RepackboxSnyders JerkyInline FabricationReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2WidenersTitan Reloading
Lee Precision Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lee pistol factory crimp die

Boolit Master

Lee pistol factory crimp die

I am considering getting the lee pistol factory crimp dies for all of the semi-auto pistols i shoot.
    Can anyone that uses those dies for the 9mm Para. and the 45ACP. Let me know what the die reduces the case dia. down to. Thank you in advance Kevin

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by kbstenberg View Post
    I am considering getting the lee pistol factory crimp dies for all of the semi-auto pistols i shoot.
    Can anyone that uses those dies for the 9mm Para. and the 45ACP. Let me know what the die reduces the case dia. down to. Thank you in advance Kevin
    Those dies are adjustable so that determines the amount of the crimp.
    "If everyone is thinking the same thing it means someone is not thinking"

"A rat became the unit of currency"

Cosmic Charlie is correct. The knob on the top of the die is used to adjust the amount of crimp from nearly nothing to way too much.

Boolit Buddy
    Why not taper crimp?

Boolit Master
    The LFCD for auto pistols that I have taper crimp , the OD of the top 1/3 of the case is the same as factory loaded ammunition in 9mm and 45 acp. If I remember when I measured I was comparing to Federal ball factory loads.

Vendor Sponsor

OP is obviously asking about the carbide ring FCD which has no adjustment it's just a carbide collar that slides down over the outside of the case and swages it into a uniform "factory looking" round.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Master
    Doug Guy Bingo! I was just wondering what the case measures after going through the die. The crimp style is not important

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by kbstenberg View Post
    Doug Guy Bingo! I was just wondering what the case measures after going through the die. The crimp style is not important
    Afaik, those carbide rings are not all created equal, there are reports of some of them swaging down the boolit in the case (which most will do) and others do not have this issue. Generally speaking if you are loading a .451" boolit the FCD won't do much, but if you load a .452" it is very likely to swage down your loaded boolit to less than the .452" it was when you loaded it.

I do not support these FCD because once you use them, you lose much of your case neck tension and this is critical especially in an autoloader. Once you have created a round that the boolit fits rather loosely in the case, which it will, because brass has springback, then you run the risk of boolit setback when the slide rams it into the feed ramp as it loads it from the magazine.

A 9mm round, loaded to the 35kpsi max, with as little as .010" of setback can see pressures go through the roof. You could very easily have a KB because of setback, it happens.

The correct thing to do is use a taper crimp, and also if your barrel doesn't have enough freebore to load to published load data, have the barrel throated, seating deeper and then compensating powder weight is a poor workaround for the root cause, the lack of sufficient diameter freebore in the barrel throat.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Grand Master

While I cannot confirm this, I've read the carbide ring sizes the case down to SAAMI specs. (minimum?)...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

I'm going to be the contrarian here. I really like the Lee FCDs, and actually use them on every caliber/cartridge that I have that they make them for. I've even had a couple custom made (like .43 Spanish) for a very reasonable $23. Any crimping die, be it roll, taper, or FCD can be improperly adjusted and give poor results. Lee includes an instruction sheet with every FCD, and if exactly followed the results will be more than satisfactory. The carbide ring version guarantees that if the loaded round is run in and out of the FCD it will fit into a standard chamber. Very important to high volume shooters-- not me so much-- but I still like that assurance. I have loaded .45 ACP with purchased cast bullets, found them to be a bit oversized as they did seem to swage down a bit in the FCD, but then functioned fine in a 1911. On the other hand, I've taper crimped .45 ACPs and had the slide fail to go completely into battery (closed) as the bullet was a bit oversized and wouldn't enter the chamber completely. I've never experienced any neck tension problems, be it pistol or rifle cartridges, and the bullets are held very firmly into the case. A way to gauge this would be with a hammer-type inertia bullet puller--how many whacks will it take to remove a properly crimped bullet. It's been my experience that it requires about the same effort as to remove a factory loaded bullet.
    Viva el FCD!

DG

Boolit Grand Master

I really don't care/mind what tools other reloaders use, and my thinking, for me, and no offense to anyone, using an FCD for handguns (with the post crimping sizing feature) is the "If it don't fit, get a bigger hammer" type thinking. My only real "concern" is many new reloaders visit reloading forums and many tend to believe what they read. So, reading about a band-aid short cut is actually detrimental to their reloading education...

Again, I mean no offense, just sharing my experience/opinions from many years of reloading...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Master
    It swages bullets in my experience, you can even count the lube grooves as it runs over them. The brass wall thickness matters too. They do make a good case sizer though.

Boolit Master
    Look at the poll on the LFCD a lot of people use it , if you want factory finished dimensions it's great if you want oversize it's the wrong choice. It will make ammo that will feed in most any pistol if the barrel/mag will accept the ogive of the bullet you choose , it will also insure all the case bell is removed when loading random range brass that may vary in length. They are a tool to simplify the process and certainly may not be what you want for a particular gun. But are great for those of us that shoot for defensive practice and fun with a large variety of guns.
    They do have and adjustable crimp in the carbide crimp die , roll in revolver dies and taper in auto die.

Boolit Master
    I use the FCD in auto pistol rounds. With MY dies the FCD does not swage the boolet undersize. (pulled rounds with FCD and without and measured)
    I think some of the dissension comes from people thinking the FCD carbide ring swages down like the carbide sizing die. As I read the Lee site, the FCD is a thou or two bigger than a normal case sizer.
    Just bumps down to "normal" chamber size.
    My auto rounds HAVE to function, the Lee FCD gives me confidence that they will.
    Myself and others see no difference in accuracy, just a warm fuzzy that the ammo shoots.
    No load, factory or hand, has beaten my load of a H&G 68 in my S&W 625 for accuracy, ALL my 45ACP goes through the FCD.
    The Smith rules; 4 different 1911's are happy.
    Cogno, Ergo, Boom

If you're gonna be stupid, don't pull up short. Saddle up and ride it all the way in.

Boolit Master
    Most of my Fcd ring don’t even touch the brass. On some 9 mm with oversized bullets and certain thick brass they will. Also some of my 38 special with bullets .359 to .360 will also. My Bretta 92 and my star 9 mm like .358 to .359 bullets.yes certain brass will size down with the carbide ring of the fcd so I just use the carbide ring to just touch the case mouth to take out the bell when I flared it. I only size .020 of the case mouth with the lee fcd that I want oversized bullets with thick brass.Then I put my bullet seater die back in and unscrew the seating stem and use just the crimping part of that die. On my beretta 32 acp I use the fcd on all my ammo because it has a tight chamber and likes .311 bullets. Some brass it sizes the bullet down but they usally won’t chamber with out it any way. That’s how I use my fcd and it works for me

Boolit Master
    Sounds like quality control is lacking. I measured the boolet, loaded, pulled and measured again...bingo 2 thou smaller, and that's with thin brass. And not YMMV but YMDOesV

Boolit Master
    You can actually feel the fcd sizing your brass and bullets down or not. If it does size it down and you don’t want it to just use your bullet seating die for the crimp. If your rounds won’t chamber because there to big pull the bullet and use a smaller diameter bullet and reload or run them through the fcd so they will chamber. The brass you can sort out later if they do size down so you won’t have under sized bullets . If you don’t want to sort some of the thick brass out use the fcd on all of them at least the thick brass will chamber and you don’t have to pull bullets to reload if they won’t chamber.

Boolit Buddy
    The Lee FCD will size to SAAMI diameter so your loads will chamber in SAAMI chambers.

If your gun has chambers larger than SAAMI and you are casting bullets oversized then the FCD will not work for you. Enlarged chambers allow easier chambering of rounds and thus better reliability.

Revolvers often have enlarged cylinders for speed of loading. Reloaders learned to over size soft lead bullets to reduce leading. Hard cast, high BHN bullets, do not lead like wheel weight bullets. Powder Coated Bullets do not lead. FMJ's are never oversized.

So if you are shooting FMJ, plated, coated boolits sized to SAAMI a FCD will make them chamber as if you ran them thru a case gauge.

If your gun likes cartridges that do not pass a case gauge then do not use a FCD.

It is that simple.

Boolit Master
    I recently purchase two Lee 4 die carbide sets, one for .38 and one for .44. They both come with a factory crimp die. And they both are adjustable. They remove the case flare and roll crimp the round. They do not size the entire case.
    https://www.midwayusa.com/product/101119737

Perhaps this sizing of the case to saami spec is only on cases that head space on the case mouth?
    Last edited by Cosmic_Charlie; 11-03-2020 at 03:34 AM.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mdi View Post
    Charlie, do the dies you have come with a carbide ring in the mouth of the die? If they do, just like the FCD I had for 44 Magnum, they will size the cartridge to what Lee believes they should be. I have 5, 44 Magnums and never had a problem with any rounds chambering, not even my Puma handloads with .433" bullets in mixed brass. But the FCD I used out of curiosity did size my perfectly size cast bullets down .002"-.0035".
    Yes, they have the carbide ring. I can feel the dies removing the flare as the cartridge enters the die and then at the top of the ram stroke a slight resistance during the roll crimp. There would be no need to size these rimmed cases again.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast