MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxInline FabricationLoad Data
RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
Lee Precision Wideners
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Anybody know this rifle?

Looks like fun, but reminds me of Johnny Cash’s Cadillac.

I just love projects like this. Thanks for sharing.

Boolit Grand Master

Magazine: You need to decide how any rounds are enough for your needs.
    Many old Winchesters that were carried daily had modifications done to them. Magazines were cut for numerous reasons to what ever length that fixed the crushed mag tube or supplied enough rounds for the owners needs.
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Boolit Grand Master
    Of course it's all up to what you want, but if it were me, I'd cut it back and re-fit the original design. Kind of unrelated but, my buddy came into a real beater marlin and had JES re-cut it to .375 Win. When it came back we discussed the next step in the rehab and the rifle ended up with the mag tube cut back to just beyond the forearm. Transformed the rifle. Just made it sportier, lighter in the point & easy on the carry. Did a few ounces of removed metal make that happen? Hardly. It was just a different feel and attitude. He's very glad we did.

Boolit Master on Heaven’s Range
    THere is a lot of good in the winchester model 55,or 64 style mag.tube.....one of my sales mistakes was selling a 1920's edition '94 that carried a original model 64 barrel and front end..butttstock was md.55 style....still hoping the young lady that bought it will decide she has to have a black rifle instead !!!!!
    "The Eagle is no flycatcher"

Boolit Buddy
    Every time I see an old rifle or handgun that has been reduced to being that kind of condition, it just gives me a case of the sads, even if I really wouldn't have a lot of interest in it myself if it were in perfectly good condition instead.

However, seeing the restoration of an old rifle found in that condition... now that has the opposite effect.

Well done!

Boolit Master
    Thanks for kind words and comments. How many shells do I need in magazine at one time? 3 or 4 is plenty for me, we ALL know we get the deer first shot, with perhaps a final "kill" shot - well, that's usually true because if first shot misses, the next shot is usually shot after a "hope 'n prayer". For personal reasons I don't usually take a shot like that. AND, 99% of my shooting with that rifle will be punching holes in paper.

I do enjoy project guns - got a few of them, old Rolling Blocks, a trapdoor, and a Western Auto Revelation 30-30 lever action (Marlin 336) Jes rebored to 38-55 for me. I do have one modern reproduction 1874 Sharps made by Pedersoli.

Ken H>

Boolit Master

this has been fun to watch, you have some major skills with machining please continue to keep us posted as you progress. My oldest daughter used to live in Daphne.

You asked, so I'll vote for the shorter mag tube as I think it will look better. Keep us posted, it's going to be great. I've made a 1/2 mag conversion on a couple of 94 Winchesters and they handled great.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    OK, ya'll win - I cut the magazine tube today. Allow me a couple days to get tube finished and installed to make another photo.

Yep, Daphne is just up the road from me, good town. I've lived in Fairhope since 2007 or 2008 time frame. 2010 I purchased a house a couple miles outside city limits which was great with my shooting range in backyard. Last winter they moved city limits to my property line really messing up my shooting range

Later

Boolit Master
    Here's the magazine that's now cut off. I've still got to finish the tube. I planned to finish the end cap, but sorta like the looks of the clean finish that has a pewter look. I know the 1876 didn't have the pewter caps like the old Sharps did, but still looks good.

Boolit Grand Master
    Keep the photos coming! Looks super.

Your the only one you need to impress! Looks good to me!

Boolit Master
    OK, here's the result with shorten magazine and treated in FeCl to the "aged" look on tube and endcap. Bad reflection on the side plate, and I do have more work to do on the rifle. Trying to get it shooting condition, then work on details. The lever is a Uberti finger lever that was loaned to me by an extremely nice forum member who has been good enough to share knowledge with me.

I shot 5 rounds of 18.3 grains Lil'Gun with a 208 grain bullet, seating depth of 2.15" OAL. The 5 rounds gave 1574 to 1621 fps range with chrono. Tilted barrel up on two shots gave 1610 & 1621 fps. Seems like Lil'Gun needs filler over powder since 18.3 grains is only about 40% brass fill. Since I'm shooting in back yard I've only got 15 yds or so. Shooting offhand there's no way to tell accuracy. It does make nice round holes in paper and grouped like I'd expect for me shooting offhand.

Boolit Buddy
    Remarkable progress, with what you started with. I shoot a 45-75 1876 and use 4198. I would avoid Lil Gun. Looking forward to additional reports on your 1876.
    Rick

Boolit Master
    Thank you Rick for the nice words about my progress. I'll have to admit I sorta impressed myself since I had no idea what a toggle link lever action was when I first got the rifle. I had idea I'd for sure get it to shooting. I've learned LOTS about toggle links and what parts fit, and how to make the Uberti parts fit the original.

Now, why would you avoid Lil'Gun powder? It seems to give low pressure when loading for around 1400 fps with a decent amount of powder burnt. Lit'Gun ≈ 84% power burnt vs H4198 ≈ 63%. I realize the case is <1/2 full with Lil'Gun while with 4198 the case is over half full which would prevent double charge, and Lil'Gun does need a filler to hold powder back toward primer for better ignition.

Boolit Grand Master

1873 Winchester probably a 38-40 from the dimensions given. Most of the Cimarron parts will fit with a little work if the bore is good it might be worth fixing up.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by KCSO View Post
    1873 Winchester probably a 38-40 from the dimensions given. Most of the Cimarron parts will fit with a little work if the bore is good it might be worth fixing up.
    Which rifle are you talking about when you say 1873? The rifle I have is an 1876 in 40-60 caliber marked on barrel (see post #10).

Boolit Bub
    Great project. The accumulated knowledge on this forum is impressive.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Tortoise1 View Post
    Great project. The accumulated knowledge on this forum is impressive.
    You are so right about the accumulated knowledge - and folks willing to share knowledge. Folks on this forum and the '76 forum on CAS site are the ONLY reason I've had success in rebuilding this rifle and getting to shoot it.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast