Snyders JerkyLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Repackbox
Inline Fabrication Wideners
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Nikon “lifetime” scope warranty has fizzled

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar

Nikon “lifetime” scope warranty has fizzled

Well, I bought a Prostaff 5 2.5x10 bdc scope brand new from optics planet a month or so before Nikon announced they were discontinuing sell scopes. I love my Nikons and figured they would just repair my dozen and a half Nikons I’ve purchased over the years if they ever failed. As Murphy’s Law would take affect I have had that pro staff 5 2.5x10 scope sitting on a gun and collecting dust. I’ve had to the range twice and shot Less than 20 to 40 rounds through and it failed. It was shooting a foot left at one yards and four inches high with the very next shot after zeroing it in. I took it back to 50 yards and the next shot was 7” right! I adjusted it 16 clicks left and my bullet hit on the same hole as the first. I adjusted it 16 more to the left and I was completely off the 2.5’ square paper target. I pulled the optic off, called Nikon and they told me to send it in with my original receipt. I sent it Usps so I could track it. They have had it for about a month now. I received an email that it was on the bench over a week ago and today I get an email saying it’s not repairable because it wasn’t an “economic” repair for them so Nikon emailed a voucher to use on their website for $229 which they felt was a suggested retail price. First of all I sent my receipt showing I paid $273 and some change for it a little over a year ago. Second, why would I want a voucher to use on their website when I need a scope and they don’t sell them anymore. I don’t want a range finder, a camera, or camera lens! I called Nikon support a few minutes ago and was as polite as i could be and explained I wanted my optic repaired, replaced (could even replace it with a similar magnification optic), or refund my purchase. I can’t believe after selling optics for decades they don’t carry enough parts in stock for repairs...after stop selling scopes for only a year or so. What scares me is I have a good dozen and a half other Nikon Monarchs and Pros staffs and will have to go through this again in and when they fail. I’m sure I don’t have receipts for all of them as well. I still have brand new Nikon scopes in boxes I haven’t used yet. I might remove all the Nikons after hunting season and eBay all of them. I will use the proceeds to buy Leupold or Vortex replacements.
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 11-03-2020 at 08:56 PM.

Boolit Master
    Great, I have several of the Buckmasters 6x18s on my prairie dog rifles and this spring I noticed one must have got bumped pretty good and the entire windage turret seemed to be knocked loose. Hadn't got around to sending it in, guess I don't have to worry about that now.
    Take a kid to the range, you'll both be glad you did.

Boolit Master

Stinks that they aren't going to pony up. This almost sounds like a class action law suit waiting to happen. I have three of the Prostaff's. On the other side don't rule out Burris scopes and Bushnell's are offering a lifetime warranty now too. Hawk's are good scopes also lifetime. https://www.hawkeoptics.com/ I have all 4 Nikon included.

I forgot to add that when I told them if they refunded my money I would buy another NIB Nikon scope...or if I could find another Nikon pro staff 5 2.5x10 optic thats still new in the box for sale on a retail site if they would purchase it for me or send a refund for the exact amount for a replacement. The Nikon rep told me if I purchased any new Nikon scope currently, that a few retailers still have in stock, they will only give a seven-year warranty although it states on the box “lifetime warranty”. I found a few of my same scope for sale abs in stock at academy and Amazon. I sent them the links. I have no expectation for them to purchase one from a retailer to replace mine but figured I’d give them a heads up that there are plenty of their products still available that they can’t service. I’m probably better off to take my money and run if they offer it. It if end up with a replacement optic and it fails I’ll be in the same boat all over again. I have a feeling the unadvertised, restructured new “7 year” lifetime warranty will probably disappear soon as well.
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 11-04-2020 at 10:16 AM.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    I have a Buckmasters 4-12x40 on my .257 and have been on the fence about selling it while it is still fairly new and has some value. Guess I got my answer...
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Master

What a shame - two of my favorite scopes wear the Nikon name, from what I’ve read their sporting optics line was a long term money loser, produce a great product and sell it at attractive prices and warranty it for life and not make a nickel? Sounds like another company that’s played the shell
    game with their finances think Remington. Sorry to hear about your troubles- sending a scope in from a major brand should be as easy as it gets! If all you get is the 229 or whatever they offered I’d wholeheartedly endorse Vortex .

Boolit Grand Master
    I have a Nikon scope that lost it's zero and have not bothered getting it repaired. I did not realize I would need to provide a receipt so looks like I am out of luck anyway.

It is sad to see a company screw it's customers. There is a lot of sale pricing on their scopes so informed people should consider that when contemplating a purchase. I was tempted to get one but figured Nikon would do just what has been reported here.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master
    I sent in a omega scope for repair without the recipe ( the adjustments wouldn't move the point of aim ) Nikon gave me a 350. Online store credit . That's not what I wanted to happen because I liked the scope and wanted it fixed but the wife is getting a new camera although I'll have to pay the difference . I'll still need a scope !!!!!!

Boolit Master
    Has anyone actually read the warranty? Does it say what will happen if you need a replacement? Does it say you will get cash back and how is that value determined?

I understand a bit of frustration that you cannot get a replacement, BUT, this is an issue with ANY mfg. If Weaver had a lifetime warranty, then yep, you are out of luck these days. Vortex may go out of business next month. If so I am out if I have a problem with my scopes. Place your money, take your chances.

Heck, at least you are getting store credit. I give Nikon a huge thumbs up for this one.

My warranty papers got sent with the scope. It’s specifically states lifetime repair or replacement warranty. No cash value or credit back. If I get stuck with it I’ll just end up buying something with the credit that I can throw on eBay and try and get some of my money back to buy a scope with. Too bad they’re not even willing to credit me what I paid for it on the original sales receipt from optics planet that I sent in with the scope. Maybe somebody here will trade me my credit for a scope?

On the phone with Nikon as I type. I was told Nikon stopped servicing all Nikon riflescopes and have gotten rid of all their scope parts and scope inventory in March of this year. So basically when I was told to send in my scope for repair or replacement a month ago they had zero intentions of repairing or replacing it. Their process was apparently to verify it failed so they could offer my a credit voucher. If they would have told me this I would have never sent it in. So no answers yet from Nikon yet. The representative said no guarantees but Nikon will probably refund me. Nikon also magically lost my sales receipt I sent in with the box. I was told if I could call optics planet to have them re print my receipt that Nikon lost when trying to repair my optic.

Boolit Master
    ive given up on warranties many years ago, most of em are not worth the paper they are printed on. leupold, vortex are rare exceptions. I had one of those prostaffs I got at a Walmart for 79.99 when they were clearing them out and never felt it was quite right on my 300BO build and gave it to my best friends son when he was getting into shooting sports.

Boolit Master
    I'm sorry to read about this. I have several Nikon Monarch scopes. They have excellent image quality and accurate adjustments. I like them a lot, but I harbor no delusions that they'll last forever. Nothing does. I'm saddened to think that when they finally fail they'll be difficult or impossible to repair.

On the other hand - it's quite likely they'll all last longer than I will.

Colonel Cooper said ALL scopes will fail eventually and I suspect he was right. I certainly wouldn't embark on a dream hunt in Alaska or Africa with a thirty-year-old scope on my rifle - no matter what brand. If a scope fails at a critical moment the best warranty in the world won't get you back that lost opportunity for a trophy.

I don't put much faith in warranties because things change, companies merge, go out of business, or just unilaterally change the terms of their warranty. Look at how many of the biggest fortune 500 companies from 50 years ago are gone today. Need parts, service, warranty repair? Good luck.

Try getting a warranty repair under the lifetime warranty on your 1975 Redfield scope. Had any luck lately getting your 1970 Bausch & Lomb scope repaired by the manufacturer? Do you have a good warranty on your Stith, or your Noske?

I've bought scores of rifle scopes in the last 50 years. They range from high-end Leupold and Nikon scopes, through mid-range scopes from companies like Burris or Weaver, all the way down to some $29 box store abominations. Every one of what I call the "undersea" scopes has failed. There were a half-dozen of them or more. Undersea? That's as in "Cost less than a C-note." Out of more than 20 better quality scopes two have failed so far. One an old Redfield that fogged internally, and one a Leupold Vari-X III that goes out of focus as you rotate the power ring.

Both of those scopes served well for many years before they failed. The Redfield endured perhaps 15 years of hard hunting, the Leupold over 20 years. By comparison, some of the cheapest scopes failed almost immediately. Few lasted more than a couple of years. In scopes, like in so many other things, you pretty much really do get what you pay for.

Leupold's warranty is gold right now but I promise you even that will change some day. Nothing lasts forever. I'll still buy Leupold scopes - not just because of the warranty but because I think their scopes are high quality and an excellent value.

Choose wisely when buying a scope. Make your choices based on quality and price. I wouldn't give too much weight to warranty promises in making my decision. As always, YMMV.

Uncle R.

Sounds like you just have to play the game of reducing losses. Get your receipt reprinted if you did not make a copy, send it in, and look for a full refund. I would try getting Optics Planet involved in the refund, maybe VISA as well—long shot, I know--if you paid with a visa.

I read about Nikon getting out of the scope business sometime back. My sentiments fall in line with most here about it. I purchased it new a little over 10-11 years ago. It's seen little use on a Stevens 200 in 308. I'd put the Nikon 3X9 on the Stevens 200 as a an inexpensive backup rifle for deer season. For me, that leaves me feeling pretty good about having a couple of older Tasco scopes made in Japan. So, looks like if I put together another inexpensive Rifle/Scope package the rifle will get one of my older Tasco scopes, or a lower end Leupold.

Murphy
    If I should depart this life while defending those who cannot defend themselves, then I have died the most honorable of deaths. Marc R. Murphy '2006'.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    We have the Vortex Diamondback 4-12x40 at my side job shop for $180.00 less my discount. For my needs and budget, I think that one is going to get the nod to replace my Buckmasters.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by charlie b View Post
    Has anyone actually read the warranty? Does it say what will happen if you need a replacement? Does it say you will get cash back and how is that value determined?

I understand a bit of frustration that you cannot get a replacement, BUT, this is an issue with ANY mfg. If Weaver had a lifetime warranty, then yep, you are out of luck these days. Vortex may go out of business next month. If so I am out if I have a problem with my scopes. Place your money, take your chances.

Heck, at least you are getting store credit. I give Nikon a huge thumbs up for this one.
    Agree a hundred percent , they did there best to do right by me .

If they end up refunding me I will give Nikon a benefit of the doubt and be buying another Nikon to replace it. I do love my Nikon’s and have faith in the dozen or so i currently own and all have held up and have been working fine. I found a refurbished 2.5x10 monarch for $223.00. I own a few of these I paid $400 for and would trust my life on. I have several Monarch optics that are close to 20 years old and never had one fail. At the amount of money Nikon talked about reimbursing me I would have pay twice the money for another brand and don’t have extra in my budget to do so. I will roll the dice will end up buying a 90 day warranty refurbished optic and end up tossing it if, and when, it fails. I did find more of the same 2.5x10 pro staff 5 optic I currently have that are brand new for about $20/$30 more then Nikon is considering reimbursing me but I an paranoid to buy a new replacement of the same optic since mine failed. I have several of the PS 5 3.5x14 and Nikon Monarch 2.5x10’s and they have been bullet proof. The 2.5x10 PS 5 that failed is the first one I bought and tried. The pro staff “5”, 5 3.5 x14’s thst o own are an earlier generation from the 2.5x10 and I believe they aren’t manufactured the same. From what I’ve read the refurbished Nikons for sale aren’t repairs. They are mainly open box optics that were never mounted or used. Haven’t heard back from Nikon yet so I’m just looking around for 2.5x10 replacement scope options while I wait to hear what they can or can’t do for me. The Nikon representative told me Friday that they have been refunding customers pretty regularly for defective scopes if one fails and the person does not want a credit voucher. I was told no guarantees but that it was the probably going to happen instead of offering another style or magnification riflescope since they current have zero scopes left in their inventory or repair parts. So FYI Nikon scope owners, if anyone sends a defective scope in for repair all Nikon will be doing is verifying it’s defective and offering a credit voucher. It is what it is, but I still love all my Nikon scopes that work properly.
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 11-08-2020 at 11:02 AM.

Boolit Master
    It's a shame Nikon made clear scopes at a decent price .

My cheap Pro staffs are clearer and brighter than my $1600 Leupold Mark 4.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast