Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Lee Precision
WidenersInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
Repackbox Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Weaver Scope assumed room temperature this morning

Banned

Weaver Scope assumed room temperature this morning

I mounted a nice steel tube K-10 on the Remington 700 I got from exbeeman last Christmas. I zeroed it this spring and then set it aside to work on other shooting projects. The scope and the rifle are about the same age and look nice together.

Today is nice and warm with no wind so the 222 and I headed to the range. Set up at 100 yards and started shooting. Hmm, no hits on target. Moved to 50 yards and fired again, still no hits on target. Move to 25 yards and still no hits on target. Move to 10 yards and get one hit six inches above the point of aim.
    Scope is mounted tight, run the elevation all the way up, then all the way down then center it and still no hits on target at 25 yards.

It's looking like this beloved old Weaver is going to become another artifact in my collection. I need to find another scope quickly as this fine shooting weather is ending tomorrow.
    Ken

Ken

Boolit Master

I like the old steel tube Weavers and still have one on my Marlin. I believe they are repairable as I've seen links to this effect.
    Shoot Safe,
    Mike

Retired Telephone Man
    NRA Endowment Member
    Marion Road Gun Club
    ( www.marionroad.com )

Boolit Grand Master
    I know that feeling all to well. I had a K4 mounted on a customized (very customized) 98a Mauser in .30-06. It was fine one spring when I was home on leave, then that fall it had magically fogged up.

I have since replaced it with a Leupold Vari-x II 2-7X. The bigger problem was the original base was one of the old looong Beular's (I know I didn't spell that name correctly) with the lowest rings I have ever seen, it needed the long spacing of the K4 to allow room for the rings.

My biggest gripe with the replacement base is that even with super low Leupold rings the scope now sits about 1/8 inch higher than is optimal.

Robert

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Banned

I can vouch for Iron Sight Inc. They do good work and the cost is reasonable for what it is, but there is a long lag time. I sent an old Denver Redfield target scope to them for refurbishing about a year ago and I'm happy with the results, but it took four months.

Boolit Master
    I know I've said this before. Buy the old Lyman All American perma center scopes are good scopes provided you can find them. 6x all steel tube and a 10x with Adjustable objective. And they are longer than a lot of current scopes that are designed for short actioned rifles. Frank

Boolit Master
    Pressman,
    On that old Weaver, did you try tapping on the scope turret knobs with , say a cartridge.
    Sometimes the problem is the springs inside the scope do not push hard enough to keep
    the adjustments in place. Especially in cooler weather.
    beltfed/arnie

I have about 2 dozen Weavers that I bought new in 60s. All straight powers from 3x to 10x. I’ve been selling out collection and taking Weavers off rifles before sale. These scopes had been on rifles for 50yrs + in most cases. Years without adjustments moved. I have found that if a old Weaver is not sighting in, it might not be taking adjustments. Sometimes you can lightly tap on tube by turret with wood dowel and adjustments will come lose. As far as sending them in for repair, you are better off buying a new scope. For the cost it will put you near entry grade Leupold. It may be ok if you have sentimental attachment or need a tax write off. I haven’t seen anywhere that isnt $100 to open.

Banned
    Yes, I tried tapping on the side, nothing changed. I do think the elevation adjustment screw moves too easily.
    Thinking about this I decided to swap scopes, put a nice 4-12 Herter's on the Remington and then Weaver on the Romanian 22 trainer. I will be headed back to the range shortly after the coffee pot is empty. I don't want to give up on the Weaver just yet. It looks better on the Remington than the Herter's though either is period correct.

Winter will be settling in in a week or so, for 6 long months so there is plenty of time to decide what to do with then Weaver if I can't get it working.

Ken

Boolit Master

Pressman. if you decide you want to have that Weaver repaired, there used to be a guy by the name of Parsons that would completely refurbish a Weaver for a reasonable price. I haven't looked him up on the internet lately. james

Just looked him up. email= parsonsscope@zoomtown.com or phone= 513-867-0820
    No I don't have a financial interest in this one way or the other, james
    Last edited by TNsailorman; 11-06-2020 at 01:42 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    I would say that if something was stuck it would have still been zeroed. I have had them old Weaver scopes ,and never had any problems with tracking,or loose reticules,but I have had problems with loose ocular lenses,and it will throw off accuracy,but not to the extent that you are encountering. I have had loose reticules in old Japanese scopes ,and from what I noticed from them is they use some sort of glue to help hold them in position,and the glue eventually breaks down into a yellow powder,but I have no clue if the old steel tube Weavers used any type of glue. I would beat around on it lightly,and see if the reticule gets canted. I never have heard of a spring rusting in a scope,but them old Weaver are bad to get internal moisture. Take it off and shake it up next to your ear,and you may hear something loose.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    I really like the Japan made Weavers, and have a little 1-3x20 on my 336 Texan. Hope I can get at least a few decades out of it!
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Banned
    I took the Weaver out this morning mounted to the Romanian 22. Starting with the elevation screw all the way down it put a round at the bottom of the target at 20 yards, and four inches left. Making normal adjustments moved the point of impact as expected. So, why didin't it work on a 222?
    Switching to the 222 it was not hitting the paper at 50 yards with the Herter's scope. Turns out the elevation was correct but the windage was off to the left 15 inches. I adjusted my aiming point on the target and the first shot hit the target, well it hit the right side vertical rod that supports the target. It was a clean hit, cutting the 1/4" rod clean off. That was the end of shooting for the day. Windy tomorrow and Sunday then back to cold, cloudy and raining. Spring and nice shooting conditions is just 6 months away.

Ken

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by TNsailorman View Post
    Pressman. if you decide you want to have that Weaver repaired, there used to be a guy by the name of Parsons that would completely refurbish a Weaver for a reasonable price. I haven't looked him up on the internet lately. james

Just looked him up. email= parsonsscope@zoomtown.com or phone= 513-867-0820
    No I don't have a financial interest in this one way or the other, james
    Thanks. I just emailed him, I have a couple of old Weavers I think are worth fixing.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mk42gunner View Post
    I know that feeling all to well. I had a K4 mounted on a customized (very customized) 98a Mauser in .30-06. It was fine one spring when I was home on leave, then that fall it had magically fogged up.

I have since replaced it with a Leupold Vari-x II 2-7X. The bigger problem was the original base was one of the old looong Beular's (I know I didn't spell that name correctly) with the lowest rings I have ever seen, it needed the long spacing of the K4 to allow room for the rings.

My biggest gripe with the replacement base is that even with super low Leupold rings the scope now sits about 1/8 inch higher than is optimal.

Robert
    Two of my favorite scopes and rifle right there:
    I have my dads custom Mauser (.270) wearing a 2-7 Vari-X II, and a custom Springfield ‘03 wearing a K-4.

My Ruger #3 .22 Hornet has a stainless K-4 (bought it right about the time they went bankrupt.)

I just mounted an old 3-9 Weaver I had laying around on a AR-15 HBAR I built (it is one heavy rig now!)

Pressman...one of the first things to do when moving a scope from one rifle to another ( or if you get one used) is to zero it out with a mirror. Put the objective on a mirror then move the adjusters until the crosshairs and its reflection overlay each other.

Just a helpful hint so you don't waste too much ammo trying to find POI.

redhawk

The only stupid question...is the unasked one.
    Not all who wander....are lost.
    "Common Sense" is like a flower. It doesn't grow in everyone's garden.

If more government is the answer, then it was a really stupid question. - Ronald Reagan

Banned
    Thanks Redhawk, that's an idea that I had not heard before. Well worth doing.

Thank You

Boolit Master

Yes, Thanks Redhawk for the information. I am 78 years old and never heard that before. I am going to have to try it out. james

USMC 77, USRA 79

wow redhawk... that is a great idea!!!!
    Any technology not understood, can seem like Magic!!!

I will love the Lord with all my heart, all my soul, and all my mind.

Although I've never tried it...it might be possible to do it with the scope mounted as well. But it could be a little more tricky to hold a mirror flat, look through the scope and tweak knobs at the same time. I've always had the scope off the rifle with the mirror laying flat on a table. then you can just hold the scope in place and tweak.

I can't remember where I heard that little trick...but it works great...and I can't take credit for its origin.

redhawk

The only stupid question...is the unasked one.
    Not all who wander....are lost.
    "Common Sense" is like a flower. It doesn't grow in everyone's garden.

If more government is the answer, then it was a really stupid question. - Ronald Reagan

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast