WidenersReloading EverythingRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingLoad Data
Inline Fabrication Repackbox
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: rural internet?

Boolit Grand Master

rural internet?

After about the nine bazillionth time (it seems that way anyway) of losing internet service after it rains, I am seriously looking for something different. Any suggestions?

I currently sort of have Centurylink, which is a leftover from the telephone company. Old twisted pair wiring at least on my side of the box across the road and down to the nice new(ish) supposedly weather tight box at the corner. Funny thing is when ever we have a big rain or even snow storm the internet goes out, sometimes taking the router with it.

That is what happened this time, along with the wait of a week for the router to get to me. One day of internet, then service is out again.

When I called today, the next available time for a tech to come argue on the phone with the home office (this has happened many times before) is the 9th of November.

Like I said, I am looking for something other than Centurylink.

I am located in western Missouri, if that helps.

Thanks for the chance to vent, and thanks for any suggestions,

Robert

If Centurylink there is anything like they are here----
    you're kicking a dead horse if you think you'll EVER get decent service from them.

They think they're the govt. or something and you have no other options except them.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Starlink is supposed to be going live soon

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Banned
    Your options may be limited.
    Whatever the physical infrastructure is (copper, fiber optic, coax, etc. ) you will likely be stuck with that for land based service.

The older satellite systems (like Hughes Net) will give you another option but they are seldom as fast as the land based systems and can be rather expensive. In some rural locations, that may be the only option.
    I can't speak to Starlink.

There are a few remote rural communities that have some form of wireless broadband, but those seem to be on the decline.
    Due to the madness surrounding COVID, some localities have purchased temporary, towable internet sites. The key word there is temporary.

You may already have the best option available.

I don't know what your cell service options are...

We recently moved to a more rural location. Our previous home had cable internet. It was expensive, but fart and reliable.

When we moved to our current location, our options were limited. Some DSL, phone company is about the only option.

Rather than take the plunge, we have been using our phones as hotspots. We have unlimited data through Verizon. Granted, after a certain amount of usage as a hotspot, the speed slows. However, it is still far enough to stream video, etc. Stuff just takes a bit longer to load.

Depending on your cell service, that may be an option.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

I use Via Sat, which originally was known as Excel. You have a pipe pole with a satellite dish on it, much like Dish Network TV. I've found it to be highly reliable except during snow storms when I have to go outside and brush the snow off the dish. I used to have Century Link until I moved where it wasn't available, and would never go back. Via Sat is about 5 times faster. Another satellite computer service some around here use and seem to be happy with is Hughes.

Boolit Master
    my phone company, frontier, just recently went belly up. the internet service they provided was the same cost as hughsnet or via sat and trying to send just an email though the system they have was problematic. supposedly there are two new competitors to Hughes and viasat coming online soon and competition has to be a good thing in this space.

Moderator Emeritus

Two wireless providers in our valley use radio transmission.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Same problem here in rural Central NYS with Frontier. Freeze ups and slow speed and if my wife is watching Netflix my internet is frozen. Had satellite ( Hughes net) way back when, bit expensive and very weather dependent. The last couple Farm Bills had $$ for rural internet but there is not a lot of interest in serving sparsely populated areas. Do not have an answer.

Boolit Master
    isn't it amazing how all that $$$ for rural internet got spend and we still don't have what was promised when the discussed the big plan getting those funds appropriated. just another one of those reasons why I have no trust or faith in ANY politicians, red, blue, purple, white , black, brown, yellow none of em.

Boolit Master
    We can hope that Starlink goes live soon. Beta testing right now. Like Elon or not, I would cheer for Starlink.

Tim
    Words are weapons sharper than knives - INXS

The pen is mightier than the sword - Edward Bulwer-Lytton

The tongue is mightier than the blade - Euripides

Quote Originally Posted by Shawlerbrook View Post
    Same problem here in rural Central NYS with Frontier. Freeze ups and slow speed and if my wife is watching Netflix my internet is frozen. Had satellite ( Hughes net) way back when, bit expensive and very weather dependent. The last couple Farm Bills had $$ for rural internet but there is not a lot of interest in serving sparsely populated areas. Do not have an answer.
    That is the reason the least amount of government is best.
    The fewer things they have their fingers in, the fewer things get screwed up.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by elmacgyver0 View Post
    That is the reason the least amount of government is best.
    The fewer things they have their fingers in, the fewer things get screwed up.
    /\ Absolutely Correct /\

And well stated.

Boolit Master
    We had ATT DSL wire, now ATT offered (fixed wireless) which is an antenna attached to the outside of your house and is aimed at a cell tower closest to you. Ours is 4 miles to tower, have good broadband speed like from 10-30 GB, but when a lot of customers hook up this speed slows down to like 1.5gb.

We can also hook up with hotspot on cell phone, when speed drops off, and wait till can get back up on wireless.
    But you got to watch your data usage.

The local rural electric co. Is working on grant money to get fiber piped to all their customers, about 2-5 years out.

I’m just glad we don’t get as much government as we pay for.

Boolit Master
    People have been saying good things about using T-mobile’s wireless home internet. Apparently when you go to their website to prequalify you first have to put in 999-999-9999 for your phone number, then on the next screen your real number. I don’t know why.

There is no economical way to provide broadband to rural america. Starlink is doing everything it can to get government money. They recently launched service for a TX school district serving 45 student homes at a cost of about $500 per home per month. The government and some local charity is picking up the tab for a year.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JimB.. View Post
    People have been saying good things about using T-mobile’s wireless home internet. Apparently when you go to their website to prequalify you first have to put in 999-999-9999 for your phone number, then on the next screen your real number. I don’t know why.

There is no economical way to provide broadband to rural america. Starlink is doing everything it can to get government money. They recently launched service for a TX school district serving 45 student homes at a cost of about $500 per home per month. The government and some local charity is picking up the tab for a year.
    Starlink's price point is supposed to be $99 per month.

https://news.yahoo.com/spacex-starli...045831110.html

Tim
    Words are weapons sharper than knives - INXS

The pen is mightier than the sword - Edward Bulwer-Lytton

The tongue is mightier than the blade - Euripides

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by pcolapaddler View Post
    I don't know what your cell service options are...

We recently moved to a more rural location. Our previous home had cable internet. It was expensive, but fart and reliable.

When we moved to our current location, our options were limited. Some DSL, phone company is about the only option.

Rather than take the plunge, we have been using our phones as hotspots. We have unlimited data through Verizon. Granted, after a certain amount of usage as a hotspot, the speed slows. However, it is still far enough to stream video, etc. Stuff just takes a bit longer to load.

Depending on your cell service, that may be an option.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk
    I did this before Frontier would admit they had service out to my place. I put up my own 42' cel. Tower and weboost amplifier. My speeds were actually better than Frontier. Careful with Verizon in that after 15 gig you are severely cut back till your new billing cycle. Yea, Frontier sucks and is in bankruptcy.

Boolit Master

Look into satellite or Hotspot. Hot spots are mobile devices that use the 4g and 5g to connect you to the net.

So if your Cellphone data works great call the cell provider and see what your options may be.

Like right now I am traveling. So activated international data and add Hotspot to my phone. I have service where I am right now so I can plug my phone into any computer or even a Playstation and my phone will turn into a modem.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."
    ~Theodore Roosevelt~

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dtknowles View Post
    Starlink's price point is supposed to be $99 per month.

https://news.yahoo.com/spacex-starli...045831110.html

Tim
    I’m aware. The business model doesn’t work at $99. They need other commercial applications (think package tracking, vehicle telemetry, etc), or government subsidies.

Federal subsidies for this stuff are complicated. They are currently working on 3 programs that I know of, the smallest is just a few hundred million a year, the biggest $16b and the middle $9b.

Quote Originally Posted by JimB.. View Post
    I’m aware. The business model doesn’t work at $99. They need other commercial applications (think package tracking, vehicle telemetry, etc), or government subsidies.

Federal subsidies for this stuff are complicated. They are currently working on 3 programs that I know of, the smallest is just a few hundred million a year, the biggest $16b and the middle $9b.
    Elon might be a bad at a lot of things, but his is amazing at finding ways to get money into his companies.

Also, at $100 a month, if he can keep the speeds up, I think the market for this is much bigger than expected. This thread is an example.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast