WidenersInline FabricationRepackboxTitan Reloading
Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingLee PrecisionLoad Data
RotoMetals2 MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Anybody know this rifle?

Boolit Master

Anybody know this rifle?

Hello all, these are photos of an old rifle my son-in-law has. As you can see parts are missing, but it does seem to be an old lever action. The bore at the muzzle is .401" and best I can tell the base of the chamber next to the rim portion of the cartridge is .490" diameter.

This first image is the full length view.

Next the side view. The solid section just forward of the opening is where the magazine would go (I think). It does look like a magazine area, but the bottom of the octagonal barrel is rounded to inside as if a tubular magazine was used.

Here the inside of the rear open section is shown. The trigger and hammer shows up and the portion where a lever would hinge.

Top view where the hammer is visible. The section just sin front of the hammer is a dovetailed that sticks above receiver like a scope mount or something. There is a typical dovetail recessed into the barrel (shows in the side view) about 5" in front of the receiver.

Bottom view.

Anybody got an ideas what manuf, year, etc of this rifle?

Ken H>

It looks like a toggle-action Winchester.

73 Winchester would be my guess but I'm no authority.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Grand Master

Probably a 38-40..... But a measurement of the action from the barrel to the hammer will show if it could be a 1876 or 1873
    But the upper tang has the Model and the lower tang is the serial# to determine the year.
    "Behold The Lamb of God that taketh away the sin of the world". John 1:29
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1280px-Winchester_1873_Rifle.jpg 
Views:	249 
Size:	18.5 KB 
ID:	270732

Click to enlarge ... Winchester 1873 Lever Action Rifle
    Regards
    John

Boolit Mold
    Based on the short wrist area of the receiver, and the dimensions you gave, my guess would be an 1876 in 40-60.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Martini450 View Post
    Based on the short wrist area of the receiver, and the dimensions you gave, my guess would be an 1876 in 40-60.
    I believe you are correct
    1) the length of the sideplates - 76 sideplates are twice the length vs height - 73 much less length to height (shorter in proportion)
    2) case dimensions (if he measured reasonably close) 38/40 case is .460 something at the base - 40/60 case would be .500 or close

Whats there seems not in bad order - I wonder where did the rest of it go?

Boolit Buddy
    Ditto ,, Martini 450 ,, I am rebuilding a 76 45-60 ,, wish I had this fellers ( 40-60 ),, if the bore is fair to good.

coffee's ready ,, Hootmix.

Agree it's a winchester 1876.

Boolit Master
    Thanks a bunch for the info - It looks like the 1876 Winchester lever action. After reading more about the rifle I find the model is listed on the upper tang - and dang if it's not right there. 1876 it says. The serial number is listed on the lower tang as 40xxx. I "should" have found that, but did look over the barrel really good but nothing can be determined there.

40-60 caliber is what it is, stamped on top of barrel next to receiver. The side plate space measures right at 2" at the back, and 4-1/4" long at max distance. Ya'll are right, what's here seems to be in decent shape, even the bore is shootable.

If this rifle was complete and in good shape it would be darn valuable! I saw some listed for several thousand bucks! It might be worthwhile to look for replacement parts - any idea where they might be found? OR, reproduced?

I didn't find anything stamped on rifle until I read more and found out where to look for what info. It's there, faint but visible.

Thanks again to all ya'll for the help.

Ken H>
    Last edited by KenH; 11-04-2020 at 07:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by KenH View Post
    ! It might be worthwhile to look for replacement parts - any idea where they might be found? OR, reproduced?

You'll most likely need to buy whatever from different parts sellers, as any one wouldn't necessarily have all that you need.

http://homesteadparts.com/shop/winch...876-c-1_5.html

https://winchesterbob.com/?page_id=55

https://gun-parts.com/winchesterrifle/

https://www.gunpartscorp.com/gun-man...ifles-win/1876

https://www.cimarron-firearms.com/18...ial-parts.html

Here is a listing from Winchester, for their designated obsolete parts dealers:https://www.winchesterguns.com/suppo...d-service.html

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Boolit Buddy
    Ken ,,, not to throw water on your fire ( big bucks ),, the " big Bucks Win. " are all original w/ correct numbers on various internal parts , how ever if put together w/ orig. ( as much as possible ) parts it would still be a very desire-able rifle ,, and funnnn ,, to shoot ,, great find !!!

coffee's ready ,, Hootmix.

Boolit Master
    Those are some very good links. Yep, I fully understand the need for an actual original parts are required for the "high dollar" rifles. Thank you again for those links. I can at least drool over the parts {g}.

Remember, I said in first post "old rifle my son-in-law has". I sure wish it was my find. Now at least I'll be able to tell him all about the history of that model rifle.

Ken H>
    Last edited by KenH; 11-05-2020 at 10:49 AM.

Boolit Master
    Looks like an 1873 Winchester and if it's .401 bullet diameter it's in .38-40 because that's the actual bullet diameter for the round.
    Whatever cannot be remedied, must be endured.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by David LaPell View Post
    Looks like an 1873 Winchester and if it's .401 bullet diameter it's in .38-40 because that's the actual bullet diameter for the round.
    David
    Post number 6 and 7 got it (I missed the difference in wrist length at first look)
    He's verified it from barrel and tang markings in post 10 as a 1876 in 40-60 calibre (yes same bore as 38/40 but a 45/70 size base)
    very nice find I think!

If he's been in the same small city and that's where the rifle came from, I would try to contact any old timer gunsmiths or people that have bought out gunsmiths: looks like it was disassembled to be blued. Something may have happened to the owner/smith causing the parts to be separated.

Boolit Master
    might check and see if poppert's gun parts in PA has some bits and pieces to put it back together.
    if it was reblued whoever did it knew what they were doing, all corners and edges still look good and sharp

Boolit Master
    I don't know the history of this rifle, but my S-I-L is from Minnesota where he grew up hunting with his Grandpa. I'm pretty sure the rifle is from that area. I agree, the rifle is in better condition than I'd expect for an old rifle that's incomplete. It's only used as a wall hanger, wonder if I could trade for it? I could start looking for parts and perhaps have a shooter out of it. I'd LOVE to do that.
    Last edited by KenH; 11-29-2020 at 04:35 PM.

Boolit Master
    I just got off phone with S-I-L about origins of the rifle. Turns out his father purchased it at an estate sale auction a few yrs ago up in Minnesota, so they know nothing about the history of rifle. Now for the GREAT news - Christmas came early this year. S-I-L insisted I take the rifle as an early Christmas present. I'm happy - and do plan to be spending a bit of money looking for parts to make it shootable. This will be a slow process, but will be looking. First parts to look for are the lever (lever screw is in place), breech block assembly/firing pin, the linkage to work the bolt, and carrier block.

Yes, I know there is LOTS more to it than those few parts I mentioned, but let's allow a dream to live a while longer This will NOT be a short term project.

Ken H>

Ken good luck in your quest.