Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2Load DataSnyders Jerky
Lee PrecisionRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Inline Fabrication Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: It all started with a $135 beater 1984 Winchester

Boolit Grand Master

It all started with a $135 beater 1984 Winchester

About 12 years ago, I bought a 94 .30/30 that was a bit rusted for $135. I had helped a widow sell off most of her husbands guns and no one wanted the rifle. I had no need for it, as I had a 336 and NIB 94, but she wanted it out of the house. I thought I would send it to JES to convert to .35/30. Sending it to JES, buying dies and a mold would have added $450 to my "bargain". I wondered it it would be smarter to buy the used .35 Rem. 336 the LGS had for $250? And it dawned on me...."What will either of the .35's do that the .30/30 cannot?" Will deer know the difference? The custom caliber did not do anything better than the .35 Rem or for that matter, the .308 deer rifle.

I started looking at the plethora of rifles and pistols I had accumulated and asked the same question. "What do I need them for?"

I ended up realizing I "needed" two rifle calibers a .22 CF and .30 Cal. The .22 was easy...I went with the .223/5.56. I had more .308's than other .30's, and went with it. Decided to keep the .30/30's as well but for other reasons.

I put about 20 guns on Gunbroker a few months later. Was astonished at the prices I got and sold them all. Did another batch later on with similar success. I wound up with well over $20k for guns I rarely used and did not need. Sold off the brass and bullets and netted more cash and more SPACE!!!

I waited for sales/promotions and invested in powder and primers to get a lifetime supply. Found a lady that likes to shoot, so got three more guns for her. Lastly, I wanted redundant weapons if the SHTF and added a few more. That led me to get a couple of cheap T/C rifles. I had funds left over and I have a few more guns left to sell!

I continue to be amazed at the accuracy of the modern factory rifle. I have never had a rifle that would not shoot well except for a .22 Hornet Handi-Rifle that went down the road many years ago. I must be lucky! The T/C Compass shoots better than the M70 HB...go figure.

Shedding my "useless" guns has made things simpler. I load 12, 20 and 28 ga; .223, .30/30 and .308; and 9mm, .38/.357, .40 and .45ACP using five powders. Promo, CleanShot, Unique, H4895 and Varget; and I could get by with three...Promo, Unique and Varget. I no longer need LP primers or Magnum LR primers.

I have not compromised too much. The bolt guns are MOA or better with jacketed bullet loads they like, and I have negligible desire to shoot cast in them. I no longer shoot a pistol well enough to notice a 1" group improvement at 25 yards. KISS has worked out for me. Enough toys to keep things interesting and a lifetime supply of components.

For you guys starting out, ignore everything you read in the gun magazines and most of what you read on the internet. Investing in learning how to shoot well, reload and cast is far more rewarding and useful than amassing a couple of safes of guns that you will rarely use. Not many need more than a .223 and .30 cal for 98% of their rifle shooting needs. And most of the "cheap" bolt actions are very capable performers. You are better off investing in a $450 scope on a $350 rifle, than a $150 scope on a $650 rifle. Now, everyone "deserves" a dandy piece of eye candy when they can afford it....but do not expect it to shoot any better than the plastic stocked "***" for $350.

Funny how a $135 beater would pay off the way it has. I still have it too!
    Last edited by dverna; 10-31-2020 at 11:46 AM.
    Don Verna

Boolit Buddy
    In my shoes. And where ever they take me.
    I agree with you. Im still building up, but 2 or 3 more my collection will be well rounded.

Boolit Master
    im happy with 2x22rf 1x223 1x357 mag 1x308 and a 45-70 .just wish we could have revolvers again . s&w 686 and ruger single 6 in stainless again.

Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post

For you guys starting out, ignore everything you read in the gun magazines and most of what you read on the internet.

Investing in learning how to shoot well, reload and cast is far more rewarding and useful than amassing a couple of safes of guns that you will rarely use.

Amen !

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    About 12 years ago, I bought a 94 .30/30 that was a bit rusted for $135. I had helped a widow sell off most of her husbands guns and no one wanted the rifle. I had no need for it, as I had a 336 and NIB 94, but she wanted it out of the house. I thought I would send it to JES to convert to .35/30. Sending it to JES, buying dies and a mold would have added $450 to my "bargain". I wondered it it would be smarter to buy the used .35 Rem. 336 the LGS had for $250? And it dawned on me...."What will either of the .35's do that the .30/30 cannot?" Will deer know the difference? The custom caliber did not do anything better than the .35 Rem or for that matter, the .308 deer rifle.

I started looking at the plethora of rifles and pistols I had accumulated and asked the same question. "What do I need them for?"

I ended up realizing I "needed" two rifle calibers a .22 CF and .30 Cal. The .22 was easy...I went with the .223/5.56. I had more .308's than other .30's, and went with it. Decided to keep the .30/30's as well but for other reasons.

I put about 20 guns on Gunbroker a few months later. Was astonished at the prices I got and sold them all. Did another batch later on with similar success. I wound up with well over $20k for guns I rarely used and did not need. Sold off the brass and bullets and netted more cash and more SPACE!!!

I waited for sales/promotions and invested in powder and primers to get a lifetime supply. Found a lady that likes to shoot, so got three more guns for her. Lastly, I wanted redundant weapons if the SHTF and added a few more. That led me to get a couple of cheap T/C rifles. I had funds left over and I have a few more guns left to sell!

I continue to be amazed at the accuracy of the modern factory rifle. I have never had a rifle that would not shoot well except for a .22 Hornet Handi-Rifle that went down the road many years ago. I must be lucky! The T/C Compass shoots better than the M70 HB...go figure.

Shedding my "useless" guns has made things simpler. I load 12, 20 and 28 ga; .223, .30/30 and .308; and 9mm, .38/.357, .40 and .45ACP using five powders. Promo, CleanShot, Unique, H4895 and Varget; and I could get by with three...Promo, Unique and Varget. I no longer need LP primers or Magnum LR primers.

I have not compromised too much. The bolt guns are MOA or better with jacketed bullet loads they like, and I have negligible desire to shoot cast in them. I no longer shoot a pistol well enough to notice a 1" group improvement at 25 yards. KISS has worked out for me. Enough toys to keep things interesting and a lifetime supply of components.

For you guys starting out, ignore everything you read in the gun magazines and most of what you read on the internet. Investing in learning how to shoot well, reload and cast is far more rewarding and useful than amassing a couple of safes of guns that you will rarely use. Not many need more than a .223 and .30 cal for 98% of their rifle shooting needs. And most of the "cheap" bolt actions are very capable performers. You are better off investing in a $450 scope on a $350 rifle, than a $150 scope on a $650 rifle. Now, everyone "deserves" a dandy piece of eye candy when they can afford it....but do not expect it to shoot any better than the plastic stocked "***" for $350.

Funny how a $135 beater would pay off the way it has. I still have it too!
    Sacrilege! Burn the unbeliever!

I didn't make any money off clearing out all of my guns. Most of mine were stolen from my stored household good when I went overseas to Germany in late 1991. I didn't find out about it until 1996, when my stuff was supposed be be shipped to me, here in Oklahoma. I got just a bit over $500, IIRC, for a nearly mint 1903-A3, my Agawam Arms .22LR SS "lever gun" that was my first owned rifle, and some other long guns. Had two young kids, and needed find a place to live, and furnish it, so didn't get to replace them, either. Fortunately, I'd left my Stevens Favorite with my dad. Eventually, I got it back, but it took until 3 or 4 years ago to get serious about getting back into shooting again. Once upon a time, I had owned at least 40 or 50 rifles, 15 or 20 pistols in a mix of revolvers and semi's. I deeply regret getting rid of a Nazi-marked Browning Hi-Power. Some yahoo had shot 9mm sub-gun ammo in it, and bulged the factory barrel before I got it. A new barrel would have cost nearly what I paid for the gun, and made it no longer original. For some reason, it did not occur to me that I could keep the bulged barrel and restore it anytime I felt like it. Yep. I was an ID10T. Lots of stupidity in those days, is all I can say.

Fast forward to today. I have a 1903 Springfield sporter my brother helped me buy, three revolvers some of which he helped on, and the Ruger 22 MkII he'd been holding on to for me, and I went out and found my own 1911-clone. Also have a MN 91/30, and stuff to reload for them. Brother has helped a lot with that, and I've helped myself some, too. In addition to buying stuff, I've been practicing making some stuff, too. Got big plans, just gotta get everything lined up to do it right. It is a heck of a lot easier to see what I need, and need to do, with the smaller collection. And, as the saying goes, the guy who dies with the most toys still dies. And someone else will have to deal with his toys. I want a few more toys before that becomes a problem, but I want to play with them more than I have so far in the mean time. Maybe just a little less stupid these days. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmx3zfe63ZQ (turn off auto-play to make sure you don't get anything you shouldn't have on this group.)

Boolit Master

At this stage in my life, I been thinking about what happens to my "collection" should the Good Lord call me home. My brother, daughter and son-in-law, and my grand kids will get them all.

Slowly, I have been downsizing by getting rid of some of the more "exotic" firearms, calibers that are rare or have to be made-up from other brass cases (wildcats), and guns that only true gun-tinkerers/reloaders would know or have knowledge about.

Keeping most of the old tried and true standard firearms and calibers for a gift/inheritance for my immediate family.

Time marches on, it waits for no man!
    Maker of Silver Boolits for Werewolf hunting

Banned
    I do something on a smaller scale every year. Throughout the year I buy guns that are too cheap to pass up. Two recent purchases are a Savage 219 in 22 Hornet for $150 and a Savage 24 in 22LR/410 for $200.

I find I don't really need them but I shoot them a few times anyway. I always go back to my favorites, all Marlin lever guns in 357, 45 Colt and 30-30. And my flintlocks.

I usually list 4 or 5 guns that I bought during the year and stash that money for the next round of stuff that is too cheap.

Steve in N CA

Boolit Grand Master
    There is an old saying, "Beware the man with one gun, he probably knows how to use it."

Both of my grandpa's had a .22 and a shotgun. One was a twelve gauge 870, (he liked to hunt ducks), the other had a .410 singleshot. There were no deer to hunt around here in the middle part of the last century, so no need for a centerfire rifle.

As we gained leisure time and more disposable income in the post WWII years, more people bought more guns.

At least that is my take on it,

Robert

To the OP "Amen". I should do what you did but for some reason I just cannot bare to see some of them go. I do shoot most of them but some are truly strangers to me. Next spring will start the exercise. I have to lighten the load, just have to decide who stays and who goes. I am not at the "need or not" stage but close.

Take Care

Bob
    Its been months since I bought the book, "How to scam people online". It still has not arrived yet!

"If the human population held hands around the equator, a significant portion of them would drown"

Boolit Master
    I did the same thing a several years ago. Got tired of having guns I did not use or shoot.

Mine started with a model 94 as well. I had one and my nephew wanted one, so, good place for it to go. That started me down the path.

I kept a few sentimental pieces (four) but most of the rest went away. Kept pistols for my wife (.45acp) and I (9mm). Rifles are .50cal muzzle loader, .223 and .308 bolt guns.

Boolit Grand Master
    Guys, at first it was not painless. I had to do it in stages. And I have more to unload. But I NEVER missed one of the guns I sold.

Hickok made a great point I missed. I may have liked all the toys I had but what the heck would my son do with scores of weapons he has no desire for.

I was so “nuts”, I had a .243, .243 WSM, 6mm, and a .25/06. And I had the hots for a .257 Roberts!! Just silly....must be why we are labeled gun nuts. All now gone. None missed.

I love to shoot. Knowing i will be able to do that for the rest of my life is comforting. The ******** could ban the sale of primers, powder, bullets, and shot.....and I will not be affected.

I have one itch left to scratch, but in a caliber I already have. A 2 MOA .357 in a bolt or single shot (not a break open). Wish I could find a Martini or similar rifle. Had hopes for the Ruger 77, but they did not seem to shoot well.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master
    I've also been giving some thoughts about what to do with what I have before I'm gone. The wife doesn't know anything about firearms. One of my sons in law I asked if he'd be interested in anything I left to him. Got a big resounding yeah. So will stick the serial numbers in the will and a description. My other son in law but have not asked him yet. Have a good friend whom I trust maybe ask him and set a split for him and the rest to my wife. Frank

Boolit Master
    Yep, there were a lot of guns I 'wanted', like that 94 Win. Just found that when I got them I didn't shoot them. I always went back to my favorites.

There are still guns that I want, but, they are just too much money for me to justify and a couple would be too expensive to shoot (and would require a Class III license ).

Banned

I see your point, but I like guns, particularly rifles and if I have a bunch if "useless guns" around to play with, it makes me happy. So preach the efficiency thing all you want, if that works for you, great. Personally, if it's something I like and I can afford it, I'll have one around until I get bored with it or want something else more.

Boolit Master

The nice thing about collecting guns for a hobby is that they are reasonably compact to store, they don't deteriorate in storage, and you can generally quickly convert them to cash for about what you have invested in them. Compare this to having a couple of race cars in your garage. Or keeping horses.
    Remember: Ammo will get you through times of no money better than money will get you through times of no ammo.

Boolit Bub

Wink

I tend to agree with dverna. Right now I’m trying to sell a new-no-box A Bolt II Medallion 26” 300 WSM that I bought 6 years ago, a 1925 Le Fever 20 ga SbS, and a 1983 12 ga Winchester Ranger semi-auto.

When they are gone, I will be left with the 12 ga Win I bought when I was 15, 12 ga Browning Silver, 1956 12 ga Browning A5, 20 ga SKB O/U mfd when I was 3, Springfield 22 S/L/LR that belonged to my Grandpa, 1999 Steyr 30-06, pristine first production year Win M70 300 WSM Featherweight which is mis-named with its Win Magnum barrel, new Super Grade 264 Win Mag that was a steal, 22 yro Raging Bull 444, Baer Custom 45, Walther 40 S & W, and a dbl stack Para Ordnance 45 that I replaced springs in and did some polishing on to make it function reliably. I may sell it soon.

Of course I NEED a new Henry H012GL. So, yea, I’m downsizing and simplifying...

Boolit Master

At 57, I still have every gun I have ever bought. If I liked it enough to buy it, I see no reason to sell. My son is a gun nut also, he can have them all, when the good Lord calls me home!

Unless they fall over board when I am out shrimping!

Good thread with a lot of common sense. I have one nephew who would be interested in my firearms and reloading related items. Unfortunately, he lives 1,200 miles away. He hasn't taken up casting, yet. Doesn't seem to be many of the younger generation wanting to learn how to. That being said, I think a good number of us have guns we wanted vs guns we needed. Dverna hit the nail on the head. Why have something sitting in a gun vault (often for years) that never sees any use? Break it down to what you use, part with the rest and enjoy the fact you were fortunate enough to own a few for the pure pleasure of just owning them. Not sure about others, but I'm also pocket knife poor. I've got enough pocket/hunting knifes to last 3 men a lifetime if they know how not to abuse or mistreat them.

Murphy
    If I should depart this life while defending those who cannot defend themselves, then I have died the most honorable of deaths. Marc R. Murphy '2006'.

Boolit Master
    I don't have as many guns a some and I am not worried about what would happen to mine and all my loading stuff when I die. I will be dead and won't care. My wife if she survives me will be well taken care of even if she just gives it all away. Actually I have some guns that maybe should be destroyed before I die as in the wrong hands they could hurt the user and bystanders. Like say my 450 BPE. It is not marked as 450 BPE and the only easily available factory ammo that would fit in it is 450 Nitro Express. Not sure the gun or shooter would survive shooting 450 Nitro Express in that gun. Another is my Dan Wesson mdl 15, I have a 32-20 cylinder, .357 Mag. cylinder, 22 caliber barrels, 30 caliber barrel and 35 caliber barrels all fitted to that frame. Shooting .357 Mag ammo thru the 30 caliber barrel would probably be a disaster and if someone was stupid enough to try either with factory ammo and the 22 caliber barrel same disaster. Then there are my thousands of rounds of reloaded ammo. It would be illegal for my wife to sell them or even give them away. Not sure anyone could tell my reloads from my factory ammo. I put my reloads in factory ammo boxes and some are not labeled.

Tim
    Words are weapons sharper than knives - INXS

The pen is mightier than the sword - Edward Bulwer-Lytton

The tongue is mightier than the blade - Euripides

he's a witch!!!!!!! burn the unbeliever!!!! fire will cleanse his soul!!!!!!!!

the last gun i sold was about 5 years ago and i got a ruger sbh with the money. i have a savage m12 that i "want" to sell but my dad and my son luv it. i've got rid of all of my guns(pumps mostly and plastic stocks) that i couldn't use(disabled). i've gotten a c&r licence and 6 or 7 more rifles that needs redone or built. the only rifle that i have, 1898 spr armory in 30-40 krag(1903), is a "heirloom". my great grandfather bought it and it was given to my pap(grandfather), then father and late uncle and he finally gave to me. when i die, it will be given to one of my sons.

when i die, my rifles will be given to my sons and i wish that they will stay in the family. the only rifle that was given to me(ex. the krag) at the age of 12, is a win m94(1972) top eject in 30-30. i shot alot of deer with it. i shot my first buck(spike) and my first doe. i stuck her in the the safe when i first got the rem m700 mountain rifle and lyman reloading kit. she stayed in there for about 20-25 years. then last year she was given a new life. JES did a 35/30-30 and i did a williams fp sight. a 200gr fn gc deflated a doe's lungs and i was hooked, again.

i am not going to sell my rifles(exp the plastic savage), but i can do a sample of most used rifles.
    1898 spr armory armory in 30-40 krag
    win m94 in 35/30-30
    husqvarna m46 in 9.3x57(my favorite)
    tc encore rifle in 20 vartarg(most accurate)
    ruger #1 in 270 win
    Ad Reipublicae his Civitatum Foederatarum Americae, ego sum fortis et libero. Ego autem non exieris ad impios communistarum socialismi. Ora imagines in vestri demented mentem, quod vos mos have misericordia, quia non.

To the Republic of these United States of America, I am strong and free. I will never surrender to godless communist socialism. Pray to images in your demented mind, that you will have mercy, because i will not.

MOLON LABE

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast