Load DataWidenersLee PrecisionRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Titan Reloading Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spare parts for Dillon?

Spare parts for Dillon?

I've rarely called Dillon for replacement parts under warranty, but back when the powder measures were binding due to metal on metal fulcrum / powder bar wear they replaced everything I needed. I've read that they tightened up their replacement parts due to scammers re-selling them on Ebay.

Since then even though they used to have free replacement parts I stocked a goodly supply of replacements. The other day my primer feeder started flipping primers or not feeding at all, and it took 5 minutes to replace the plastic primer holder bottom of the primer tube. At least for the next several years or so I'm GTG

If you do not keep spare parts, having a spare parts kit on hand is surely better than waiting for parts to arrive by mail.
    Regards,

Gary

Boolit Grand Master
    Even though I have two Dillon machines, I carry spares. Better to have them and not need them than to need them and not have them. Over the life of the tool, they represent a minimal investment.

BTW, the little plastic bits are about the only thing I do not like about the Dillons. Plastic will break. And plastic stored for years and years gets brittle even if not used.
    Don Verna

I always purchase a spare parts kit for all my presses to have on hand when the occasion arises to need to replace / fix something. SDB, 550b, 650. Cheap insurance IMHO
    "Hollow Points"-"From Those Who Care Enough To Send The Very Best"

Banned
    I keep spare Dillon parts on hand but rarely need them.

Boolit Master
    @gnappi I do as you suggest, but also suggest that you reach out to Dillon so they can replace the failed part. I have had zero issues with them replacing anything, but they ask more questions about some parts than others.

Boolit Master

Have never needed spare parts for my Rockchucker.
    Spell check doesn't work in Chrome, so if something is spelled wrong, it's just a typo that I missed.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ulav8r View Post
    They’ve got a great warranty too, and I’ve used it for parts. Of course the Rockchucker is a much simpler press than any Dillon, so your point is kinda like saying to a guy that needed a new shim to align the fence on his cabinet saw that you’ve never needed a shim for your old Disston hand saw.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JimB.. View Post
    They’ve got a great warranty too, and I’ve used it for parts. Of course the Rockchucker is a much simpler press than any Dillon, so your point is kinda like saying to a guy that needed a new shim to align the fence on his cabinet saw that you’ve never needed a shim for your old Disston hand saw.
    No, it's like saying the Rockchucker is more durable. You could build a steel Dillon but it would be heavier and more expensive.
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

Banned
    I bought the spare parts kit for my dillon when I purchased the press. Haven't needed to use any yet, maybe some day. Comparing a single stage press against a progressive is an apple to oranges comparision.

Boolit Master
    I got a spare parts with my used SDB. Dillon rebuilt it once, I have rebuilt it once, and the primer tube tip and advance pawl have been replaced several times. Dillon gave me a new primer system as well. Great machine, I wish I had logged how many thousand rounds I have loaded with it!
    NRA Endowment Life Member

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mal Paso View Post
    No, it's like saying the Rockchucker is more durable. You could build a steel Dillon but it would be heavier and more expensive.
    I believe that rockchuckers are cast iron, not steel.

The density of steel can be either slightly higher or slightly lower than that of cast iron, so can’t say if a steel Dillon would be heavier or lighter based on that, but probably lighter since the frame could be smaller.

You are right though that making a press from steel would cost more than making one from cast iron.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by JimB.. View Post

I believe that rockchuckers are cast iron, not steel
    TYPICALLY (not absolutely,,) items that are made out of cast iron are used in compression, like car cylinder heads.

Items that are used in tension (like the sides of the reloading press) are made out of ductile iron.

Ductile, and cast iron are similar, but, ductile cost more to make items.

Cast steel costs a little more than ductile,, then at the top of the cost heap is forged, like S&W pistol frames,,

Boolit Bub
    Have only changed out the advance pawl once on my almost 10 year old 650. I do have the parts kit just in case.
    Will be needing a case feeder motor next as its getting pretty weak.

I have at least two of each of their presses so, technically I have a spare of everything should I get in a bind and need it.

Quote Originally Posted by Russel A View Post
    Will be needing a case feeder motor next as its getting pretty weak.
    Might check the clutch, it could just need a little tightening because the plate is slipping. The gear motors generally work or not vs gradually loosing power over time.

Neither have I, well not counting the spent primer tray. It’s too bad I can’t load 100 rounds in 4 minutes on one, without having to touch a single case or bullet or it would be perfect.

FWIW my 1050’s have cast iron frames just like my RC.

Boolit Master
    I have loaded close to a quarter million rounds on my Dillon SDB, and over more than 25 years Dillon has replaced just about every part of the press except the dies and ram.

That being said, I agree that it's good to have spare parts to keep running until the replacement for what wore out or broke comes in the mail.

THAT being said, unfortunately not everything that breaks is in the spare parts kits, and right now Dillon is as badly impacted by the huge spike in demand for reloading equipment and COVID related production bottle necks as many other companies. I hear it's hard to reach a live person for warranty replacement parts, and found out personally that many parts are back ordered so you can't even buy them and expect quick shipment.

My press is still running, even though it needs to go back to Dillon at some point. I just have to baby it and find work arounds. I worry, though, that operating a press with damage may cause accelerated and unusual wear in other parts that I don't have spares for. Ugh...

Boolit Master

One of our forum members (marcusp323) was extremely helpful with SDB parts at reasonable prices. Don’t know about other Dillon parts but worth a try.

Quote Originally Posted by ulav8r View Post

I have never been able to load 600 (sub-moa) rounds in an hour with my rockchucker.

NRA LIFE Member

USPSA/IPSC

Boolit Master
    the comment about the Rockchucker not needing spares is funny. The reason I got a Dillon, over 30 hears ago, was to avoid the "tennis elbow" I got loading enough ammo for PPC matches each week. Didn't wear out my old Pacific Super, but I was wearing out my elbow....Dillon is cheaper than surgery.
    NRA Endowment Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by AZ Pete View Post
    the comment about the Rockchucker not needing spares is funny. The reason I got a Dillon, over 30 hears ago, was to avoid the "tennis elbow" I got loading enough ammo for PPC matches each week. Didn't wear out my old Pacific Super, but I was wearing out my elbow....Dillon is cheaper than surgery.
    Too often a point overlooked when weighing the merits of progressive presses.
    Regards,

Gary

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast