Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
RepackboxRotoMetals2Inline FabricationWideners
Titan Reloading Load Data

Thread: Lyman Super Moly Lube

Lyman Super Moly Lube

Anyone use this stuff, or anything close to it on lead bullets?

I used it years ago, but found it messy + it will stain anything it comes in contact with. It will also dry out over time so don't use it if you store your SMLubed CB's for years. Btw, accuracy was no better than that obtained using other lubes. No bore leading either and no problem cleaning my bbl. after shooting CB's coated with it.

I think it's great. I've been using it since I stopped making my own lube. I have a 3030 that must have seen 250 rounds without cleaning the bore...

Boolit Master

It's good lube. I started using it when I really got going with casting. I formulated my own out of beeswax/moly grease and have used that since. I still have some of the Lyman sticks that will get used one day.
    You can miss fast & you can miss a lot, but only hits count.

Anyone compare it to 50/50? For leading and accuracy?

Moderator Emeritus

I used it some in the 90's. It will show up on your next child and is a bear to get off. After it was determined that molybdenum was a water attractant I stopped using it.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Quote Originally Posted by MT Gianni View Post
    I used it some in the 90's. It will show up on your next child and is a bear to get off. After it was determined that molybdenum was a water attractant I stopped using it.
    Interesting since this is what we used in wheel bearings on amphibs. for 16 years

Moderator Emeritus

Yea rumors get started, articles get written and you wonder what to do. I think there are better lubes that are much less messy. Stuff like this was why I went away from it, though it was reports not what I had personally seen.
    http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/...nderneath%20it.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Quote Originally Posted by MT Gianni View Post
    Yea rumors get started, articles get written and you wonder what to do. I think there are better lubes that are much less messy. Stuff like this was why I went away from it, though it was reports not what I had personally seen.
    http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/...nderneath%20it.
    Ahhh, okay so the difference between powder coated and molysomethingornother I guess. Interesting read. I am too old to learn something new

Banned
    I think the ingredient Molybdenum disulfide is what is used in anti-seize lubes. The biggest difference I see is that it holds up to temps at or exceeding 2000° F. Great for anti galling so it should be good for bullet lube...but never tried it since I am perfectly happy with Powder Coat.

Boolit Master
    There is the Lyman Super Moly Lube for cast lead bullets and there is moly-coating for jacketed bullets. There is a significant difference in usage and performance. The moly greases that have been mixed with various waxes do not behave the same as moly coating jacketed bullets. Moly coating copper jacketed bullets is explained in the accurateshooter post, cast bullets using Lyman Super Moly Lube or other wax/grease blends with moly work very well and do not create the same conditions found when coating jacketed bullets. I have used both, now I am going to HBN for some jacketed, but I do like some moly grease in cast bullet lubes. As a lubricant for auto pistol slides, hammer sear interface, and other heavy friction areas in a firearm, some moly grease blends work very well.

Boolit Master
    I used it on a few thousand 9mm boolits with no issue. It does suck to remove it from anything it gets on but I never got any leading with properly sized boolits.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    I've used it in rifles. I found inconsistent pressures and accuracy. I used Goop hand cleaner to remove it from the barrels, and haven't shot it again.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master

1 tube worth and I never bought it again, very messy. Javalina was my go-to for 4 decades, and I then bought a bunch of Lars' White Label Carnuba Red. Then, I switched full on with powder coating. My Lyman 450 was cleaned out and boxed up going on 8 years ago. I dabbled at making my own lube for a time but was really pleased with the performance of the Carnuba Red. It was a harder lube and required a heater but It sure performed well.
    Common sense Gun Safety . . .

Is taught at the Range!

Boolit Master

On a side note, it will turn your hands black when you shoot.
    You can miss fast & you can miss a lot, but only hits count.