WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Titan ReloadingLoad DataSnyders JerkyLee Precision
Reloading Everything Repackbox

Thread: Shooters world heavy pistol

Boolit Buddy

Shooters world heavy pistol

Can I replace h110 with the heavy pistol? IE - 24 grs h110 = 24 grs heavy pistol? Maybe start at 22 grs and work up?

Or would it be closer to the 18 grs 2400 load? And start with 16 grs heavy pistol?

Can,t find much data and the Shooters World load data didn,t give me much to go on. Thanks Bruce

Boolit Buddy
    Call em. I had a question a while back. They were great at answering all my questions.

Shelly
    "EXPERT= Ex is a has been, spurt is a drip under pressure" Unknown

Boolit Master
    I use Heavy Pistol and like it for a couple of loads.

It is faster than H-110 and uses less powder for the same pressures. Do not use H-110 data.

It is closer to but still faster than 2400. I was looking at heavy bullets in a 357 for a Henry rifle today. Quick Load says 2% less Heavy Pistol gives about the same pressure for the load I compared. Velocity was also just shy of the 2400 calculated velocity.

Burn rate actually looks to be just a tad slower than Blue Dot.

Give me a specific Blue Dot or 2400 load and I can run it through QL to see what it takes to calculate the same pressure.

Boolit Buddy
    I was thinking of the standard 18 grs 2400 load equiv. with the rcbs 270 saa bullet cast at 290 grs from my alloy.

Boolit Master
    I could not find a 2400 load with a 18 gr and a 270 gr bullet.

I do have a Shooter World manual with 44 mag 300 gr XTP loads using Heavy Pistol.

They list a starting load of 12.7 gr for 978 fps. They list a max load of 14.9 gr for 1151 fps at 35,560 psi.

QL says pressure is lower than expected, around 28,500 psi for the above load.

For a Nosler 240 JSP the QL predicted (31752 psi) vs SW test (35920) pressure was a lot closer.

I also played around with Alliant 44 mag 2400 data and QL a bunch. Several max safe 2400 loads found QL to also predict around 31000 psi to 32000 psi.

The combination seems to say that the Shooters World load data for the 300 gr XTP looks conservative. This can easily happen if they combined things like a faster than normal powder batch, tighter chamber, hotter primer, etc.

However, the 300 gr SW test data makes me reluctant to go all the way to what QL would say gets you to 31000 psi. For your boolit, you can probably go say 0.5 gr more given that cast boolits run a little lower in pressure and given yours are 290 grs. However, pushing past the 14.9 gr is only worth considering if you feel your gun has ample margin and if you work up very carefully.

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks so much. Just the kind of info I am needing. I think I will start at 13 grs. and work up to 14.5 grs.

Boolit Master
    Sounds good.

It would be easier (and probably more accurate) to estimate max safe loads if existing test data was more consistent.

Quick load is not accurate for pressure in straight wall cases, but it is probably very consistent.

With four different published loads supposedly at the same approximate test pressure the QL calculates pressures that vary by 20% tells me that there if they re-ran the four loads with identical conditions, they would get 5% to 10% shifts in at least 2 of the results.

Boolit Buddy
    I agree. It would be helpful if there was more data available... Apples to apples sort of thing.

Boolit Master
    FYI, Any SW powder users should download a copy of:

https://shootersworldpowder.com/wp-c...rld-manual.pdf

As I was looking at the version at the link above, I noted it is newer than the copy I downloaded when I bought my powder. They have added some 44 mag carbine loads. One of them is a 300 gr Sierra JSP loaded long (1.740") with 18.6 gr Heavy Pistol powder with a test pressure less than the 300 gr XTP load.

I ran this load through QL and the calculated pressure (40923 psi) is much higher than the 300 gr XTP load. This does not surprise me at all given the 25% increase in powder charge. It makes me wonder about the quality of their test data.
    Last edited by P Flados; 11-09-2020 at 09:55 PM.

Here is the Shooters World site write up on heavy pistol:

Heavy Pistol
    Ballistic results for this propellant
    show it appropriate for magnum
    pistol applications, .300 Blackout
    with supersonic lightweight
    projectiles and some other
    specialty ammunition. It is similar in
    burn speed to Accurate No 9®,
    and has similar application as
    Alliant 2400, Hodgdon H110 or
    Winchester 296.
    The superior ignition of this propellant permits less-than-full loading density.
    Therefore, it is not necessary to load “full power” loads with this propellant in
    order to achieve safe results. Shooters World tests this propellant with standard
    pistol primers, as well as magnum pistol primers. To date, we have found no
    evidence that Heavy Pistol requires a magnum primer for reliable ignition.
    In comparison to other magnum pistol propellants, we find Heavy Pistol
    exceptionally clean, accurate with either cast or jacketed projectiles, and
    exhibiting low muzzle flash.
    The density of Heavy Pistol is approximately 0.98 grams/cc. It contains a level
    of flash suppressant, which aids in visual comfort to the shooter. It’s spherical
    geometry assures highly consistent powder drops, when making rounds on a
    progressive loader.
    Under the Lovex brand, this propellant is referred to as D037.2

IMHO seems to be a 1:1 replacement for AA9.
    Ten Bears; "You are the Grey Rider. You would not make peace with the bluecoats. You may go in peace."
    Josey Wales; "I reccon not."

Charlie Waite; "Men are gonna die here today, Sue, and I'm gonna kill them."

Banned

sounds like its another aa9. like wc820