RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingLoad DataWideners
Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingRepackboxPBcastco
MidSouth Shooters Supply Inline Fabrication

Thread: Micrometer Question

Boolit Buddy
    East central Minnesota. I can see Wisconsin from my house!!!

Micrometer Question

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Micrometer.jpg 
Views:	131 
Size:	45.6 KB 
ID:	270825

I got this in a box of free stuff. It might appear that is is not closed all the way, but it is. The contact point on the left is a round dome instead of a flat cylinder. It is closed, but the rotary scale is not on zero.
    Is there a way to "re-zero" the scale?
    Thanks in advance,
    Jeff
    Before you criticize another man, you should walk a mile in his shoes. That way, when you criticize him, you'll be a mile away from him, . . . and you'll have his shoes.

Boolit Buddy
    There is a special wrench that fits in that hole you see. You can then turn the barrel to "0".

It's a special for measuring wall thickness of tube and curved sections. As bull-moose said, use a 'C' spanner to pull the barrel round to zero it.
    "Consciousness is a lie your brain tells you to make you think you know what you are doing." Professor Maria Goncalves.

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear. George Orwell.

Boolit Buddy
    Attachment 270828
    The wrench looks like these, unfortunately they are not universal. If they were I'd send you one.

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    Yes. Follow the above instructions. It can be tweaked with the proper spanner. Every NEW mic comes with the wrench that fits it. I have 5 different "thimble" style mics and each has a different dimension of wrench!

I use only digital mics today, unless for an unusual app where I need one of the mechanical ones.

good luck.

Boolit Buddy
    I have one of these as well, my grandfather's. I haven't ever really opened it more than .1" in my lifetime. . . until last week when I got curious and opened it to .9". Now it's very stiff to turn, so much so that the little ratchet pressure mechanism is useless. Should I unthread it entirely, clean the threads, and oil it with perhaps ATF or a light machine oil? Will I have to re-zero it after that?

Quote Originally Posted by Brick85 View Post
    I have one of these as well, my grandfather's. I haven't ever really opened it more than .1" in my lifetime. . . until last week when I got curious and opened it to .9". Now it's very stiff to turn, so much so that the little ratchet pressure mechanism is useless. Should I unthread it entirely, clean the threads, and oil it with perhaps ATF or a light machine oil? Will I have to re-zero it after that?
    Yes I would unscrew the stem and lube it with a light oil like a 3 in 1. You then need to recheck .000". If you have a 1" standard you can check it at 1" as well as at .000". That is how I check my micrometers before I use them check the lower end as well as the upper end. The sleeve that has the 0 line can not only turn but also can be adjusted up and down a slight bit to align with the lines. Starrett wrenches are easy to find by the way check out evilbay.

Hope this helps.
    Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid. John Wayne

Banned

Call Starrett.......they may send you one!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by monkey wrangler View Post
    Yes I would unscrew the stem and lube it with a light oil like a 3 in 1. You then need to recheck .000". If you have a 1" standard you can check it at 1" as well as at .000". That is how I check my micrometers before I use them check the lower end as well as the upper end. The sleeve that has the 0 line can not only turn but also can be adjusted up and down a slight bit to align with the lines. Starrett wrenches are easy to find by the way check out evilbay.

Hope this helps.
    Thanks, I'll try that!

Boolit Grand Master

A tube mic may be difficult to measure round or long objects due to the rounded/dome anvil. My first 1" mic was a Starret and it lasted me 20+ years (11 daily use) until it was stolen. I cleaned it by soaking in kerosene or solvent with a little moto oil (maybe 1 oz to 1 gallon of solvent). Working in a machine shop my Monday ritual was checking "zero" then a plug gauge .5000".
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Vendor Sponsor

Guys his mic is .010-.015 off zero. you can't tweak the barrel enough to remedy that.

Remove the thimble and there will be a serrated socket and mating surface that times the thread to the barrel. This will need to be repositioned until you get the thimble to be close to zero when screwed back together. Then you can tweak it to dead on with the wrench.

Close to zero means within a .001 or so. The Zero line should be in line with the spindle, and not significantly above or below the centerline of the tool.

Just turn the spindle out until it comes apart, you'll see what I'm talking about. It ain't that hard and someone already didn't understand this, and that's why it is in the position it is in.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

My new to me mic is .0003 off, I just need to acquire a spanner wrench for it.

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by Brick85 View Post
    Thanks, I'll try that!
    Some mikes have a friction lock. Make sure it isn't on.

Vendor Sponsor

Could you post a close up pic of your Mic? Usually those round anvils are removable. If we could see it, we could tell for sure.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"

Boolit Grand Master

A lot of mikes large adjustments are made by loosening the thimble from the spindle ( a screw) and a light tap on the screw head with a soft tapper. The thimble and spindle lock together like a morse taper on mating tapers.

Im curious looking at the picture ( it really hard to tell) Are those 0-1 or 0-.5 with the domed anvil they may have been made for the paper industry. Tubing mikes are normally a ball anvil on a stem. Starret made a lot of specialty mikes for different industries. Can seam mics come to mind for one. Soft material mikes with large disc anvils are another.

When I pick up a mic or calipers at the start of a job its anvils are cleaned and checked for zero. Then again at end of job last measuring. On high precision work the measuring tools are used as comparators with Pins of gauge blocks measuring the gauges then the part.

Mics should be lubed with a fine instrument grade oil. A very light coat. Then stored slightly open not closed.

Vendor Sponsor

Did this ever get fixed?

Randy

Boolit Buddy
    East central Minnesota. I can see Wisconsin from my house!!!
    Hi Randy,
    It's all good. Thanks for the help.
    Jeff
    Before you criticize another man, you should walk a mile in his shoes. That way, when you criticize him, you'll be a mile away from him, . . . and you'll have his shoes.