Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyInline FabricationRotoMetals2
RepackboxLoad DataLee PrecisionReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters Supply Wideners
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Wrote a book

I just bought the paperback.

Boolit Grand Master

If you want criticism, it's too nice for a serial killer book. To add the depth you need to explore evil in very real terms. Read some of the work by FBI profilers. At one point in my life I thought I wanted to do that work. Reading those books convinced me that I did not want my mind to enter the minds of the truly evil. As a beginning consider the fact that there is little if any difference between the completely selfish mind and the evil mind.

If, like me, you decide not to go there change the genre in which you write. Westerns, Science Fiction, Historical Fiction, etc. are all available.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Mold
    Just downloaded it. I will read it tomorrow & give an honest review. Congrats on your accomplishment.

Super Moderator Emeritus
    Idaho read your book, I enjoyed it killer was whom I pegged. Liked it well enough will read the next in the series so get writing.

Went and ordered a paperback copy. Can't wait to read it. My brother is an aspiring writer and I've found I really enjoy reading novellas from him and others recently...
    "Give me liberty, or give me death!" Patrick Henry ,March 23, 1775

I agree with Preacher Jim...I finished it as well and I had the killer figured out. Looking forward to what happens next....and a picture of that blonde on the cover would be good

redhawk

The only stupid question...is the unasked one.
    Not all who wander....are lost.
    "Common Sense" is like a flower. It doesn't grow in everyone's garden.

If more government is the answer, then it was a really stupid question. - Ronald Reagan

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by redhawk0 View Post
    I agree with Preacher Jim...I finished it as well and I had the killer figured out. Looking forward to what happens next....and a picture of that blonde on the cover would be good

redhawk
    Yeah, that was the common feedback I got from family and friends; that the killer was too easily identified earlier on. I agree.

It seems that in mystery/thriller books, there are two approaches to the antagonist. The first is to keep their identity hidden from the reader and then at the end, have a surprise reveal. The really good ones can have you thinking one character is the killer, then at the very end, add a mind-blowing twist in which a character you didn't suspect was the actual killer.

The second approach is one in which you know who the killer is from the outset, and the book plays out as a nail-biting cat and mouse game in seeing the protagonist prevail in the end.

I went for the first option but didn't really pull it off very well and gave away too many clues. Live and learn.
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Smith View Post
    If you want criticism, it's too nice for a serial killer book. To add the depth you need to explore evil in very real terms. Read some of the work by FBI profilers. At one point in my life I thought I wanted to do that work. Reading those books convinced me that I did not want my mind to enter the minds of the truly evil. As a beginning consider the fact that there is little if any difference between the completely selfish mind and the evil mind.

If, like me, you decide not to go there change the genre in which you write. Westerns, Science Fiction, Historical Fiction, etc. are all available.
    I understand. The appealing thing about my main character is that I can have his next adventure be either another murder case, or he could face a corrupt timber company, or be fighting wildfires in California, or travel to Puerto Rico to provide law and order for a hurricane-ravaged community (my buddy who is a USFS LEO actually did this a couple of years ago).

So the character is eminently malleable in that regard.

I'm still trying to decide which direction to go for the next book.
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Boolit Grand Master

You did an excellent work in character development, and description and in the development of the plot. Those are part of the most difficult areas of writing. I know I am a terrible, boring writer. LOML edited our son's first book, and he called himself Tobias Mastgrave. He also self published on Amazon, search for Tobias Mastgrave and you will see some of what I was describing in my criticism. His description of sin is an excellent example of what is missing in your book. He has never yet finished his desire to do three books, one describing sin, one forgiveness, and one grace. He is now ABD (all but dissertation) for his PhD in comparative ethics and busy finishing his dissertation and raising two and soon three children with his wonderful wife. I hope he will eventually finish the series he first described.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Master

I really enjoyed your book. It was reminiscent of some of William Kent Krueger’s offering & I read it cover to cover! I hope you continue the series & write more episodes. I also think your natural talent will improve your writing style but there’s really not that much that needs improvement.

I finished it. Here is what I think. I am by no means a critic. Grew up as a kid without a TV in the house and have read a lot of books in my life. The characters you developed were really to my liking. The details you give when writing were just the right amount for me, I read every word and really enjoyed it. In my opinion you have a knack for it, and you should definitely write more books. I guessed right on who the
    killer was but the writing was strong enough it didn't bother me. Will buy your next one for sure and looking forward to it.
    " My people skills are just fine. It's my tolerance for idiots that needs work."

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by clum553946 View Post
    I really enjoyed your book. It was reminiscent of some of William Kent Krueger’s offering & I read it cover to cover! I hope you continue the series & write more episodes. I also think your natural talent will improve your writing style but there’s really not that much that needs improvement.
    Thank you!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by KMac View Post
    I finished it. Here is what I think. I am by no means a critic. Grew up as a kid without a TV in the house and have read a lot of books in my life. The characters you developed were really to my liking. The details you give when writing were just the right amount for me, I read every word and really enjoyed it. In my opinion you have a knack for it, and you should definitely write more books. I guessed right on who the
    killer was but the writing was strong enough it didn't bother me. Will buy your next one for sure and looking forward to it.
    Thank you so much! Very kind words.

Boolit Master
    How was the publishing process with Amazon?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Battis View Post
    How was the publishing process with Amazon?
    It was amazingly easy. Had I already in my possession a finished and formatted manuscript, it would have taken me about an hour to completely submit and publish my book.

But, I had to have the manuscript sent out for formatting and editing. I was able to start the process with Amazon months in advance and get everything lined up and saved for the final version. I took my own photos for the cover and had more fun designing it than actually writing the book.

It was a pretty seamless and painless process and I would encourage anyone wanting to self-publish to check it out. Tons of videos on YouTube regarding the process.
    Last edited by Idaho45guy; 11-12-2020 at 03:36 AM.

Boolit Man
    Bought it, read it in one sitting. Good book. Keep polishing - you have the makings of a commercially successful writer.

Boolit Master

I'm not quite half way thru the book on my Kindle. Don't know how long it took the posted readers to figure out the villain, but I haven't yet. I will say this that you have written at least as well as many of the authors of other "who-dun-its". Many authors of, quote, "Thrillers" don't do as well. I give up on some after one book(or less).
    John
    W.TN

Boolit Master

Thanks for the kind words!

I received my shipment of my own copies yesterday and will get them signed and sent out to those that requested them shortly.

Boolit Mold
    Bought it, read it, loved it ! Only criticism I have is that the Torino engine had 700 horses and I do believe earlier in the script 652 hp was mentioned. But I may be wrong. Either way I enjoyed the book and am waiting for book two.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Biganimal View Post
    Bought it, read it, loved it ! Only criticism I have is that the Torino engine had 700 horses and I do believe earlier in the script 652 hp was mentioned. But I may be wrong. Either way I enjoyed the book and am waiting for book two.
    Nice catch! I believe that was one of the details I was going to fix and it slipped through.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast