RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
WidenersRepackboxLoad DataLee Precision
Reloading Everything Inline Fabrication

Thread: 32 win special target load

32 win special target load

I am new to the forum not sure if I'm posting in the right place but here goes. I am trying to find out if I can use win 748 powder and 170 gr fp cast bullets that have been powder coated with no gas checks for a target shooting light load around 1600fps?

Banned
    Yes.
    Please post results with pictures of your target.
    R/Griff

Banned
    http://www.hodgdonreloading.com/data/rifle

lyman 50th 32 win spcl 165 grn boolit calls for 748 start 28.5 -- max 30

I'd start at 28 and work my way up.

Me thinks you would be better off with a different powder if your after that velocity range . Unique and 2400 would work along with a few others
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

Boolit Grand Master
    I don't think you can get quite that low a velocity with the WW-748 without going under the optimum pressure range, but 27.5 grains should give you about 1700 fps. Assuming a 20 inch Barrel, this might work for you, but I have my doubts. I have to join the chorus recommending the use of another powder, one of the shotgun powders, unique, 2400, red dot, green dot, herco, hs-6 etc.

I have used 7.0 grains of Herco with a 321-427 a 135-ish grain round nose in a Marlin 36, and 7.5 grains of red Dot with a 170 grain FN from an old Modern Bond mold, but they both used gas checks. I wish I had hung onto all three, but they went down the road in 1999 when I took a new job that had better benefits but lower pay.
    Last edited by rintinglen; 11-10-2020 at 03:28 PM. Reason: error noted.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Thanks for the great info!!!!

Boolit Master
    32 Special is an excellent cast caliber, Over the years I've sold my 30-30s and focused on this.
    Where's the Kaboom? There was supposed to be an earth shattering Kaboom.

Marvin the Martian

Boolit Master
    I've got a couple Marlin's in 32 Special. I've used Reloder 7, 4198, 4227, and 5744 for moderate loads (1500-1800fps) with excellent accuracy with 165 gr, Matt's 185 gr and some 200gr from Bullshop, finding .324 diameter to work best in my rifles. Many/most ball/spherical rifle powders need higher pressures to work well with light to moderate loads. I have used HP-38 and HS-7(discontinued) for light loads successfully. I am using flat-nose gas-checked lubricated bullets.

10 grs. Of Unique and RCBS 170 RNFP .323” 1400 FPS in my 1956 Winchester 1894 .32 Special, bug hole groups.

Boolit Grand Master
    Whoops! in my original post I got my wires crossed. it should have read 7.5 grains of Red Dot It's corrected now.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Master
    My load is what Randy B. posted above, but I have yet to powder coat for the 32SPCL.

Next batch of boolits.

prs

Boolit Buddy
    A good topic as I just bought an 1894 Win in .32 special knowing that it had a ratty bore so I was originally going to have it rebored to 38-55. It's a pistol grip model with a 26" barrel, button mag and half octagon. The stock was toast so I have it fitted with a new stock but not finished yet. A lever gun shooting friend said I owed it to the rifle to see if it would shoot so bought the dies brass an 180 grain gas check bullets. I took 4 different loads to the range abut 2 weeks ago. I was surprised. I shot a 2 3/4" group at 100 yds using 15 gr of 4759 and another one almost as good. The next best group was with Reloader 7. I also tried 4227 and 4198. They were not as good, but I didn't try various weights and I don't know what my velocities were so those powders could do just as well. Now my only problem is finding more 4759. I plan on using this rifle in our lever gun silhouette matches out to 300 yds. So I have a few questions.
    What is target accuracy?
    What are bug hole groups and does the group walk as the barrel heats up?
    Can they shoot reliably to 300 yds?Click image for larger version. 

Name:	32  Win group (640x640).jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	53.7 KB 
ID:	271247
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 32 Win group 2 (563x640).jpg