Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersRepackbox
Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2Inline FabricationLoad Data
Snyders Jerky Reloading Everything

Thread: Herters o super press

Boolit Master

Herters o super press

I just got one of these. Does anyone know if this is a real swag press or just more Herters hype?

Boolit Master
    the Super O should be strong enough to swage mostly anything. this will depend on your mounting. i have mine standing height. front holes are mounted with 3" screw type bolts . top screws are again 3" nut and bolt . Standing height is called work height standing 42" in Height. my tables are bolted to the concrete. i have swages brass and bullets, solt lead, hardlead , and sized lead.
    it's best to use herters original shell holders without adaptors
    NRA Endowment Member
    International Ammunition Association
    New York, the Empire State Where Empires were Won and Lost

Boolit Master
    The shell holder adapter does have a very thin top so I can see how that could be an issue. Thanks for the reply. Buck

Banned
    The Herter's shellholders with ba solid shank, ie: no center hole were made to use with their 7/8-14 swage dies. If you run across any they were mostly in #1, 30-06 case head.

The Model O Super, or Super O as it's called has four possible link pin settings to shorten ram travel for swaging. Be careful when taking the bottom link pin out, that hole has a roller bearing that you don't want to loose parts out of.

Also important is checking the bottom of the mounting base for flat, most were not flat and tightening down the mounting bolts will crack it.

Boolit Master
    I noticed That unflat bottom on Mine when I purchased it . A simple grind down job solved That. The Herter "Rockchucker" press also has that poor casting but worst
    NRA Endowment Member
    International Ammunition Association
    New York, the Empire State Where Empires were Won and Lost

Boolit Master
    Why would you need a shell holder instead of a a straight punch to swage bullets?

Yeah, I noticed the torrington type bearing in the pin hole but it stayed put.

My base is not flat so I didn't wrench down on the lag screws but I will be grinding it flat.

Some where in the recent past I found a Herters .452 swage die but it was missing the bottom punch. I made one on my lathe and have used it on my rockchuck press to swage cast bullets. It makes very uniform cast boolits. I assume these dies were made for making half jacketed bullets. Would this 7/8x14 die be strong enough to swage fully annealed 40S&W cases and a soft lead core into jacketed bullets? It would be easy to make a bottom punch for the Super o?