MidSouth Shooters Supply Inline Fabrication
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: .41 Ruger Blackhawk

Boolit Buddy
    The 41 Mag is awesome.

Boolit Master

The .41 magnum just hanging on?
    I don't think so. Lol
    If a 41 won't stop it, I wouldn't bet my life on a 44.

Boolit Grand Master

The 41 magnum is most certainly not just barely hanging on. Just about all manufacturers of revolvers besides Colt makes one in 41 magnum. Ruger and S&W make multiple versions. I'm fairly sure Taurus does, or did last year. Charter Arms does. All the semi-custom ones do. Magnum Research, Freedom Arms, etc. The 41 magnum is every bit as popular as 45 colt, but not in every venue. Obviously in an area heavy in cowboy shooting 45 colt will be more common. Flip that to hunting, and the 41 magnum will be more common. 45 colt isn't even a legal hunting caliber in a number of states that have draconian minimum energy level laws.

Boolit Master
    Caveat: I'm a 44 guy. That said, my shootin' partner has a 57 that he was presented while in the USMC (that may explain a bit). He had it cut from an 8 3/8 to a five inch, and carried/shot it seldom. Then we became friends and I recruited him as a reserve deputy and got him into competitive shooting. Our local LE circuit limits revolver barrels to 4", so when we started a separate class for big bore revos, he got it cut again to 4" and the poor old pistol now gets the snot shot out of it. I bought the M-P 41 HBWC mold for it and it just thrives. He also likes the 170 and 210 SWCs at bullseye velocities, and for some reason (USMC) prefers the Silvertip factory load over GDHPs for carry. If you do find one, keep the M-P HBWC in mind for precision target loads. I use iterations of this boolit in .310 for .32-20 and .30 Carbine revolvers, and in .358, .432 and .452 in the M66 M686 and a 5" M27, my pet M29, 624, 625-8 and Ruger BKHK/SBKHK and B92, R92 and B53 as well. I also use them turned as cup points in numerous loads. Good luck in the hunt for a .41 Mag.
    Ed <><

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by DougGuy View Post
    Ruger should make a Blackhawk Flattop and a New Vaquero in 41mag.
    Yes Sir that would be great 👍
    I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left.
    Paralyzed Veterans of America

Looking for a Hensly &Gibbs #258 any thing from a two cavity to a 10cavityI found a new one from a member here

Boolit Master
    mega...there are not many left compared to most other calibers...

S&W..57-6 Classic 6" blue...

Ruger... Blackhawk in 4 5/8" and 6.5"...

Freedom Arms... 97 and 83 in various lengths...

Charter Arms... Pug...

Henry has the BigBoy Steel and Brass in two different barrel lengths..

...and that is it...

Boolit Grand Master

I haven't kept track this year with the buying craze, which I do not partake. Last year I'm fairly sure S&W had both a 4" and 6", and both blued and nickel. Ruger had the ones you listed, as well as a 4.2" redhawk, and I think a 7.5" super redhawk. I don't know about Taurus, I feel like it was a raging bull. I mean, how many more does there have to be? Ruger had a number of variations of 45 colt in their blackhawk/vaquero, but besides that, 45 colt doesn't have more than that.

As I said, neither is as mainstream as 38 special, 357 magnum, or 44 magnum, but both 41 magnum and 45 colt are fairly common. Most gun stores will have both kinds of ammo.

Boolit Master
    I'm afraid you are a few years behind...

S&W hasn't made the 57 in nickel or 4" since 2012

Ruger only catalogs the BH in 4 5/8" and 6.5". Everything else over the last 10 years has been Distributor Exclusives of 113 to 500 guns. The Redhawk 4.2" and 2.75" were both limited runs made several years ago and now sell for over a grand when they come up for sale...same for the Super Redhawk, Hunter Models, stainless Bisley and the small run of stainless BHs they made..

Taurus has been out of the .41 business for about three years.

...yet there is a bigger variety of .41 Magnum ammo than ever before...

Boolit Master

I learned to shoot single action big-bores with a standard 6.5" Ruger Blackhawk in .41 magnum.
    "Is all this REALLY necessary?"

Well if it means anything, I had an old model 6.5" Blackhawk that I sold to a friend that just "Had to have it". Sometimes I regret the decision. But he's happy so I don't say much. But I told him if he ever wanted to sell it, let me know first. The .41 has a lot of potential for a reloader. Haven't shopped around for factory for it so can't say much there.
    Do the best you can, with what you've got, where you're at. -Theodore Roosevelt

Boolit Master
    I have 2 as well. A dan wesson with custom made 6 and 8' barrels. Insane accurate bullets touching at 100 yards with optics when I have a scope on it. My other is the model 327 Smith titanium/scadnium airweight. I just yesterday found the holy grail load for my titanium. I LOVE my .41s. I have 44s too. I shoot my 41s to 44 3 to one.
    Our house is protected by the Good Lord and a gun and you might meet them both if you show up here not welcome son!

Boolit Mold
    I have always wanted a Blackhawk in .41 mag. You just got me excited again reading these posts. I reload and cast so that problem is non-existent. i am going start looking in the local pawn shops again, that's where I found my 7.5" Bisley 45 Colt Blackhawk for a great deal.

Boolit Master
    Funny, I really like all 1.29" revolver cartridges. Started with the 357, then the 44 and finally the 45. Never got into the 41 and find threads such as this intriguing. Probably would like the 41 as much as any of them - likely more than the 357 as I gravitate toward the bigger bores although not necessarily loaded to the limit. The 41 would never likely fully rub out the need(want) for a 45 but I could definitely see it doing so for the 357 & 44 were I not already so invested in those two. So threads like this scare me

Banned

Never heard of a 2 screw Blackhawk!

Boolit Master
    Anything with a “4” in the lead number is a good thing.

Got a pair of 41s here. Brass is not as free flowing but boat loads can be bought from Starline. Molds are less numerous but how many styles does one really need?

My baby is still hands down my Smith 44 Mag Mountain Gun and a 7.5” Redhawk, however my Blued Dan Wesson 6” in 41 Mag is running close, a Smith 8 3/8” 57 and a SRH 7.5” 480 round out my top end revolvers.

Buy that 41 and have something to grin about in this otherwise awful year!

Three44s
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207

“There is more to this than dumping lead in a hole.”

Boolit Master

Two of my favorite revolvers are .41's. The first is a S&W 657 w/6" barrel & full length under lug. The other is a Ruger stainless Bisley. I had a blued Bisley that a friend wanted so I sold it to him and bought the stainless gun.
    John
    W.TN

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by smithnframe View Post
    Never heard of a 2 screw Blackhawk!
    That's a "New Model" Blackhawk. Since 1973, IIRC, all Blackhawk variants have been "New Models", with the transfer bar innards and only two screws through the frame.
    Literacy should not be considered optional in computer based communication.

Mr. smithnframe was jokingly pointing out a typo in the OP where metricmonkeywrench called his new gun a 2 screw. Actually the "Old Models" had 3 screws on the side of the main frame- plus the 5 grip frame screws. The "New Models" use 3 pins on the main frame- and 5 screws on the grip frame. SO- let's call them 8 Screws and 5 Screws! Who's with me?
    No one? Okay...
    I'm just going to go outside and shoot mine.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

I've got very good groups with my bisley hunter and 2 power leupold on the barrel.
    Have used several different cast boolits in it.
    My favorite is saeco 220 grain from a 4 cavity mold.
    I fire-lapped it and it shoots 2 inch groups at 75 yards.
    Only thing I don't like is the bisley hammers my middle finger knuckle.
    As much as I like it my F/A 454casull goes out more often.
    The rubber grips that comes with the field grade is a lot more comfortable.
    Maybe I haven't been holding the bisley grip right because it doesn't seem to be as good about recoil as others have stated.
    If it had preceded the 44mag I think it would be the most popular in a S&W.

Boolit Bub
    Yup. Besides difficulty finding reloading components in an already tight market, not much to dislike about the 41 Mag. I’ve always had it in the back of my mind. Just haven’t come across the right one yet. But I have hope!

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast