Snyders JerkyLoad DataLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
RepackboxReloading EverythingInline FabricationRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters Supply Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: .22 lrs and the election

Boolit Bub

.22 lrs and the election

Well, how long before we see change of availability of .22's (in either direction, better or worse, dependent upon who wins) ?? What will the new "normal" be?

Thoughts?

LouB

Boolit Buddy
    If you haven't already planned, it's a bit late now. There is no normal evah again. We had how long to get our stuff in order for this? Coulda, shoulda, woulda ain't gonna do much good now.

Just sayin'

I have a feeling they will be in short supply with a high price.
    Elections have consequences.
    Especially crooked ones.

Boolit Buddy
    The demonrats have been saying for years their going to take the guns.
    Then they wised up and tried to go after ammo,, after tests in CA, NY and a bunch of other authoritarian regimes (THE REAL FASCISTS) they'll know exactly how to go about it.. To say nothing about their simple plan to tax it out of existence, which they have been very vocal about for some years now.
    Anyone who hasent seen this coming by now,, is either blind or has been too busy living life on a phone...

Boolit Master

.22 lrs and the election

Dont forget, prior to election season ammo was scarce due to Covid panic buying. In every facet of the economy, supply chains and production lines are disrupted and will not be back to normal until we get past the Covid issues (firm believer in mask use and precautions here but I haven’t stopped working at all through this). We need to get people back out working in order to get the economy rolling before we will see consistent supply of any goods especially “unnecessary” items like ammo, especially 22 where demand is high but profit is low and same production lines are used for other calibers like 223 that are just as scarce for all the new AR owners out there that haven’t built up years of mil surplus.

Sad truth of the world today, businesses can’t find enough staff to make and move products.

Hell even Altria (Marlboro and several other tobacco brands) went on break for a good chunk of the summer so now we’re seeing supply issues in cigarettes and cigars. (Nasty little secret for all you smokers) and they can’t say when they’ll catch back up.

If country shuts down again it could be years before we can recover production.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by yovinny View Post
    The demonrats have been saying for years their going to take the guns.
    Then they wised up and tried to go after ammo,, after tests in CA, NY and a bunch of other authoritarian regimes (THE REAL FASCISTS) they'll know exactly how to go about it.. To say nothing about their simple plan to tax it out of existence, which they have been very vocal about for some years now.
    Anyone who hasent seen this coming by now,, is either blind or has been too busy living life on a phone...
    Thank you!! That is what I have been saying for some time now. They realized they cannot take our guns, but they can certainly take our ammo.

Boolit Master
    I was just looking at a few things on gun broker and prices people are bidding are getting crazy, without even searching saw a few $155 for 1000 rounds and they were not mini mags which always bring premium price when supplies are hard to come by. it was not that long ago cases of 5000 Armscor 22's were $139

Boolit Buddy
    When the last shortage happened several years ago, it took about 3 years before we saw 22LR abundantly and reasonable in price again. With today's current events, there's no telling anymore. Happens every time demand outstrips supply. We recovered then and we'll recover again. Just pray that the Dems don't steal the election.

Things will be scarce and expensive. The only saving grace is that the R’s will probably hold the Senate, so drastic changes will be difficult. Thank God for Amy Coney Barrett.

I'm not quite of the same opinion as the general drift of this thread is going. I think .22 ammo will again become available in quantity next summer, but the price (as always) will remain somewhat higher than it was before the shortage. I can remember $7.50 brick days, then $12, $15.50, and last time $24.95.....and that was for the less expensive stuff like Federal American Eagle. But, the points that I'm going to try to make are, "You've got to pay to play", and "Make hay while the sun shines." Get it while the gettin' is good.

At the same time, assuming that the Lefties do take control, it will take them some time to enact their anti-gun, anti-ammo agenda. It won't just be a walk over-- the various pro-gun groups and gun owners will resist in Congress and in the Courts. But, evil will likely eventually prevail.

So the message here is to take full advantage of the next opening to buy your ammo, because there may not be another. I've been shooting for many years and have acquired a surplus of most things along the way. However, when the Great Obama Ammo Shortage happened, I found myself a little short on .22 ammo. I had 5 bricks, but felt like I should have more. I even telephoned CCI and talked to one of their executives. He assured me that they were working a full capacity, but that hoarders who felt 100,000 rounds per person was a good start, were buying it all. He generously offered to let me become a dealer if I would pay for 4 million rounds up front. I didn't.

So, when the supply was available again I started buying one brick of 500 per month, sometimes two, and eventually ended up with five .50 Cal. plastic MTM ammo cans full. More than enough for my remaining lifetime, and probably for two more lifetimes like mine, because I've always been a hunter and target shooter, but never a Blaster who thought it routine to expend a brick per shooting session. No criticism meant here-- to each his own. But, if you're a Blaster you'll have to buy more than most folks-- and perhaps that CCI guy wasn't kidding when he said that some folks think having a 100,000 round supply is just a good start.

The next time it's available buy a brick here and there when you can, keeping in mind that another window may not open in the future. I think there will always be .22 L.R. ammo available, but it's purchase may become restricted to farmers and ranchers for vermin and varmint control, Olympic target shooters, and the price and paperwork may become prohibitive. Don't forget the waterproof ammo cans.........you just might find it desirable to set a couple of boxes out in the woods, because.......?

Specialty ammo like CCI Quiet may never come back. Production will focus on "Standard Velocity" and "High Velocity" commodity ammo because that's where the money is. (I believe this so strongly that I paid a scalper's price for a brick of Quiet a month or so ago. So useful on the farm here that I dread being without. Meanwhile I have bricks of Thunderduds that go back to the first Clinton administration.)
    Cognitive Dissident

I figure the same as the last 22 LR drought, if and when the supply line gets filled again the prices will drop back down. I remember buying Federal bulk 550 packs for $8.99. Same store, same product...post panic, $14.99.

One thing is almost certain in my opinion. However the election shakes out, there will be another panic run the next election. Buy em' when you can is my thinking on that one.

Murphy
    If I should depart this life while defending those who cannot defend themselves, then I have died the most honorable of deaths. Marc R. Murphy '2006'.

Banned

It's not going to get any better if Sleepy Joe wins! Also gas will be going up to $4.00 per gallon!

That was my old game-plan, buy a brick or 2 every month. Started that prior to y2k. Slacked off for a while only replacing things as I used them. After the last draught I got back into the groove and alternately stocked up on primers and powder along with .22s. Thank goodness the senate stayed red or we would be in trouble. It will come back in a year or two.

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy View Post
    I figure the same as the last 22 LR drought, if and when the supply line gets filled again the prices will drop back down. I remember buying Federal bulk 550 packs for $8.99. Same store, same product...post panic, $14.99.

Murphy
    One of the few sensible things I retained from my abortive attempt at a degree in economics:

"Up like a rocket - Down like a feather"
    Cognitive Dissident

Quote Originally Posted by uscra112 View Post
    Specialty ammo like CCI Quiet may never come back. Production will focus on "Standard Velocity" and "High Velocity" commodity ammo because that's where the money is. (I believe this so strongly that I paid a scalper's price for a brick of Quiet a month or so ago. So useful on the farm here that I dread being without. Meanwhile I have bricks of Thunderduds that go back to the first Clinton administration.)
    I just bought a brick of Quiets today and there was some more on the shelf... what I miss are the Quiet segmented. In New Hampshire (southern)...
    Looking for Ideal mold 419181 (44 Evans Long)
    "Joined Dates" are deceiving if you factor-in "lurk" dates.

Lucky man! Don't waste it all plinking at cola cans!
    Last edited by uscra112; 11-06-2020 at 10:40 PM.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Time to start reloading them gents .... https://fedarm.com/product/22lr-prim...-2000-ct-pack/
    I’ve been doing it close to 10 years, smokeless and black powder
    Regards
    John

Boolit Man
    All of you who are depending on a Republican Senate to limit or slow down drastic gun control measures are forgetting Executive Orders that can be issued on January 21st. This time, there will not be any liberal Federal judges standing in the way of those orders taking effect.

There will be constitutional judges who will be standing in the way, thanks to you-know-who.

But stock up anyway. It's not hoarding until you've exceeded a lifetime supply.
    Cognitive Dissident

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast