MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingLoad DataRepackbox
WidenersInline FabricationRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Reloading Everything

Thread: WSF-Anyone using it?

WSF-Anyone using it?

I inherited almost 8 lbs. of WSF. Perusing the manuals, it looks like it use in handguns is limited. Looks like the burn rate is between Herco and HS-6. Anyone use it for any cast bullet applications. Any pet loads?

Boolit Master

That is one of my favorite pistol powders, good in 9, 40 and 45. Have used it in mild 10's and 41's as well.

I use it with good results in 45 acp with the lee TL452-230-TC (4.8 grains) and the TL452-230-2R (5.0 grains). My TC bullet weights 238-239 grains from my WW alloy, and I seat to the 1.170 OAL suggested in the Lyman cast bullet handbook 4th edition.

I don't recall what the 2R weighs but I believe 235, I seated it to 1.250.

Both gives recoil and POI duplication of factory ball ammo and cycles and feeds well in my Springfield armory 1911 milspec.

Since I don't load 9mm or 40, 45 acp is my only application for it.

Boolit Buddy
    I haven’t been able to find it in quantity in a while but for pistol it’s like unique but more versatile, cleaner, and measures like water. WSF was my preferred powder for pistol till the local sportsmans quit carrying it in 4&8# jugs

Boolit Master
    I like WSF for 9MM, 40SW, and 10MM. I gave it a good try in 45 ACP but never got impressed.
    COME AND TAKE IT
    Let’s Go Brandon!!!!

Banned
    The best powder I've found for 9mm Luger.

behind a 115-125 grain bullet somewhere in the 5.4 gr range works well.

And of course, it's a great powder for 20 Ga. target loads.

I havent used it with cast because Im just getting into that end of things. But Ive used it to launch 1000s of .40S&W rounds. 180gr FMJ with 5.6gr WSF gets me around 920fps all day long.

Boolit Master

In the .38 sp it's exactly the same as Herco (grain=fps) and the 9mm also. Great 20ga target powder, a friend just gave me 3 lbs of it
    "Masculine republics give way to feminine democracies, and feminine democracies give way to tyrannies.” Aristotle

Quote Originally Posted by fecmech View Post
    In the .38 sp it's exactly the same as Herco (grain=fps) and the 9mm also. Great 20ga target powder, a friend just gave me 3 lbs of it
    I'm interested in your 38 special experiences. I've not found hardly any data for WSF in special, and what I did was obscure. The reviews I've seen of those that have tried it all tended towards large ES and lots of unburned powder.

Don't suppose you've tried it in 44 special?

WSF & WST are probably my 2 most used powders. WSF for 9mm & 40. WST for 45acp & 38spl. Both meter great & burn pretty clean.

Boolit Master

I'm interested in your 38 special experiences. I've not found hardly any data for WSF in special, and what I did was obscure. The reviews I've seen of those that have tried it all tended towards large ES and lots of unburned powder.

Don't suppose you've tried it in 44 special?
    All I remember about it was that when I did play with it, velocities were identical to Herco in both the .38 and 9mm. No .44 spec experience.
    "Masculine republics give way to feminine democracies, and feminine democracies give way to tyrannies.” Aristotle

Boolit Master

Iv used quiet a bit of WSF in 45 acp and 38 super & 9mm with cast bullets with excellent results

Boolit Master
    In my 9 mm

Three44s
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207

“There is more to this than dumping lead in a hole.”

Boolit Master
    Another heavy user of it with cast and 9mm. That is a big supply for most people, enjoy that for years!
    Take a kid to the range, you'll both be glad you did.

Banned
    I could never get WSF to work well in larger cases. In the 9mm Luger, it shines.
    Tried in in 38 Special but went back to the old favorites (Bullseye, WW231)

It is a very good powder for 20 ga. target loads.

I agree that in a handgun casing it behaves a lot like Herco

Boolit Buddy
    WSF and WST are my two must used powders in handguns . In the 357 magnum , using 158 gr cast bullet I like 7.5 grs of WSF . In the 41 magnum , using a 210-220 gr cast bullet I use 8.5 grs WSF. In the 44 mag using 245 KT , I use 9.0 grs of WSF . In the 45 acp , 230 gr cast bullet I use 4.9grs of WST . In 38 spcl , 158 gr cast bullet I use 3.9 grs WST . Hope this helps , Regards Paul

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    7 grains in 70mm length .410 M35 aluminum cases with 3/4 oz. of shot with Buffalo Arms card and felt cushion wads with laquered top wad card approximates the Cold War era USAF load for the M6 survival gun.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master
    Winchester has a way of formulating GREAT propellants, and then discontinuing them in short order. Anyone remember 452AA? What about 570/571? Does anyone recall Winchester 630? TRUE, some of those reappeared as propellants made by other sources with vaguely redolent names, but WHY couldn't Winchester be bothered to continue the production?
    There's NOTHING quite so flabbergasting as working up a great load using Winchester propellant, and THEN having the propellant discontinued, only to leave the hapless reloader to "start over" with some other renamed powder that's supposed to be close, but requiring a RE-work-up, all over again. This is especially fun, when someone tries to run a .38 Super/.38 Super-Comp up to "major" with a Winchester propellant. No thanks.
    I don't need the run-around.
    The exceptions may be W231/HP-38, for which I have innumerable replacements, and H110/W296, which I avoid due to its "no less than 3% reduction" work-up rule. I'll use this propellant for .30 Carbine only.
    For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow. Ecclesiastes 1:18
    He that troubleth his own house shall inherit the wind: and the fool become servant to the wise of heart. Proverbs 11:29
    ...Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of my brethren, ye have done it unto me. Matthew 25:40

Carpe SCOTCH!