Load DataLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Wideners
Snyders JerkyRepackboxTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading Everything Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New way to operate press

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska

New way to operate press

I have a Rock Chucker for heavy duty work. Sometimes I take it to it’s limit, recently sizing down PCed boolits, that had a little too much powder and accumulated at the bases. My bench is pretty solid. It’s built on 3/8 x 1&3/4 inch angle iron. Besides being almost at the limit of my strength, the bench wants to start turning over. It would be nice if I could secure it to the floor, but it’s gravel. I dream of pouring a pad.

Anyway, the other day I discovered I could get a lot more power and stabilize the bench by standing up, turning around and putting my but against the bench, half sitting on it. (I have the handle on the right side while facing it). Standing up with my back to it, my right arm is in position for the handle and I can even use two hands/arms if needed. It makes a Big difference. Besides more force, the bench has less of a tendency to tip over.

Maybe this is not something new, but I just discovered it and it may be interesting for others.

Generally make my reloading bench heavy enough that once it's full of stuff you'll break the front 2"x10" board before it moves. Years ago I got by with one of the cheap "workbench" kits from menards. it was much more stable once a couple screws were added to secure it to the wall studs.

Boolit Master
    My bench has 3 pairs of industrial work bench legs and a 30" wide by 72" long top that is made of 1.5" thick particle board.
    I can use both hands on the handle of my Rockchucker. While standing I can lean on both arms while pushing down on the handle with all 225 lbs. I just let my body weight do the work so there is little effort from my arms. That method is good for heavy duty sizing and case forming.
    EDG

Quote Originally Posted by GregLaROCHE View Post
    It would be nice if I could secure it to the floor, but it’s gravel.
    Would it be practical to lag bolt the bench to the wall behind it?
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Perhaps a little Imperial sizing wax on a boolit every once in a while might make the task a little easier.
    Even a press as strong as that can be broken with enough leverage.

I ain't heard of that tip, thanks.

I'd spritz the bullets with Hornady 1 shot.

Boolit Master
    Yeah, if you are having to put all you weight on the handle to size a boolit there is something wrong. Dry boolits add a lot of drag. A bit of one of the sizing waxes would help a bunch and probably wouldn't hurt to have that bit of lube on the PC boolit when going down the bore either.

Boolit Buddy
    Some lube should dramatically reduce the effort needed to get them through the dies. I rub stick lube on the inside of a 2 quart bowl and swirl 2-300 boolits around for a few seconds. This adds just enough lube to make sizing a breeze. No sore arms and no broken equipment.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    Since the boolits were PCed, I don’t usually need the lube them. The half dozen out of sixty were hard because of the excess PC that accumulated at the bases. I some I didn’t even try to size. Next batch I’ll go back to adding some lube. Why make things any harder than they need to be? I also ordered a few more larger inserts for my NOE sizer, so I can go down more progressively.

Boolit Master

I have started using the Aqualube 5000 that the Hi-tek folks make. It reduces sizing effort a bunch.
    Remember the Law of Probability - The probability of being watched is directly proportional to the stupidity of your act.

Boolit Master
    Just how much are you sizing them bullets to? The most I need to size is 3 or 4 thousands, are powder coated using a Rockchucker and they glide through the Lee sizer die.

Boolit Master

I kinda go with the ideal of" if it's work to pull the handle something not right" and the bench needs to be fixed
    I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left.
    Paralyzed Veterans of America

Looking for a Hensly &Gibbs #258 any thing from a two cavity to a 10cavityI found a new one from a member here

Boolit Man
    I regularly use silicon spray lube(very lightly) on my cast boolits.

Boolit Buddy
    This comment may seem intuitive, but, it is often overlooked,,,
    I find my presses operate with much less force,, when I lubricate the press,,

In fact, I have had occasion to measure the difference between using Mobil 1 synthetic car engine lube,, and EEZOX.

The EEZOX far reduced friction, and effort compared to synthetic motor oil.

If I needed to do some heavy press work, I would lube the press with EEZOX before starting.
    Not only the main shaft, but the pivot points as well, friction is cumulative,, it just keeps on adding up,,

Boolit Master
    I give the rams on my presses a shot of Hornady One Shot or Case lube. Really slicks it up.

Banned
    I have several presses, and lubricate all of them from time to time. I also have a bench top made of 2x12's, and the bench itself is securely bolted to the wall. Maybe overkill, but everything works well and there is zero chance of the bench tipping.

If your using a Lee push through size die you may need to hone it with some 400 to 600 grit sandpaper to slick it up some inside. It may have tool marks inside.
    Always use a little lube.
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Boolit Master

Can't say I ever had any problem sizing bullets. It seemed a breeze to do, compared to sizing 7.62mm machine gun brass; and yes, I was using Imperial Sizing Wax.

As for the OP's bench not being heavy enough, he needs to load it w/ more presses, books, bullets, brass...

My bench will not move unless the house gets hit w/ at least 2-megatons.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bench2020B.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	95.0 KB 
ID:	271046
    Last edited by Kevin Rohrer; 11-08-2020 at 08:30 PM.
    Member: Orange Gunsite Family, NRA-Life, ARTCA, American Legion, & the South Cuyahoga Gun Club.

Caveat Emptor: Do not trust Cavery Grips/American Gripz/Prestige Grips/Stealth Grips from Clayton, NC. He will rip you off.

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    My top now is 1-1/8 " 9ply flooring plywood on sort of a desk/book case arrangement . I did have to really lean on the little Partner press a few times but I can't remember what it was for now , maybe some fat 06' I had to get down to a near match chambered 760 , I made some 7×57 from 270 a while back and though I leaned a little the RC handled it well .

I would tend to agree with the guys suggesting some slick em' .
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Boolit Bub
    Recently had an issue with oversized PC boolits fighting with my Lee sizer dies, used plain old water in a spray bottle, a light mist of water and they were zipping right through. Poored them onto a towel afterwards and rolled them around, dried off easy too.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast