Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
WidenersLoad DataTitan ReloadingRepackbox
Reloading Everything RotoMetals2

Thread: Cinnamon Fried Apples

Boolit Master

Cinnamon Fried Apples

As a young man in the 1950's I remember grandma Young having her kids and grandkids for a big breakfast. She would make Cinnamon Fried Apples on the wood burning cook stove. She would do eggs, potatoes, her own bacon, ham,and salt pork and etc.

Anyone have an old time Cinnamon Fried Apples recipe, Cracker Barrel isn't even close to my memory though their's may be it.

We call them stewed apples. We do about 3 lbs apples, peel and core and slice, 1/4 stick butter in a skillet throw the apples in, add water enough to cover, and cook till almost done. Then add bout 1 1/4 cups sugar and cinnamon to taste.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	68.2 KB 
ID:	270863

Boolit Master
    sounds good, will try it. Do you have a type of apple, Wineshap (sp) and Macintosh are two that I remember as cooking apples.

We use gala most often but we have used several varieties. You can use whatever you have handy, if it ain't the best it'll either be mushy or a bit firm, but still taste good. I peel them with a cheap peeler machine we have. If it gets into the seeds, the pocket their in will be hard if that section ain't removed.

Boolit Grand Master

NOT Mackintosh! They cook down to mush and unless you are making applesauce they are not a cooking apple.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Bub
    Use Granny Smiths. They're great for cooking. Stewed or in pies.

Boolit Master
    Bazoo tried your recipe but didn't taste like grandma's. I wonder if it has to do with the wood cook stove? The wife said no when I offered her a new wood stove over her old electric stove.

Boolit Master

I use Gala or red delicious. Do them in the microwave. Take a knife and core them out, try to leave some in the bottom to hold in the juices. Put in a tbsp or a little more + of butter, 1/4 tsp of cinnamon, sweetener, Sweet n Low or sugar. Wrap in Saran Wrap type stuff, pierce all over with fork, nuke for 3 minutes, check, and then nuke for another 2-3 minutes. Let cool, enjoy. Couple scoops of good ice cream, covered by this ain't bad.
    One of my father's favorite statements: "If I say a chicken dips snuff, look under his wing for the snuffbox" How I was raised, who I am.

Sorry it wasnt to suit. I magine granny cooked it for 50 years before you got your taste eh? Might have something to do with it.

We made another batch with golden delicious as they were cheaper... Not as good either, more tart.

Boolit Master
    Got an old Cast Iron Skillet at a yard sale, about a pound more in weight, and made a big difference in the taste. Must be the weight holds the heat different and cooks different, maybe not as high a temp which puts more flavor in the apple. No name or number anywhere on skillet so will be heard to find another.