Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
RepackboxLoad DataWidenersLee Precision
Inline Fabrication RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: .41 Ruger Blackhawk

Boolit Master

.41 Ruger Blackhawk

So in my usual backwards way of going about things I have gathered up a pile of large pistol primers and nothing to use them on. My eventual quest once I get the funds together to get something in .45 cal (4506, 1911 or Blackhawk in 45LC. I have the brass powder and a couple moulds ready for that day...

However an opportunity to pick up a 2 screw .41 Blackhawk with some dies, brass and bullets has crossed my path at a reasonable price. It will of course blow the bank and delay the .45 quest but give me something well suited to casting and reloading to feed the east.

So what are the upsides/downsides to an orphan caliber or a Blackhawk? I haven’t looked much but what is the availability of good moulds.

Any good reasons to buy or should I let it pass and stay on course for a better supported .45 cal? Just looking for thoughts and opinions...

I really like the caliber. Loaded to its potential, it is capable of killing all but the biggest, baddest animals in north america. Loaded to a milder level, it is still a very capable man stopper that is very easy shooting. It is a very straight forward easy cartridge to load for. It is my preferred caliber for white tail deer.
    Due to the price of primers, warning shots will no longer be given!

Boolit Master
    The .41 Magnum is an underrated caliber,, and the Ruger leads the pack in having one of the best. I own a few of them myself.
    I'd say get it,, and enjoy it. A .45 will come along,, and you can allow the SA family to grow.

I have a BH 4-5/8" that I really like and there are a lot if options once you start looking. Mostly reloaded and cast for it as finding 41 mag or Specials factory ammo is hard in our area. I shoot from 170 gr to 276 gr cast thru mine from plinkers to rip snorting.

There's a whole discussion going on in this thread about the 41 that will give you an idea of what's out there. I don't think you will be sorry getting it.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...ad-Data-Center
    Steve,

Life Member NRA
    Colorado Rifle Club member
    Rocky Mtn Gun Owners member
    NAGR member

Boolit Master

I have two Ruger BH 4-5/8", one straight and one with a Red Dot
    and a Smith 6" 57
    They all shoot great

Mike
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

The 41 is hard to find ammo for and used brass isn't available like it is for the 44 mag or 45 colt. If buying brass and never finding some free or cheap doesn't bother you then there ain't much downside. Moulds ain't nearly as common, but they are offered. Again, finding used is harder.

Personally I like the caliber and if I had run across a 41 before the 44SBH I currently have I'd be a diehard 41 fan instead of an avid 44 fan.

Boolit Master

As far as I'm concerned, there is no downside to the revolver or the .41 cartridge. Moulds are plentiful. The cartridge is easy to load. I won't say brass is as plentiful as the 44 magnum, but it is a lot more plentiful than it used to be, and you WILL be able to find it.
    Full house loads are very controllable, and won't beat you up like the other magnums. Bought my first (3 screw BH) in 1969. In 1972, bought a S&W 57. It's a great revolver. Last year, bought the Ruger SBH Hunter in .41 magnum. It is scoped, and shoots 3"groups at 50 yards easily. I wouldn't trade it for two 44's.
    Buy it! You won't be sorry.
    Regards
    Last edited by littlejack; 10-31-2020 at 12:54 AM.
    If a 41 won't stop it, I wouldn't bet my life on a 44.

Boolit Grand Master

It depends on where you are. In my section of the world, I can go into just about any store and find 41 magnum ammo. There is 45 colt, but it is not nearly as common.

Neither caliber is as common as the big 3 revolver cartridges, but neither is obscure.

Boolit Master

Actually, buying my brass is usually the way I get it. I don't usually go out looking for free brass. Theres bullet moulds available from here on the forum venders, and mould manufacturers, i.e. Lyman, Saeco, Lee and other major mould manufacturers. I've bought many off of ebay. No problems at all.

.41 magnum fan boy since I WAS a boy. Get it, you won't regret it. Any one who bad mouths it has never used it.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master
    My very good friend was mauled by a grizzly. Very seriously mauled. Lying on the ground after the first attack, he managed to unholster his .41 mag Blackhawk. That revolver was a fight stopper and it saved his life. I think it took three shots, and she was dead at his feet. -- I got nothing bad to say about the caliber or gun.

Boolit Master
    Have a 4 inch Model 57 Smith and Wesson .41 Mag. and love it. I personally like the 220 grain Keith or the Arsenal mold 220 grain Round Flat Nose. If you need brass call Starline, it's in stock. Plan on adding a Blackhawk 4 5/8's in the future.

Boolit Master
    MM...welcome to The Cult...at least that is what the .44 people call us....

If you have read any of the above sticky thread you probably have a pretty good idea of what the .41 is all about. I've been shooting one since the mid-1970s and is about all I have left for big bore handguns after trying everything up to .475 and .500 S&W...

As to molds...Accurate has a BIG collection from 160-270 grains. MP and NOE have great ones also that can be had with hollow point and penta point options. Mountain Molds and LBT can make molds up to 300 grains...

Jacketed bullet selection is kinda slim these day but there is enough to do most any shooting one is going to do with a .41... Hawk bullets also makes really good hunting bullets..

The sad thing is that there is now a larger variety of factory ammo than ever before and the fewest number of new guns ever before...
    S&W (1) 6" blue
    Ruger (1) Blackhawk in 4 5/8" and 6.5" blue
    Freedom Arms (2) 97 (4.25", 5.5" 7.5") and 83 ( 4.75" 6", 7.5", 10")
    Henry has several variations of their steel and brass frame lever guns...
    ...and that is it.

Fortunately Ruger makes some runs of .41s in their Redhawk, Super Redhawk and stainless Blackhawks from time too time...and are wonderful guns.

But the auction sites are your friends...up until a few months ago there were lots of different .41s there and still quite a number...

If you are looking for some cast bullets to try, look at GT, Montana, Penn, Leadhead, Matts and Western...they have a pretty wide variety... GT has a lot of cast HPs at VERY good prices. Berry's also has a 210 plated bullet that is excellent...

As to a Magic Load...try 8.0 grains of Unique with ANY bullet. A Lee Carbide Factory Crimp die also works wonders...

Have a great time with the new found friend...and forget about .45s...

Bob

Boolit Master
    Hi...
    I have four .41Magnum revolvers.
    Always looking for a good deal on another one in good condition.
    Buy that. 41!!!
    You will not regret it.

Vendor Sponsor

The only problems you will have out of a 41 BH if you have any at all, would be the cylinder throats which is generally the same as any other caliber BH, in that Ruger tends to ship them out the door with relatively small throats. Commonly they will run in the .409"-ish range of measurement, while groove diameters are a true 41 at .410" the same "size the boolit .001" to .002" over groove diameter, size the throats .0005" to .001" over boolit diameter" applies here and works great for shooting cast in the 41 BH.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Master

Back in the late 70's, early 80's, I took one doe and one spike, in Central Oregon (the only ones I ever shot at) with my S&W. RJM52 mentioned the Unique 8.0 grain load. That WAS the load I was using. I topped it off with the Lyman 410459 swc. Both shots were approximately 50 yards +/- and both slugs went completely through. I've shot thousands of those 220 grain slugs, and they're still my go to cast boolit.
    Regards

Boolit Master
    Bought my first 41 magnum in 1967 & I've never been without one since. I've taken a lot of game with different 41's using mostly 2 loads, 8 grs of Unique with a Keith 230 gr cast bullet or 17.0 grs of 2400 with the same bullet. It's been used on deer, elk, antelope, bear & lots of small game. It's an easy caliber to like, very accurate, recoil is easy to handle & it makes a better 44 than the 44. Was shooting my 5.5" bisley yesterday at 100 yds with a 250 gr cast & 17.0 grs of 2400, getting ready for an elk hunt.

Dick

pretty sure if Dirty Harry carried one, the 44mag wouldn’t be very popular

I love the .41magnum

....remember, the 44mag is really a .430” magnum LOL

NRA LIFE Member

USPSA/IPSC

Good Lord, now I have the itch again.

I just finished playing with my .41 Blackhawk a bit. I shot several rounds of the Lee TL210SWC and the MP41-215 over 5 grs of Bullseye, then switched to the MP41-258 PC'd hollow point over 20.5 grs of H110 to confirm zero for deer hunting. I'm limiting myself to 50 yards or less- I vented this almost empty bottle at 40 yards for the last shot today.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast