Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersLoad DataInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2 Repackbox
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: S&w m60 3” ?

Boolit Buddy
    Well, I called and I will pick up the new M-60 3” Thursday!
    BigboreShooter

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by BigboreShooter View Post
    Well, I called and I will pick up the new M-60 3” Thursday!
    BigboreShooter
    You are going to have a hard time sleeping now....until you walk out the shop door with that big grin on your face!
    Maker of Silver Boolits for Werewolf hunting

Back when she moved out of my house into her own apartment, I gave my youngest Daughter a S&W Model 37 Airweight with a 3" bbl.

(Very similar to the Model 60)

Over 20 years + 2 children later, she still loves it to death, practicing shooting it weekly.

She CCW's it in her purse/holster (purse with an inside gun pocket)

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Quote Originally Posted by pietro View Post

Back when she moved out of my house into her own apartment, I gave my youngest Daughter a S&W Model 37 Airweight with a 3" bbl.

(Very similar to the Model 60)

Over 20 years + 2 children later, she still loves it to death, practicing shooting it weekly.

She CCW's it in her purse/holster (purse with an inside gun pocket)

With wadcutter a perfect woods walking gun. Near perfect unless you can find a 4-inch Colt Cobra.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master

I'm not sure of the model designation as I don't have it in hand, but I have a stainless j-frame .357 I think is a model 60. Regardless, it has adjustable sights and a 3" barrel and shoots lights out despite its relatively small size. Its one of those guns that everyone shoots well, particularly with .38's and brings a smile to their face. I'm not parting with it but if I ever found myself without one again I would be looking for one.
    "Is all this REALLY necessary?"

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by TNsailorman View Post
    I have a S&W Model 13 with a 3 inch barrel and round butt. I find it pretty easy to conceal under a shirt worn on the outside of the pants or a jacket. It is heavier than a Model 60 but after I have had it on for 30 minutes or so, I forget about the extra weight as I go on with my daily life. I Do Not shoot +P in it though or any K frame for that matter. Yes I would not mid having a J frame but I am not going to pay the asking price just to save a few ounces of weight. james
    Models 10, 13, 64, or 65 would be my choices as well, in 2.5" or 3" (or a 15/19/66/68 if adjustable sights are okay). A 3" j-frame seems rather pointless to me.

I have been carrying a S&W M&P 360 lately, a 1 7/8" j-frame .357 magnum. I also have other 4" revolvers and would love a 3" Model 13 someday. I don't see the point in a longer j-frame though, the snubnose is where it's at for 5 shooters.

Boolit Master
    I have a 3" Model 60 Pro. Carry it in a shoulder holster. Put a lighter trigger return spring in it. Action is very nice. It's easy to shoot well. What's not to like about a potent, easy to carry and conceal man stopper?
    "If everyone is thinking the same thing it means someone is not thinking"

"A rat became the unit of currency"

I love mine, it goes with me most every where outdoors, (fishing/bow hunting). It's not pointless, lighter than a K frame, less bulk, and it has adjustable sights. It also has a significant velocity advantage to 2" barrels. It's not intended for primary hunting arm, mostly targets of opportunity while bow hunting.

Mike
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	uCbw4BB.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	77.0 KB 
ID:	271351

Boolit Mold
    I have the 60 pro series and it is very accurate, It is more of a trail/kit gun for me, I pocket carry a 360 airweight. You will like it.

Boolit Buddy

AND it has longer ejector rod, makes shucking the cases out easier.

Boolit Buddy
    I love mine, I’m still trying to find a set of grips I like on it. Big hands.

Banned
    Not raining on anyone's parade here, just rambling.
    Once you put a 3" barrel and decent sized grips on a J-frame, you end up with a gun that is roughly the same length and height of a similar K-frame. Yep, the J-frame cylinder is a little slimmer than a K-frame cylinder and the J-frame is a bit lighter, but you're solidly in holster carry territory at that point.

I like DAO J-frames when they are equipped with 2" (well 1 7/8" actually) barrels and boot grips that don't extend below the grip frame. In that configuration they are still pocket guns. Once you add a 3" barrel and larger grips, they are no longer pocket guns.

Now, I will grant you that a 3" J-frame is a marvelous gun to carry in a holster. They are slim, light and can be had with decent sights.

I'm all about guns that are easy to carry and I will seek out those small, lightweight wonders that make such great Kit Guns.
    For me, if we're talking 38 Special, that break between needing a belt holster verses not needing a holster is also the tipping point between selecting a J-frame verses selecting a K-frame.

None of that is royal decree or carved in stone; it's simply personal opinion.

Now, if we're talking 32 S&W long.........the 3" J-frame starts looking really good.
    Last edited by Petrol & Powder; 11-20-2020 at 10:43 AM.

Boolit Master

My son in law has a 3" S&W 60 and i like it better than the usual 2' or 1/7/8" barrels

Boolit Buddy
    I have a 60-10 that I must have shot a lot because I wore out something I can't remember what, ( I'm old) and sent it back to Smith to fix it. When I bought it replaced grips with Baramis and a grip adaptor along with removing hammer spur. Carries nicely but the adjustable sight can still hang up, and it is heavy. Recently replaced as my edc with the sig 365.

Boolit Buddy
    Well ,I picked up the gun a little over a week ago. I had 2 range sessions so far.
    The single action trigger is 3-1/4lb,double action is too heavy for my scale.
    Have about 170 rounds through it.All my good loads stay well under 3”@ 25yds off sandbags.
    I’ve been carrying it in holster I had on hand. It definitely lighter and more compact than my SP101.

BigBoreShooter

Boolit Master

How is recoil? Do you notice much of an increase with the lighter weight?

I have wanted a pre lock, 3" full underlugged barrel, adjustable rear sighted, 357 mag, S&W Model 60 for quite a while.

Boolit Buddy
    Recoil is more than the 101.I didn’t put any full 357 loads through it. With 38 loads it was no big deal.I probably won’t put many full bore 357 loads through it. I wanted something to spli the difference between my LCR and the 101.So far I’m pleased!
    BigboreShooter

Boolit Master
    One of my Sweet Ones is my SW M38, in 3". Shoots very well with regular and Plus P 38s
    Really like the shrouded hammer and the 3", along with CrimsonTrace grips
    I do not have a problem with dropping it (with holster) into my Carpenter jeans front pocket
    beltfed/arnie

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12