RepackboxSnyders JerkyInline FabricationLee Precision
Load DataRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingWideners
MidSouth Shooters Supply Reloading Everything

Thread: ID? Winchester Trapper ..........

Boolit Master

ID? Winchester Trapper ..........

Attachment 270419Attachment 270420Attachment 270421

Need some help on this one; Winchester 94 marked, Ser #506XXXX, dates to 1980; 16" blued barrel and lever; receiver is as shown. 30-30 caliber

I haven't a clue what the receiver finish is. The mechanics of this rifle is in perfect shape, appears to have been fired little.

ANY information would be appreciated. I would consider selling this piece to a collector, if interested. Thanks in advance,

HV
    Life's biggest tragedy is we get old too soon, and wise too late.

Hmmmm……..

Your Model 94 looks like it has a 1964-1982 sintered metal receiver, all of which receivers were coated in several different finishes (Gold, Silver, Pewter, Brass, Black Chrome and finishes that only looked like bluing or case colors).

AFAIK, standard Model 94's got only the coating that looked like bluing, the other finishes went on various commemoratives.

The"SEARS" medallion leads me to believe it's a store-branded gun made for Sears, Roebuck by Winchester.

I'm puzzled, however, because Sears, Roebuck Winchester 94's, usually contracted for non-walnut hardwood stocks (your gun's stock appears to be walnut) with the forend tip painted black, and with a Sears "model" designation number stamped into the barrel.

What's doubly puzzling is that Sears stopped selling guns in the 1970's, yet that gun's SN was evidently made later ( in 1982) - when the top-eject Model 94 was discontinued, and the Angle-Eject Model 94AE came into existence.

(post-64 .30-30 Trappers were introduced in 1980)

In summation, IMO your rifle looks like a Standard Model 94 sintered metal receiver that somebody attempted to blue normally, then applied that gold-ish finish when they found out they couldn't blue it as normally.

That's my story, and I'm stickin' to it…….

Last edited by pietro; 10-29-2020 at 07:16 PM.
    Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Boolit Master
    I’ll start by saying that I don’t know anything, but are you sure that the sears marked buttplate is original to the gun?

Could probably cerakote that reciever for not much money.

Boolit Master

pietro-

I thought the same thing regarding the Sears buttstock; the barrel is marked with ONLY Winchester indicia; no Revelation, Ted Williams, etc. which was normally the case.
    From closer inspection of the receiver, it appears that the "finish" is original, the internal portion of the receiver is also the same as the outer finish. The black forend tip is, in fact, metal.
    And, the stock, with a few dents and dings, is walnut. l was contemplating refinishing the wood, and have a friend ceramacoat the receiver matte black. In retrospect, I'll probably just leave it as is, "unique".

Thanks for all the information,

HV

Boolit Master

JimB..

I have no clue with the plastic Sears marked buttplate. Interesting piece, none the less.

HV

Boolit Buddy

What does the forearm attachment look like. A Winchester would have had a barrrel band, the Sears guns had a wide fore end tip like the pic below.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	70370AAA-43EA-4DA4-B627-B52D7068E99B.jpeg 
Views:	70 
Size:	65.7 KB 
ID:	270439

Quote Originally Posted by pietro View Post
    I'm puzzled, however, because Sears, Roebuck Winchester 94's, usually contracted for non-walnut hardwood stocks (your gun's stock appears to be walnut) with the forend tip painted black, and with a Sears "model" designation number stamped into the barrel.
    I'm holding a ratty old 20" barreled Ted Williams model 100 right now that has wood on it that sure looks like walnut to me. Sears plastic buttplate and black forend tip. The receiver has +/-40% of the original black finish.

Boolit Master

Southern Middle Tennessee/ Hillsboro Alabama
    I know of two Sears 94's sitting in the same shop last time I was there and both are nice walmut stocked guns . Anybody know if the sears guns are serial numbered along with the regular 94's or do they have their own range of numbers ?
    Grumpy Old Man With A Gun....... Do Not Touch !!

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Southgate View Post
    I know of two Sears 94's sitting in the same shop last time I was there and both are nice walmut stocked guns . Anybody know if the sears guns are serial numbered along with the regular 94's or do they have their own range of numbers ?
    My top-eject Ted Williams model 100 has a "V" prefix followed by five digits.

Boolit Master

Nice old gun. Sears and other mail order firms sold a lot of guns and most were just store brands that killed a lot of game in a more rural era of our country............
    JMHO-YMMV
    dd884
    gary@2texastrucks.com
    Gary D. Peek

Boolit Master

Warhawk,

My copy does, in fact , resemble the photo you posted above. No barrel band, just a black "metal" end cap.

None the less, anyone have any idea what value these have? Not sure what I'll do with it, but I do handload 30-30; would make for an awesome truck gun.

HV

Boolit Buddy

Trapper

That is a very nice rifle, I would definitely hunt that one.
    The 45-70, the only Government I trust.
    The Gospel of speed is accuracy.

Boolit Grand Master

What is imprinted on the left side of the barrel above the wood ?
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.