Snyders JerkyRepackboxWidenersTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Lee Precision Inline Fabrication

Thread: Who makes this Powder Measure

Boolit Master

Who makes this Powder Measure

In the early 90's I was working in California and walked into a local gunshop and found an old shooting box from I guess an estate sale. The box had dovetail joints and the top was made from Walnut and the bottom looked like pine and the body some type of light colored wood. In side was an old powder measure that had a place for a filler sealed with a cork but no other identification. It looks like it is to well made to be home made but with the talent out there who knows. There was also a 32-40 capper and a 32-40 bullet seater. Unfortunately no rifle or other accessories were at the shop. If any one knows anything about the powder measure it would be appreciated.

Thanks,

gmsharps

Attachment 270445

Attachment 270446

Attachment 270447

Attachment 270448

Attachment 270449

Boolit Master
    The measure looks like one attributed to O. A. Bremer of San Franscisco CA, in Kelver’s book on Single Shot Rifle accessories. It is described as a Duplex measure; are there two powder chambers in yours?

The re/decapper looks like the picture of a Schoyen-Peterson tool in the same book. The boolit breech seater is an Ideal No. 1, IIRC.

That’s quite a haul.

Boolit Master

It has two chambers one that has a filler material sealed with a cork and the main powder chamber. The main powder chamber has what appears to be black powder residue on the sides but not bad.

gmsharps

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by gmsharps View Post
    It has two chambers one that has a filler material sealed with a cork and the main powder chamber. The main powder chamber has what appears to be black powder residue on the sides but not bad.

gmsharps
    It’s likely that the smaller, inner chamber was intended for the “kicker charge” of faster black or smokeless powder to yield a cleaner burning “duplex load.”

I agree with friend BR that the re- and decapper looks like a Schoyen-Petersen and the bullet seater is almost certainly an Ideal #1. I’m not sure “...quite a haul” is sufficiently emphatic... looks more like a “get out the mask and gun” kind of acquisition and I don’t even know what you paid for it!

BTW, what caliber case fits the re- and de-, and what shell is on the bullet seater? I’m guessing this would have been part of the shooting “kit” for a savvy shooter at the turn of the last century, participating in then-popular Schuetzenfests.

Congratulations,
    Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Master

The decapper fits a 32-40 and the case on the bullet seater is also a 32-40. I do have a c-sharps in 32-40. Maybe able to use them in it.

gmsharps

Boolit Grand Master
    The decapper fits a 32-40 and the case on the bullet seater is also a 32-40. I do have a c-sharps in 32-40. Maybe able to use them in it.

gmsharps
    Sounds to me like you've stumbled onto a winner. If you have or can get a good bullet to breech seat in the chamber of your Sharps, and a small supply of brass, you're all set. For primers, any modern match grade large rifle primers will probably be about as good as what was laboriously sorted in the old days, and then you can do research for yourself as to what powder(s) you want to use, black, smokeless or duplex. As I said previously, it looks like you have most of the kit that some very knowledgeable practitioner of the Schuetzen game would have used at the range. Congratulations again, I feel like you've made a super find.

Green Frog

Boolit Master

Thanks for all of the info. This helps a lot.
    Now to drag that 32-40 out of the back of the safe and start shooting it.

gmsharps

Boolit Grand Master
    Thanks for all of the info. This helps a lot.
    Now to drag that 32-40 out of the back of the safe and start shooting it.

gmsharps
    All you need now is a bullet mould and a way to lube them. In the schuetzen game we like to shoot our bullets as-cast (not sized) so generally we lube them with a lube pump or by dip- or pan lubing. If you haven't already dropped by the assra.com forums, you might want to. Lots of great info there!

Froggie

Boolit Master

That sounds like a plan. Thanks for the info