WidenersLee PrecisionReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
Load DataRepackboxSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters Supply Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: .41 Ruger Blackhawk

Boolit Master
    I've been a fan of the 41 Blackhawk since the late 60's, I have a 3 screw with a 4 digit no prefix number, all the others I had are gone. You should buy it.
    https://www.starlinebrass.com/41-mag-brass

Boolit Grand Master

First revolver besides a Single Six I bought along with a pound of Blue Dot. Learned to load with Lee Whack a Mole. All the advantages of a larger caliber with less kick. Favority caliber for some reason and wish I had both of mine back.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Vendor Sponsor

Ruger should make a Blackhawk Flattop and a New Vaquero in 41mag.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Master
    well the decision was made for me, I was a bit too slow today and the gun sold... oh well back to the hunt

Boolit Master

If a 41 won't stop it, I wouldn't bet my life on a 44.

Are you going to now be hunting a 41?

Boolit Master
    I have had a Ruger BH in 6.5" since the mid 80s and am very happy with it. I have two favorite loads, a 225gr cast at 1480 and a home made (from 40 S&W cases) 270gr jacketed at 1100. I have never shot anything large with it but a believe it would work fine for anything less than a large brown bear.

Boolit Man
    I have both, when my dad passed away he left me a ruger 41 mag and a ruger 45 colt. The colt has more options for bullets but the 41 is great too. Both have sentimental value and I like looking at them more than shooting them, I am an auto pistol guy, but they both put deer down and are fun to shoot.
    Learning by breaking something every day!
    Remington 700ML

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by DougGuy View Post
    Would it hold up to the magnum pressures?

Always liked the 41 Magnum. Back in the '70s I went through a couple S&W M57s and a M58. All were very good shooters but the large N frame grip is just not compatible with my smaller hands, especially with DA and with magnum loads. I even had a M28 converted to 41 magnum. I ended up letting all the Smiths go thinking of getting a Ruger BH but time and other interests kept that on hold 'til '91. Then I picked up a Ruger Bisley from an Army Captain who was being transferred to Germany. He had just recently got the Bisley and had shot 18 rounds of Remington JSPs through it. Price was very right so I was back in the 41 magnum business. I've been very happy with it ever since. I've D&T'd the top strap for a very low Weaver base and have a Burris Fastfire on it. Unlike most other mounts the irons sights are there and zeroed so if the FF goes TU I can simply remove it quickly and still be good to go.

Attachment 270532
    Last edited by Larry Gibson; 11-01-2020 at 10:01 AM.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gibson View Post
    Would it hold up to the magnum pressures?
    I think it would. 23kpsi for the 45, and we speculate the 44 can safely handle 25kpsi because the cylinder walls are slightly thicker although Ruger will never publicly acknowledge this, so with the even thicker cylinder walls of the 41, 36kpsi doesn't seem like too far of a stretch.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Master
    As I recall there are several posters over on the SingleAction Forums that have OM .357s converted to .41 Magnum... They don't seem to be concerned at all over pressure/strength issues but more to having to limit the LOA of some of the longer nose cast bullets...

Ruger did make a run of Flat Tops in 4 5/8" and 6.5" but they were on the original .44 Magnum Flat Top frame size...

Bob

Boolit Buddy
    I have several .41 Mag Rugers, including a 3 Screw and Bisley model, and its always been one of my favorite chamberings in the Blackhawk.

Great caliber in two fine guns: Ruger's BH and Smith's M57. My favorite is an Old Model Ruger with its 4-5/8" bbl., for its easy carrying length and weight. I have a Flat Top 6-1/2" as well as a Smith M57 6"er that are just a tad more accurate, but don't feel nearly as 'right' when on the hip.

Cast bullet loads for my three are uniformly sized to 0.411, with ACWW alloy and 50-50 lube. Skelton's justly famous 7.5 gr Unique load for a .44 Spl., works equally well with a 210-220 gr .41 bullet at roughly the same velocity. As does 6.5 gr of Win 231 or 8.0 gr of Herco, with the following bullets.

I load both Lyman's 410459 and RCBS' 41-215 for similar velocities and with great accuracy. For all day carry, they're hard to beat. Here's a pic of the 3-screw with a pair of stocks I made up. For those who've not seen this pic before, those stocks are cut from 4-board horse fencing, poplar, that's just starting to decompose...the marking is called spalting and is the result of bacteria in the wood. Best regards, Rod & BTW, Hornady's 210 gr XTP with 9.0 gr of Herco makes a dandy carry load right at 1000 fps from my 3-screw 4-5/8" bbl.

Last edited by Rodfac; 11-01-2020 at 10:38 PM.
    Rod

Boolit Master

Love those grips. Good job.
    If a 41 won't stop it, I wouldn't bet my life on a 44.

Here is a frontal shot of my mid frame 41 mag. The cylinder walls seem more than sufficient for the purpose. If I get a chance I'll take some measurements but they don't appear much thinner than my large frame Bisley 41 mag.

Boolit Grand Master

Good Boolit Moulds : NOE
    412-237-SWC (KEITH)

413-215-WC (413432)

Both are freaking Awesome ... especially 413-215-WC .... an accurate 41 wadcutter ! Sweet !

I shoot these boolits out of a S&W model 58 41 magnum (my avatar) .

Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master
    That would be sweet !

Boolit Grand Master

I think it would. 23kpsi for the 45, and we speculate the 44 can safely handle 25kpsi because the cylinder walls are slightly thicker although Ruger will never publicly acknowledge this, so with the even thicker cylinder walls of the 41, 36kpsi doesn't seem like too far of a stretch.
    I would think that too. Is the new model Vaquero cylinder the same diameter as the old model BH?
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Attachment 2706251st 41mag I had was a m58 S&W, most accurate fixed sight pistol I ever owned. Then only ammo factory was 210gr Peters. Then bought dies, molds and Ruger Blackhawks. Nice guns all. The only thing I can say they are like 16g shot guns, not enough bigger than 20g or smaller than 12g to go out of your way to get. I just sold the last S&W m57 out of my collection as well as all m19s. Those are the two Cartridges I shot the least. I find myself shooting 45s, 44sp and 38sp much more than the magnums. When I do shoot them it’s special level loads. I wouldn’t encourage 41mag on a guy as first or only CF handgun. Some guys love them but most don’t get to excited over them. They are just barely hanging on.

Moderator Emeritus

Hogue grips made all the difference for me. Have nerve damage in last three fingers and the grip made it much easier for me.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast