RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
WidenersLoad DataInline FabricationLee Precision
Reloading Everything Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: S&w m60 3” ?

Boolit Buddy

S&w m60 3” ?

Thinking about a M60 in 3” for my CCW gun . Anybody own one? I want to replace my Sp101 4” for something a little smaller and lighter.
    Do you like, dislike, etc.
    BigboreShooter

Banned
    Approaching this without all of the "well I carry ___________", let's look at the issue.

The SP101 is an excellent revolver but is rather large & heavy for its class.
    A 3" J-frame is a bit smaller than the frame size of the SP101.

You didn't say how you intend to carry this gun but because you did specify a 3" barrel, I will assume it will be in a holster and not pocket carry.

Personally, I put 3" barrels outside the classification of "snubnose". Once you step up beyond 2.5" in barrel length for a DA revolver, you're in holster territory (in my world, your world may be different)

So what we are really talking about here is a fairly heavy 4" barreled SP101 and a slightly lighter 3" barreled J-frame.

I REALLY like DA revolvers with 3" barrels. I think they offer a good compromise of size/weight/power BUT they are not snubnose revolvers. So if you're going to carry it in a holster, why not just step up to a K-frame and get 6 rounds and a larger grip?

I think the roughly 2" DAO J-frames are outstanding SD tools due to their very compact overall size. However, once you screw a 3" tube on that platform, it sort of loses it's appeal. Now you have a 5 shot revolver with a tiny grip that you have to carry in a holster.

Just one point of view here. Nothing carved in stone.

Quote Originally Posted by BigboreShooter View Post
    Thinking about a M60 in 3” for my CCW gun . Anybody own one? I want to replace my Sp101 4” for something a little smaller and lighter.
    Do you like, dislike, etc.
    BigboreShooter
    I have one and like it a lot. Very shootable. Mine is an older 38 Special only.

Have you looked at the newer S&W Bodyguard? I've got one and it is a bunch lighter than a mod 60 or 36. I carry mine in a back pocket in cooler weather with a shirt tail out or jacket and it is easier to get my paw on the handle than my Keltec 9mm. Of course the hammer is shrouded for snag free draw.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by tazman View Post
    I have one and like it a lot. Very shootable. Mine is an older 38 Special only.
    Agree. I have had my 60-4 for about 25 years - adjustable sights, full under lug, 38 Special. Very accurate with semi-wadcutters. Trigger pull has honed down to 3 1/8 pounds over the years of shooting it.
    Last edited by JoeJames; 11-06-2020 at 03:47 PM.
    Britons shall never be slaves.

I can remember from back in my now-ancient LEO days that the 3" S&W Mod. 60 was highly sought after as an off duty gun. Some considered it the ideal size and weight, and thought the better sighting and pointing of the extra inch of barrel made it about the best one could obtain, not to mention the factor of it being stainless. Some guns just have a special niche, like the1911, and the 3" Mod. 60 is one of them. Small, light weight, adequate cartridge (.38 Sp.), stainless-- other snubs come close but aren't quite the same thing. Truthfully, I never owned one as I favored having the 6 shots of the Colt Det. Special 2"or S&W M&P 2", but if you're a revolver man the Mod. 60 is hard to beat.

Moderator Emeritus

In my body frame a 3" J frame is concealable, a 4" K frame is not. I would consider the model 60 to be shot often with 38's and occasionally with 357 due to recoil and a light frame. Obviously a 357 Blackhawk will digest heavier 180 gr loads. It ends up being your decision.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Buddy
    I also have a LCR in 38, but I Wanted something more accurate and more powerfull. I like my 101, it’s accurate . Just wanted something a little more compact.

If you are looking for accuracy, the model 60 will deliver that in spades. Even though mine is a 38 Special, it will shoot with my 4 inch model 15 with no problems.
    Since the newer model 60 comes in 357 mag, it will supply all the power you could want for social uses.

Boolit Master

I have a Model 60 in .357 Magnum and I wouldn't sell it for twice what I paid for it.
    Maker of Silver Boolits for Werewolf hunting

Boolit Buddy

Have one in .38 spl. Love it.

Boolit Master

I have a S&W Model 13 with a 3 inch barrel and round butt. I find it pretty easy to conceal under a shirt worn on the outside of the pants or a jacket. It is heavier than a Model 60 but after I have had it on for 30 minutes or so, I forget about the extra weight as I go on with my daily life. I Do Not shoot +P in it though or any K frame for that matter. Yes I would not mid having a J frame but I am not going to pay the asking price just to save a few ounces of weight. james

I have owned several 2" 38 Specials down through the years. I have been tempted many times to purchase a 3", 38 Specal (5 shot). I keep coming back to the one reason as to why, extractor length. When I have fired a revolver empty and it's time to reload, I just don't enjoy having to pick the empties out of the cylinder. Yes, I still own a 2" snubby and for all I've gathered about self defense shooting, reloading really isn't a factor. Not that it's not possible it could happen, but it would be rare. Thus, the 3" gets my attention when I see one.

Murphy
    If I should depart this life while defending those who cannot defend themselves, then I have died the most honorable of deaths. Marc R. Murphy '2006'.

In 1970, I had a 3" Colt Detective and a 2" M36. The 3" gun with same ammo as the Smith had a significant lead in energy and was much easier to shoot. Both guns are gone now, much to my sorrow.
    To paraphrase Ronald Reagan, the trouble with many shooting experts is not that they're ignorant; its just that they know so much that isn't so.

Boolit Grand Master
    The 3" M-60 is an outstanding gun that gives up little in the way of shootability (if that's a word) to the bigger 4" guns but is much easier conceal. While a 2 inch M-60 works better for pocket concealment, just about any where else, there is no difference worth mentioning in concealabilty, but the 3 incher is easier to shoot well. Mine is several ounces lighter than my SP-101 4 " .327.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3795.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	67.3 KB 
ID:	270858Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3801.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	27.3 KB 
ID:	270859Click image for larger version. 

Name:	012.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	58.2 KB 
ID:	270860
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Banned
    TNsailorman - I believe the 3" RB models 13 & 65 are excellent revolvers. They demonstrate an outstanding confluence of size, weight, power and accuracy. You get a full length extractor, a decent sight radius, good fixed sights that will not snag on clothing, a much easier gun to pack, a good full size K-frame grip and a 6 round cylinder. And they aren't much larger than a 3" J-frame.

Murphy, I hear you loud & clear. I'll pass on a little bit of knowledge I gained about reloading snubnosed revolvers. I was taught to operate the ejector rod "briskly". The goal was to "pop" the empty casings out rather than "push" them out. You're not trying to bend the ejector rod or beat the gun up, but you do want operate the ejector vigorously. The other part of the technique is to point the muzzle straight up while ejecting the casings.
    One of the advantages of the short ejector rod on a snubnose is that it is nearly impossible to get a spent casing trapped under the ejector star. That short rod is also tougher to accidentally bend.

As much as I like the 3" barreled platforms, a 3" barrel doesn't fit my definition of a snubnose. There are uses for snubnose revolvers and 3" barrels. Pick the tool for the job.

Boolit Grand Master

I bought my 60-4 (.38 Special 3" with target sights) when they first hit the market. From the first day I took it to the range, I, as well as a few onlookers, were amazed how well I was able to shoot this little wonder! It was the perfect side kick for my over/under birdgun and allowed me to take a bushel basket of cottontail rabbits as well as snow shoe rabbits while bird hunting in Eastern Ohio and the upper peninsula of Michigan. It was and is a true delight to own and shoot!

FWIW
    Dale53

I really like the 3” M-60 with a Clip-Draw for easy concealment and carry. The only issue I face with mine is the hammer spur in my stomach if I sit down while appendix carrying. A proper holster or carrying it differently would alleviate that. But it is definitely a great, versatile choice.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Hickok View Post
    I have a Model 60 in .357 Magnum and I wouldn't sell it for twice what I paid for it.
    If you have the M60 in 357 Magnum then you well know your emoji wasn't showing the correct amount of flame coming out of the barrels! I have one too and you can see the flame thrower in daylight even when not paying any particular attention. I just had to get out of the habit of loading it with old red box Federal 125 JHP's. That stuff was obnoxious.

Yeah, mine won't be going anywhere either.

Boolit Buddy
    I like a 3 inch revolver. The increase in performance going from 2 inches to 3 inches is greater than increase you get going from 3 to 4.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast