RotoMetals2WidenersTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee PrecisionLoad DataInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
Repackbox Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cimarron McNelly Carbine

Boolit Man
    Drydock, I'm tempted to order one of the longer pushers from one of their other sharps models and see if it wouldn't fit. Not an expensive experiment and would know real quick it was going to work or not.

Boolit Buddy
    That's the problem, no one is making the taller pusher, they all use the short one. I can get a proper hammer, but not the striker, and you have to have both. I think IAB might have used one 30 years ago, but those are long gone, and they were the old one piece large pin style as well. I wish someone would make an aftermarket striker+hammer package, I'd buy one yesterday. It annoys me, Chiappa is SO damn close to getting it all right.

Boolit Buddy
    Also, military pattern chambers have NO throat, the rifling starts right at the end of the chamber. That's the way the Armory liked it, and why the government pattern bullets have tapered or undersized noses. I suspect it was easier and cheaper to cut, always a consideration for the 19th century US Army.

Boolit Man
    I do have a government pattern mold so I guess I'll just use those in the carbine.

Boolit Buddy
    Frankly, in the carbine the Government 450 grain bullet is the flat best there is. No real need to load anything else. (Lyman 515141 or Lee 515-450) Even in my 30" Shiloh, while I have a heavy long range bullet, for most things I just load that good old 450.

Oof! Of course, YOUR gun is the .45-70. (price is right failure tune . . .)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12