It works as well as the various .22 rimfire guns that use the same system, which I really like - in .22 rimfire.
    I own a Browning BL-22 with end-of-tube loading, and have owned a few other tube-fed .22s (Glenfield Model 60, Winchester 94-22). All great guns.

For hunting or plinking, the tube-feed Henry is fine, and it's easier to unload, which is a nice feature.
    But, the cowboy in me wants a loading gate on my cowboy guns.
    Since it has both, the loading gate Henry is a sort of "belt and suspenders" system in this regard.
    Anyway, the heart wants what the heart wants.
    Last edited by Prairie Cowboy; 11-07-2020 at 02:05 AM. Reason: add content

Boolit Master
    Those Big Boy brass rifles with the octagonal barrels are heavy.
    "If everyone is thinking the same thing it means someone is not thinking"

"A rat became the unit of currency"

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmic_Charlie View Post
    Those Big Boy brass rifles with the octagonal barrels are heavy.
    Very true for the pistol caliber cartridge Big Boys, but not for the round barrel rifle cartridge brass frame guns. Mainly it is that octagon barrel that is the culprit and not so much the brass frame.

Henry Rifles

Big Boy Classic Brass - octagon barrel/brass receiver - 8.68 lbs.
    Big Boy Steel - round barrel/steel receiver - 7.0 lbs.
    Brass .30-30 - octagon barrel/brass receiver - 8.30 lbs.
    Steel .30-30 - round barrel/steel receiver - 7.0 lbs.
    Brass side loading gate .30-30 - round barrel/brass receiver - 7.5 lbs.

You can see from this that the brass frame side loading gate .30-30 is only 1/2 a pound heavier than the standard steel .30-30, because both have round barrels. But, for the octagon barrel guns, the difference increases substantially.

Marlin

1894 carbine - round barrel/steel receiver - 6 1/2 lbs.
    1894 Cowboy 20" - tapered octagon barrel - 6 1/2 lbs.
    336C .30-30 rifle - round barrel/steel receiver - 7.0 lbs.

You can also see that the Henry brass frame side loading gate rifle with a round barrel compares favorably with the standard 336C Marlin rifle with a round barrel. The Henry is only 8 ounces heavier.

Boolit Bub
    I suspect Henry will eventually get around to adding the loading gate to most of their big boy models. Side gate on the X model is a necessity if you have a suppressor installed, just ordered an X in 357 btw.

I would really like to have an all weather big boy with threaded barrel and loading gate.

Boolit Master
    Haters hate I love every Henry I own and I own several two kore to go X model 357 and the side loading gate 38/55 but my all time favorite is the new Original model I have in 45 LC georgious wood and and curate to boot such a joy to shoot boolits out of. Too heavy? Get stronger most guys poop more than a pound or two... heavier rifle absorbs recoil are more accurate and are steady in the off hand position. Again American made or not made plus the owner will stand behind his product 110%......nuff said.

I agree that the Henry Brass Big Boy is a great rifle, even with the extra weight.

But, it would be that much more appealing to many with the side loading gate, which Henry has proven that they can adapt to their rifles.

Also, since it seems to be largely the octagon barrel that is adding that extra weight, it would be nice if Henry could produce a round-barrel version of the Brass Big Boy, and add the loading gate for good measure.

This would give us an American-made yellowboy carbine weighing in at around 7 1/4 pounds that should be as appealing as the Winchester 1866 carbine. This and better quality steel parts than the Italian replicas.

I love the Henry Co. and especially their rimfires and H001, but the centerfires are heavy and very expensive.

Boolit Bub
    Henry's now adding side loading gate to all steel centerfire rifles and shotguns.

By popular demand, we are excited to announce to you a large transition in our product line to include side loading gates on all steel-framed centerfire lever-action rifles and shotguns that did not already have this feature. Additionally, we are announcing 3 new extensions of our H015 Single Shot lineup with new calibers and configurations.

https://www.henryusa.com/media-kit/?...m_medium=email
    Last edited by barney67; 11-23-2020 at 02:56 PM.

I can't find that quote anywhere, but they are now listing all of the steel lever actions as the new side gate models.

Finally! Was that so hard?

Perhaps they finally unloaded most of their old stock.

I do wish that they would replace those thick clunky recoil pads with thinner ones like Marlin uses, but hey, I'll buy one now, rubber boot and all.

Boolit Bub
    That quote was in an email that Henry likely meant for their dealers, followed a little later by this.

You may have received an email earlier today announcing a slew of new products to our Henry Dealers. We planned on officially announcing these on Wednesday, but the cat is out of the bag now!
    By popular demand, we are excited to announce a total of 29 new models to include side loading gates on all of our steel-framed centerfire lever-action rifles and shotguns and 3 new Single Shots. You ask, and we listen. We take a lot of pride in making your dream guns come true, and it's clear that we may have done just that due to the overwhelming response from the first email. In fact, the initial response was so overwhelming it broke our website. Let's try this again!

I wonder if the timing of this has anything to do with the recent acquisition of Marlin by Ruger?

Boolit Buddy
    327 and 41 magnum is not currently available from Henry with the side gate. (Brass receivers only when I just checked there online offering for these 2 cartridges.) I think in a couple years once Ruger gets Marlin up and rolling we will see special runs of not so popular cartridges and real stainless models that some of us desire. My feeling anyway, I hope it comes to fruition.

I find it odd that Henry makes the case-hardened finish steel Big Boy with a recoil pad. I'm sure that many would prefer it with a carbine strap butt plate (also case-hardened) or a standard flat plastic shotgun style.
    Since they make the brass-framed rifles this way, I think that it makes good sense.