RepackboxRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Lee PrecisionInline FabricationWidenersSnyders Jerky
Reloading Everything Load Data
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Snubby Revolvers: Obsolete?

Boolit Master
    Just got back from the gun shop where I consigned two Taurus P-111 9mm. for sale and did the paper work on a 357 Mag Pug which hope to pick Saturday. just can't work the slides like I used to

Quote Originally Posted by Baltimoreed View Post
    Attachment 271210
    Here’s one that Sherlock would have carried.
    Please tell us more about your Webley and Scott No. 2 Bulldog revolver. Do you have access to 450 Bulldog ammo?

Picked up a "sheriffs" model 1858.
    I can see how people came to make them even shorter.

tdoor,
    I've grown quite fond of the Mag Pug.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by rfd View Post
    geez louise. what a crock o' nonsense. snubbies will be around and used for CCW forever. i know mine will ....

Attachment 270713
    looks like mine

Boolit Master

Doubt it. Take a shot in the pelvis and see what you do.

Load tests for penetration, expansion and foot-pounds is going to be fun and funner with the Mag Pug.
    Will have to trim brass back for some molds like the #410426.

Tatume, my Webley is considered a ‘late pattern’ .450 Metropolitan Police sn 888xx with a rack number 1351 under the logo. It’s not a Webley Bulldog. It has a 2.5 inch bbl, blued, original checkered grips that unfortunately have shrunken. It has POLICE stamped over the Webley manacled hands [police] logo with M P underneath. The double action worked ok when I got it but is not as good now. Single action is fine. Don’t have a clue as to when it was built though I’m pretty sure it was after 1900 being a late pattern. I came across some imported .450 loads years ago but had trimmed some .455 down prior to finding them. I drilled out the bases of 200 gr rnfp and loaded them light but haven’t shot it in years now.

Boolit Grand Master

Attachment 271255

Don't care for high capacity semi's when a good snubby will do the job.

Attachment 271256
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Boolit Master

I carry one or two daily and will until 6 carry me.I wish Ruger would build a 3 or 4 shot LCRx in 357mag
    Most of the time you only need one shot so why carry 10?
    Last edited by SSGOldfart; 11-12-2020 at 12:24 AM. Reason: Small keyboard and large fingers
    I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left.
    Paralyzed Veterans of America

Looking for a Hensly &Gibbs #258 any thing from a two cavity to a 10cavityI found a new one from a member here

Short barreled revolvers...my SP101 is stoked with 170 gr 358429 SWC’s over a healthy dose of Unique...gives us peace of mind when hiking in the High Desert/Sierra foothills. It’s not the bears we worry about but the big cats stalking us...it’s rare but it does happen.

Snub noses are forever... love em!
    Last edited by Hi-Speed; 11-12-2020 at 01:03 AM.

Boolit Master
    I'm old enough to have lived through a few changes in gun fashions. The current irrational obsession with large capacity (more than about 8 rounds) weapons (with fat sights) is fascinating.

If I had reason to believe I was going into a gun battle tomorrow with hordes of attackers I would want a double barreled, belt fed full auto .44 magnum and 3 cases of factory ammo for each barrel ... and a Jap bayonet in a Picatinny rail. But, I'm no Rambo and I know it so if that scenario were truly the case I bet I'd just stay home with my six shooter shotgun tomorrow. Meaning my love of the idea of a long running battle with massive capacity handgun magazines is quite low.

Life is real, it's not a movie. Given the very low probability of actually needing a defensive weapon tomorrow, or ever, while also knowing that having some defense is wise, makes me routinely choose a safe, easy to use, reliable and easily hidden (pocket) snubby. At least until someone markets a compact death ray gun. ??
    Last edited by 1hole; 11-12-2020 at 12:16 PM.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by smkummer View Post
    Sure we started out with at least light wadcutters but eventually worked up to at least standard service ammo.
    The .38 target wadcutter is probably the best-kept secret in SD ammo.

Expansion from a .38 Special can be iffy, even with +P rounds.

Terminal performance of the wadcutter is mind-numbingly predictable. It cuts a .36 hole, 16-18” of straight-line penetration in bare gel (roughly the same as a +P that actually expands.). Every single time.

Easy to control and usually shoots to POA in a FS gun. Only downside is slow to reload, for which reason I carry Remington 158 LSWCHP +P for my reloads.

Less than 2% of civilian SD shootings require more than 5 rounds. If a 15-round mag makes you feel comfortable, go for it.

I’ve considered switching to an auto, but here’s why I continue to carry a revolver: contact shots.

I have no stats to prove it, but as a civilian, I figure I am far, far more likely to have to make a contact shot than engage multiple opponents or one at distance (though I’m confident in my ability to hit a man at 50 yards with my M-64.)

In a tussle, it’s easy for an autoloader to get pushed out of battery. With a revolver, you can punch the crap out of your adversary with the barrel, bury it in their mid-section, pull the trigger, and it goes bang.

If I ever feel six isn’t enough, I’ll add a J-frame backup.

Boolit Bub
    I sure like to carry my S & W airweight...Forget I have it on me most of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Jtarm View Post
    The .38 target wadcutter is probably the best-kept secret in SD ammo.

Expansion from a .38 Special can be iffy, even with +P rounds.

Terminal performance of the wadcutter is mind-numbingly predictable. It cuts a .36 hole, 16-18” of straight-line penetration in bare gel (roughly the same as a +P that actually expands.). Every single time.

Easy to control and usually shoots to POA in a FS gun. Only downside is slow to reload, for which reason I carry Remington 158 LSWCHP +P for my reloads.

Less than 2% of civilian SD shootings require more than 5 rounds. If a 15-round mag makes you feel comfortable, go for it.

I’ve considered switching to an auto, but here’s why I continue to carry a revolver: contact shots.

I have no stats to prove it, but as a civilian, I figure I am far, far more likely to have to make a contact shot than engage multiple opponents or one at distance (though I’m confident in my ability to hit a man at 50 yards with my M-64.)

In a tussle, it’s easy for an autoloader to get pushed out of battery. With a revolver, you can punch the crap out of your adversary with the barrel, bury it in their mid-section, pull the trigger, and it goes bang.

If I ever feel six isn’t enough, I’ll add a J-frame backup.
    Full heavy wadcutter would be a good choice in the .41 snub as well. Clothing penetration might be a problem so a higher power level would be best... but I'd have to do penetration tests on that though, to know what to believe.

Boolit Master
    You might be surprised at how newer bullets expand/penetrate at lower velocities. This guy has the most extensive tests I have seen on bullet expansion of different calibers/bullets. One thing that is nice, the .38spl rounds were fired from 2" and 4" barrels.

https://www.luckygunner.com/labs/rev...cs-test/#38spl

Boolit Master
    Got my new 357 Mag Pug home yesterday, got it cleaned up , loaded with 125gr factory . Now have to start getting brass ready for it and have to cast more 357 dia slugs of different weights. then the fun begins .

Boolit Buddy
    If five shots aren't enough, consider the possibility of two-projectile loads. Here's a five shot, ten hole target.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bulldog_Target.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	64.6 KB 
ID:	271589
    Last edited by pettypace; 11-17-2020 at 03:45 PM.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345