RotoMetals2 Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Snubby Revolvers: Obsolete?

Boolit Buddy

Snubby Revolvers: Obsolete?

Let me know your thoughts folks!

Howard

Banned

geez louise. what a crock o' nonsense. snubbies will be around and used for CCW forever. i know mine will ....

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190507_111239.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	239.7 KB 
ID:	270713

Moderator Emeritus

I had recently picked up a Kimber 6s 357 3" to basically use as a backup and because I wanted one Figure this winter I will try and make a holster for it. I did just order a Hogue grip for her as I have some nerve damage in my last three fingers and have found the Hogue grips really help. Thanks for the videos.
    Ron

Boolit Master
    Yep, most definitely obsolete. Send them to me and I will be sure they are properly dispensed with.
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

They are still my preferred over a semi-auto. Much more reliable...no jamming. If I can't hit my target in 5-6 defensive shots, then I shouldn't be carrying in the first place.

redhawk

The only stupid question...is the unasked one.
    Not all who wander....are lost.
    "Common Sense" is like a flower. It doesn't grow in everyone's garden.

If more government is the answer, then it was a really stupid question. - Ronald Reagan

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    The skill set required to competently and safely manage an autopistol is perishable without regular refresher training and practice.

Once learned, instinctive DA firing of the revolver is more akin to riding a bicycle.

PM sent with more specifics.
    Last edited by Outpost75; 11-04-2020 at 11:20 AM.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Buddy

Very happy with my car gun.

I can imagine circumstances in which a large capacity semi-auto might be advantageous. I exercise the best self-defense strategy possible; I don't go there. I'm sorry for those who must. I'll hold onto my J-frame revolvers, thank you.

Boolit Master

Maybe in the mind of the 20 and 30 somethings... but no and likely not to happen. The wonder 9 crowd is swayed by having enough bullets to spray and pray and by not taking or having time to practice.

Boolit Master
    Ruger alone sells a pile of their LCP snubbies.

Banned
    Thank You HR. That was well presented.

These topics always result in strong opinions.

While I am well acquainted with both revolvers and pistols, years ago I made a decision to devote to the revolver for CCW.
    That was an informed decision and not one I arrived at quickly. However, had I approached that decision just a few years later, I probably would have selected a pistol over the revolver. A big part of that decision was based on what was available at the time.

I'm not convinced that capacity is the predominant issue.

To a degree "obsolete" may be somewhat synonymous with "one of those old-fashioned guns."

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Petrol & Powder View Post
    Thank You HR. That was well presented.

These topics always result in strong opinions.

While I am well acquainted with both revolvers and pistols, years ago I made a decision to devote to the revolver for CCW.
    That was an informed decision and not one I arrived at quickly. However, had I approached that decision just a few years later, I probably would have selected a pistol over the revolver. A big part of that decision was based on what was available at the time.

I'm not convinced that capacity is the predominant issue.
    You're welcome. As I mentioned in the video, I think the main considerations are the defensive shooter's preparation and mind set. The specific platform selected by the shooter and the number of rounds it contains are secondary matters.

Howard

Boolit Master
    1-1/4” barreled NAA 22 wmr in my front pocket at all times I’m awake.
    Not obsolete
    Life is so much better with dogs!

Yes, I hope many believe that and also that leverguns are also obsolete. I need to find more of both at bargain prices. Many writers and internet bloggers get attention by saying controversial and stupid things.

Boolit Master
    Back in the '70s I owned a Super Blackhawk. I hunted and shot silhouette with it and became enamored of the .44 bore (blame Elmer, Skeeter et al), and when I decided I needed a more portable option, I obtained a 3" Charter Bulldog. Then when I became a poor struggling rookie law dog, as opposed to an old retired struggling law dog, I was so impressed with the Charter's accuracy that when it came time for me to supply my own service pistol, I bought a 4" Target Bulldog and carried it until I could save up for a used M29. Once I had acquired the 29, the Target Bulldog became sort of superfluous and is one of the few safe queens I'll tolerate. I had a chance to buy a pair of Lew Horton 3" 624s when they first came out but that 'struggling' factor and an evil penny-pinching SWMBO Mk I curtailed that ambition. Anyway since I hardly use the Target Bulldog and have no emotional attachment to it, I have been thinking about trading it off for another 3" model and getting a left-hand holster so I can tote two matched ones. But back to the OP's question, NO I do not think snubbies have lost any of their utility and would not be caught without at least one.
    Ed <><

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    Safest most reliable style of guns ever made. I will always have mine at the ready!

If you don't want them, I will gladly pay the shipping to my house!

banger

My own on-again-off-again EDC

Maybe not q-u-i-t-e a Snubby proper, but it's a pretty short Barrel.

I've never felt like it would have too few rounds to satisfy.

Hosted on Fotki

Super Moderator

I have several snubbies, 2" and 3" S&W Model 10's. I've been trusting my life with them since the mid 1970's. They'll be around for a LONG time.

Boolit Master
    Obsolete? Sure. I guess that's why most of the major and some of the smaller handgun manufacturers keep introducing new snubby revolvers. Including one that never made a revolver before and another that swore off making DA revolvers years ago, but is now introducing multiple new DA revolvers.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast