WidenersInline FabricationReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
Repackbox Load Data

Thread: ruger m77/327???

Banned

ruger m77/327???

I have been doing some investigating, and would like to hear from the pros here.
    Is it feasible to take a ruger m77 in .204, or 223 and swap out(or have a barrel made) in .327?
    Rim diameters are very close. I doubt the magazine would function, but it would still be interesting as a single shot.
    Thoughts?
    Please don't be afraid to point out the obvious flaws if I am seeing unicorns and pixies here.
    Of course, the perfect gun for me would be a Ruger #1 with double set triggers chambered for .327 Federal.....but my funds are not without limitations.
    Last edited by JohnSmiles; 11-05-2020 at 07:18 PM.

Boolit Master
    It should work fine as a single shot, though as you said, magazine feed might be a bit harder to get working.
    Nozombies.com Practical Zombie Survival

Collecting .32 molds. Please let me know if you have one you don't need, cause I might "need" it!

Boolit Grand Master
    Wouldn't you have to headspace off the case mouth then? Interesting thought though. Might have to get a reamer and try this out with a Rem single shot action I have laying around!!!

You might be able to have the .204 or .223 issue barrel re-bored out to .32 - IF you can find a re-bore tech that has the tooling to do it, instead of larger bores.

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by pietro View Post

You might be able to have the .204 or .223 issue barrel re-bored out to .32 - IF you can find a re-bore tech that has the tooling to do it, instead of larger bores.

Only if the barrel is set back considerably, as the chamber of the original cartridge is much larger than the body of the .32 family straightwall cartridges

Collecting .32 molds. Please let me know if you have one you don't need, cause I might "need" it!

Boolit Grand Master
    Not to mention the diameter of the cartridges. A Ruger #1a would be a nice one

I have wondered for years why one of the Gun companies doesnt seize on the idea of building rifles of calibers such as 32 and similar low power cartridges. After WW2 the companies were in an arms race to see who could build the biggest and fastest cartridge. While that works out well for things like varmit shooting and other long range games, it’s not need for a lot of recreational shooting. A lot of useful rifles were dropped, most were in inexpensive single shots.

Boolit Master

Im in the midst of a project Savage 340. I got it as a box of parts. Over a few months I was able to buy the needed parts. It came with a unmarked but full 1.25" dia barrel. Chambered 22 Hornet.

Im a big (late coming) fan if the 327. Having had two H&R Rugers always left me lacking. Wanting more power at times. The 327 answered and completely satisfies that need. I have pushed a Lyman 311440 bullet of 150g to 1100 fps with BD powder in a 5.5" bbl. I ordered a received a 135 WFN expressly designed for the short S7 cylinder and Im using more of those now. Great bullet @1250!! But nice shooter at 1050 too very accurate.

I need to check if a 327 case head fits the bolt face... Id enjoy a bolt 327 more then another hornet.

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Banned
    Good! Glad to hear I am not overlooking something obvious. So I could take a remington 700 or 788 or a ruger m77, originally chambered in 204, 222 or 223, and have a barrel chambered in 327 installed and with minimal tweaks have a functioning and safe bolt action 327, possibly even modify the magazine so it would not be a single shot rifle?
    FYI, whether or not the magazine is feasible is totally irrelevant.

How about a Contender carbine in 327 ?

Banned
    Not off the table, but liking this idea better. I haven't ruled anything out.

Boolit Bub
    If you are handy with sheet metal work, you could duplicate the slant magazine box Mauser used to use for rimmed rounds in the 98 actions. Similar to the Siamese box, it slants from the rear of the action to the front. Follower would need to be milled from scratch to work I'm guessing as well, but then you could make the follower fit the round too.
    For an easy single shot, you might look at one of the Uberti Hi-Wall rifles. Find a hornet or 32-20 and rebarrel. Extractor work would be minimal. Just an aside, you could build up a single shot on a small bore single shot shotgun. I used an SMLE barrel that was sitting around to make a Baikal .410 into a 32 H&R. Right bore size, just cut off the chamber end, turn to fit inside the bore of the shotgun, glue it in, and chamber ream. Used TIG to build up the extractor recess and recut it. Need to build loads now.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Doubletap View Post
    If you are handy with sheet metal work, you could duplicate the slant magazine box Mauser used to use for rimmed rounds in the 98 actions. Similar to the Siamese box, it slants from the rear of the action to the front. Follower would need to be milled from scratch to work I'm guessing as well, but then you could make the follower fit the round too.
    For an easy single shot, you might look at one of the Uberti Hi-Wall rifles. Find a hornet or 32-20 and rebarrel. Extractor work would be minimal. Just an aside, you could build up a single shot on a small bore single shot shotgun. I used an SMLE barrel that was sitting around to make a Baikal .410 into a 32 H&R. Right bore size, just cut off the chamber end, turn to fit inside the bore of the shotgun, glue it in, and chamber ream. Used TIG to build up the extractor recess and recut it. Need to build loads now.
    I am no gunsmith or metal worker or welder. Just a guy looking for options before I start buying parts, barrels or actions.
    Looking for ideas and advice.
    The load part I can handle.

I think the Ruger M77 switched to controlled round feed when they went to the Mk2 version. That complicates the issue, even for single shot use. A Ruger American with the push feed and barrel nut system would be easier to work with it seems. Or a Savage, if you’re not dead set on Ruger. Extractor and bolt face work probably needed too, going from rimless to rimmed.
    BUT- as a hand loader; you can take a Ruger American in .300 Blackout and easily duplicate .327 Federal loads- if you want!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    I think the Ruger M77 switched to controlled round feed when they went to the Mk2 version. That complicates the issue, even for single shot use. A Ruger American with the push feed and barrel nut system would be easier to work with it seems. Or a Savage, if you’re not dead set on Ruger. Extractor and bolt face work probably needed too, going from rimless to rimmed.
    BUT- as a hand loader; you can take a Ruger American in .300 Blackout and easily duplicate .327 Federal loads- if you want!
    Yes I could, but unless the chamber is for 327 federal, I can't also use 32 mag, 32 s&w long, 32 long cf, 32 acp, 32 s&w and 32 sc.
    I was not aware the M77 has changed. That could complicate things a bit. Just have to make sure it is not the newer version I suppose.

Stubbing a shotgun barrel produces a super fun gun. This was a 12 gauge but for a .327 I would start with a 20 or a .410.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    With the .32 S&W based cartridges, a .223/222 etc. bolt face won't require any significant rework, as the rim diameter is the same, and the extractor clearance groove on the rimless rounds is about the same depth as the body diameter of the .32 cartridges. Based on his comments, the OP knows this I assume, so I'm posting the info for the folks who are trying to figure out what we're talking about.

I do think that a Mk2 M77 might be a little more work than say a 788 or other push feed action.

Banned
    Well, just purchased a handi barrel in 223 to either stub or reline, whichever is most feasible to achieve a 327 rifle.