Load DataRotoMetals2Inline FabricationSnyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingLee Precision
Repackbox Wideners

Thread: Winchester Wikdcat .22lr

Winchester Wikdcat .22lr

Looking at the Wildcat for a rifle to play in Rimfire challenge. Who has one and what has been your experience?

Take Care

Bob
    Its been months since I bought the book, "How to scam people online". It still has not arrived yet!

"If the human population held hands around the equator, a significant portion of them would drown"

I have not shot one and don’t know anyone who has. From reading about them I can safely say they aren’t target guns. The construction and design of them points to plinker. I wouldn’t know what to recommend in a auto 22 these days. They are all about the same, disappointing.

Quote Originally Posted by Drm50 View Post
    I have not shot one and don’t know anyone who has. From reading about them I can safely say they aren’t target guns. The construction and design of them points to plinker. I wouldn’t know what to recommend in a auto 22 these days. They are all about the same, disappointing.
    Rimfire steel competitions are shot with the autos. The test is reliability and accuracy. They don't have to be Olympic Free rifle accuracy type guns but with a scope I would assume within 1" at 50 yards or less.

Take Care

Bob
    Its been months since I bought the book, "How to scam people online". It still has not arrived yet!

"If the human population held hands around the equator, a significant portion of them would drown"

Boolit Buddy
    Look at Ruger 10-22s

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by recumbent View Post
    Look at Ruger 10-22s
    This, or a Thompson T/C R22 (improved 10/22 clone)

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    We've sold a few Wildcats at my side job shop. Neat design, but I can't stand the dainty, almost child size stock with an empty spot in the middle.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Based on my experience with a total of one- the Remington 597 that I passed down to my son years ago is very reliable, has a good trigger, and yesterday I put two 10 round magazines worth of Mini- Mags into one ragged hole at 40 yards. The last time I had fired that gun was on a prairie dog hunt in 2008 and took several at just over 100 yards. It’s not pretty until you pull the trigger.

Quote Originally Posted by Warhawk View Post
    This, or a Thompson T/C R22 (improved 10/22 clone)
    The T/C is of interest but the reviews suggest QC leaves a lot to be desired. The 10/22 is probably where I will end up. From the reviews it seem to be a money pit waiting to happen with all the after market items available. I am hoping to hear more from actual owners of the Wildcat. The reviews are quite mixed. I was hoping to be able to buy the gun, and be able to go play without having to spend more on after market stuff to make it run "better". Something out of the box that was reliable and decent for competition. I may just end up saying to heck with it and buy a Marlin 60 for gopher hunting and call it good.

Take Care

Bob

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by robertbank View Post
    The T/C is of interest but the reviews suggest QC leaves a lot to be desired. The 10/22 is probably where I will end up. From the reviews it seem to be a money pit waiting to happen with all the after market items available. I am hoping to hear more from actual owners of the Wildcat. The reviews are quite mixed. I was hoping to be able to buy the gun, and be able to go play without having to spend more on after market stuff to make it run "better". Something out of the box that was reliable and decent for competition. I may just end up saying to heck with it and buy a Marlin 60 for gopher hunting and call it good.

Take Care

Bob
    I have 3 Marlin 60's and you will not be disappointed.

Sigep2764 What do you think of the polymer stock versions? The 60 has been arouind for ever. I like the tube versions.

Take Care

Bob

Boolit Master
    The "Winchester" wildcat is made in turkey.

go here, click on the button to full screen the pic,
    drag/zoom over to seen the right side of the barrel just in front of the stock.
    Says made in turkey.

https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/winc...-rimfire-rifle

Quote Originally Posted by edp2k View Post
    The "Winchester" wildcat is made in turkey.

go here, click on the button to full screen the pic,
    drag/zoom over to seen the right side of the barrel just in front of the stock.
    Says made in turkey.

https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/winc...-rimfire-rifle
    They have been making guns since Marco Polo brought gunpowder back from China. They do make some very high end firearms. I would have no hesitation on buying one if that was the only concern.

Take Care

Bob

Boolit Master
    Sigep2764 What do you think of the polymer stock versions? The 60 has been arouind for ever. I like the tube versions.

Take Care

Bob
    Haven't had one with a plastic stock, but I've been staring at one available on the local Armslist. Mine are all wood stocked. Id really like to have the stainless with laminated stock.

Boolit Master
    They have been making guns since Marco Polo brought gunpowder back from China. They do make some very high end firearms. I would have no hesitation on buying one if that was the only concern. Bob
    I am glad you like turkish guns.
    They make some good guns and some not-so-good guns, and quality, long term support, and parts are always a question with many foreign made guns.

When people see the Winchester name they automatically think the gun is made in USA, however that is definitely not the case here;
    its made in turkey.
    I am absolutely positive that many on this board prefer a US made gun and it is curious that the Winchecter website and all previous discussion here
    did not mention that it was made in turkey.

Personally I prefer full disclosure.

Quote Originally Posted by edp2k View Post
    I am glad you like turkish guns.
    They make some good guns and some not-so-good guns, and quality, long term support, and parts are always a question with many foreign made guns.

When people see the Winchester name they automatically think the gun is made in USA, however that is definitely not the case here;
    its made in turkey.
    I am absolutely positive that many on this board prefer a US made gun and it is curious that the Winchecter website and all previous discussion here
    did not mention that it was made in turkey.

Personally I prefer full disclosure.
    No I don't like Turkish guns, I just don't dislike them because they are Turkish. I like Browning guns made in Belgium, Portugal and Japan. How many American gunowners go to bed thinking all Browning shotguns and the P35 Hi-Power were made in the US to your point about full discloser? I like Winchester guns made in Japan and the US. I really like Ruger guns made in the US. I would however not put Ruger or S&W up there with Steller reputations for quality control. Both of their business models appear to be if it doesn't work. send it back and we will fix it. The gun designs like, Dillon reloading equipment and RCBS presses appear to me to be built to last several lifetimes.

Take Care

Bob

My advice would to be buy a high condition Ruger Std 10/22 from 1985 or before. Many are slick enough right out of the box, if not they are easy to slick up without buying additional parts. I say standard because it’s cheapest. It does have barrel band but if you’re going aftermarket stock will be first to go. Ruger had its bean counters too. I wouldn’t buy a new 10/22, they have been reduced to run of the mill in my book. Talking about St models not target jobs.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    Around here, the T/C version is usually $75-100.00 more than an equivalent 10/22. The only "extras" it has are a cheap red dot and soft sided case, and because it's not a real 10/22 resale value is probably not good. Unless you really like it for some reason I would pass.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

I am moving more and more to the Marlin 60. I an getting to old to chase the after market shelves for a few parts to make the gun run. That would mean I would pass on rimfire rifle unless you can get speed leaders for a tube feed rifle. I will see what I can find in a stainless model 60 with a polymer stock. I live up here in a rain forest and the name of the area is spot on. RAAAAIIIIMMMM every friggin day.

Take Care

Bob
    Last edited by robertbank; 11-06-2020 at 08:37 PM.

Mine is a very good shooter. I read somewhere that TOZ just took their bull target grade barrels and turned them down to sporter profile. Only thing I dont really care for is the plastic mags but they work well, especially for $120 new.