Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingLoad Data
Inline FabricationLee PrecisionRepackboxRotoMetals2
Wideners MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Lee Handles Broke

Lee Handles Broke

About 5 years ago I got real tired of the Lyman Nut Cracker handles for their 4 cavity molds, so I looked real hard at the Lee 6 cavity handles. (Years ago there was a sale on them for $9.00 a set, I bought 4 of them.)

All I had to do was thin the forks down to fit the slots on the side, also had to enlarge the bolt holes. They worked great until last Saturday as I was casting some 358477's and they broke on cutting the sprue!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lee.Handles.jpg 
Views:	119 
Size:	19.5 KB 
ID:	270822

I went ahead and thinned another set and went back to casting. After looking more at these I think I can save this set by drilling new holes, after all the forks are long enough for Lee's 6 cavity molds.

Drew
    Big Bore = 45+

I agree...they should be salvageable....but wow...that must have been one hard sprue.

redhawk

The only stupid question...is the unasked one.
    Not all who wander....are lost.
    "Common Sense" is like a flower. It doesn't grow in everyone's garden.

If more government is the answer, then it was a really stupid question. - Ronald Reagan

It was one hard sprue!
    Big Bore = 45+

Boolit Master

I have broken two in the same place. There is very little metal way out there on the end where the holes are drilled. I save the unbroken side to replace the next one that breaks. I have and use several dozen of them on custom molds. Sounds extravigant but I used to buy a bunch at a time when Midway sold them at $11. It would be nice if we could get the same style using quality steel but then the price would quadruple.

Bob
    Si hostes visibilis, etiam tu

Banned
    Call lee, the replacement handle piece is free but you'll have to pay shipping and handling. BUT ---- if you send the broken handle part to lee they will send you a new broken handle part for free.

1958-2020 Lee Precision | 4275 County Road U | Hartford, WI 53027 | phone (262) 673-3075 |

I doubt thet will send me a new one as I modified the ones that broke
    Big Bore = 45+

Banned
    Then you can buy just the one metal part for shipping and handling. Call them and get the part number.

Yes, I might be able to buy just one fork, however I would still need to thin it down to fit the Lyman 4 cavity mold.
    Big Bore = 45+

Boolit Master

Alturas, California...where the west still lives!
    I had that happen on a set of Lyman handles for a two cavity mold once. I had just opened the blocks and tapped......gently......the handles to loosen the castings, when one entire side of them broke off! Bear in mind these were good handles in good shape and never abused. A close examination of the break showed a fine grain structure and I suspected metal crystallization, but then realized it was a form of cast iron or possibly cast steel. In any case, it really ticked me off!

In any case, they never should have broken. I kept them for several years, meaning to send them back to Lyman, but ended up salvaging the wooden handles and junking the rest.

Boolit Master
    I have had both Lymans and Lees break. I can't understand why the Lee brike since they have a cam to open them and no impact is involved. I support the Lyman on the edge of a bench to break the sprue and don't use hard alloys?

After 45 years of casting this is the first set of handles I have broke. I was letting the sprue too long and I had to really give it a wack to cut the sprue (remember, I thinned them to fit Lyman 4 cavity molds, I hate the nutcracker handles, I have 2 sets of them).
    Big Bore = 45+

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by midnight View Post
    I have broken two in the same place. There is very little metal way out there on the end where the holes are drilled. I save the unbroken side to replace the next one that breaks. I have and use several dozen of them on custom molds. Sounds extravigant but I used to buy a bunch at a time when Midway sold them at $11. It would be nice if we could get the same style using quality steel but then the price would quadruple.
    Bob
    You can get quality steel handles from a castboolit vendor.
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-Mould-Handles

Quote Originally Posted by MGySgt View Post
    After 45 years of casting this is the first set of handles I have broke. I was letting the sprue too long and I had to really give it a wack to cut the sprue (remember, I thinned them to fit Lyman 4 cavity molds, I hate the nutcracker handles, I have 2 sets of them).
    My suggestion, is to sell the handles you dislike, because I know some casters here really like them (I have sold a couple sets of nutcrackers that came with some molds and I also disliked that style) ...then use the proceeds to order some handles from Red River Rick at KAL tool and die
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Just went through my foot locker with molds (heavy) only found one nut cracker. Checked Lyman home page for mold handles, no more nut cracker handles.
    I also found a lot of molds I have never used, and probably never will. Time to pull them all out and thin the herd.
    Big Bore = 45+

Boolit Master

JonB: If KAL handles are as good as the heavy duty cam levers he used to make for Lee 6 cavity molds then they must be good. Long ago when Lee handles were "really cheap" I opted to mount handles on each of my custom molds. Now I have around 50 of them. It would cost me 2 grand to replace them all, as much as I would like to. Actually to be honest, to Lees have worked very well. Only 2 broken ones over all these years and those broke when using linotype & letting the sprue get too cold. Whose fault is that!! I may get a couple KAL's for molds that get used hard & often.

Bob
    Si hostes visibilis, etiam tu

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by MGySgt View Post
    You might just get a set of the newer Lyman 4 cavity mould hands. They are of the "plier" type [no longer the "nutcrackers"] and are much sturdier than the Lee's. I quit even trying to use the Lee's with my Lyman 4 cavity moulds anymore.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Larry at $48.00 a set, I will use the Lee's until the die, then I will probably go with the newer Lyman's. I figure I cat get 3 more breaks before these 2 sets are useless ����������
    Big Bore = 45+

Boolit Master
    The handles heat up to about 400 degrees and then air cool when you are done casting. They get hard and brittle I'd bet. Think I had to make one set of Lee handles thinner to fit the slots on my RCBS 250K die. I do not like swapping handles between die blocks. Going to order a couple more sets of the Lee's.
    "If everyone is thinking the same thing it means someone is not thinking"

"A rat became the unit of currency"