Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Inline FabricationReloading EverythingWidenersRotoMetals2
Repackbox Titan Reloading

Thread: Trip to Front Sight for Tactical Shotgun Course.

Trip to Front Sight for Tactical Shotgun Course.

I went to my 6th Defensive Shotgun Class at Front Sight starting last Monday.(10/19-10/23) This one was 4 days as I wanted to graduate with a Distinguished Graduate Sticker on my Cert. Did That!!!

I shot -11 I missed one Select Slug Shot at 50 yards -5, and was late on 2 Port Load iterations. -3,-3.Attachment 270415

Some may think this is a yawn,,, however I was one of 4 in the class of 36 who made it, and it was kind of a big deal to me, just like my Pistol DG was a few years ago. It took me 12 classes to DG Pistol. YMMV

This course is 4 days of shooting shotguns and learning all the techniques that are necessary to run one in a efficient manner. I ran my Browning A5 with the Buck Special Barrel for the whole program and was super impressed by the Buckshot patterns at 15 yards which were <3"X 3" with Federal Low Recoil 000 Buck ! This equals the performance of my Vang Comped M500's, but Browning had this figured out a long time ago.
    I had already ran the A5 in a Class so I had most of it figured out however I did learn a few new tricks so it was well worth while, and getting the DG Sticker means I can go on to more advanced Tactical Classes.

Attachment 270417 Attachment 270418

I fired right at 300 rounds of Birdshot, 150 rounds of 000 Federal Low Recoil Buckshot and 50 rounds of Federal Low Recoil Slugs . Right at 500 rounds total in 4 days with no bruises or broken bones or anything. Temps were at 90 F so it was shorts and tee shirts for the 4 days. The gun ran great the whole way and cleaned up with 2 passes with a bore snake and a little wiping with a paper towel.

During the Sighting In portion of the class I did manage to sneak in 3 of my Lee Slugs loaded in Federal Blue Hulls and they shot right into the same group as the Factory Slugs. So that was encouraging.

So,,, I accomplished what I set out to do on that trip!

However when we went back on Friday to start our 4 day Pistol Class something had happened!

There was no place to park even close to the sign in area. There were people everywhere! I have never seen so many people there at one time in the 15 years we've been members.

I saw the Head Guy and he told me there were 650 people there for Pistol Classes. They were running 14 pistol classes of 40 people each, starting last Friday. This is unprecedented !!!

They were expecting 900+ people for classes starting yesterday, 25 pistol classes scheduled! I saw instructors I hadn't seen in years! All Hands on Deck! This was REALLY unprecedented !!!

Only a few people were wearing Masks! But they did take everyone's Temps when they were checking in. Lunch and the Form Fill Outs were conducted in both the regular Lunch Room and the Big Tent. There was also a new Liability Release Form to fill out for Covid 19.

It was a good trip and we came back better shooters than when we left. Please Note: Everything we did was directly applicable to Home Defense, Target Shooting and Hunting. It was all about Gun Handling and Learning to run the gun in the most efficient manner possible. Obviously this will directly apply to any possible use of the gun.

Randy
    Last edited by W.R.Buchanan; 10-29-2020 at 06:43 PM.
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Grand Master
    Was there a few years ago for the four day pistol classs. Loved it. Got my DG first time out.

If I lived within 300 miles, I would be a member. I learned a lot. Want to take the Shotgun and Rifle courses but doubt it will happen.

Glad to hear they are doing well.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master

Do you have a link to your lee slug load?
    Ill keep my guns money and freedom you keep the CHANGE!!!

18 gr of Green Dot, Win 209 Primer, Claybuster Blue Wad with.070 Nitro Card in base of shot cup under the 1 oz Lee Slug. Blue Federal Slug Hulls with Roll Crimp.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by W.R.Buchanan View Post
    I went to my 6th Defensive Shotgun Class at Front Sight starting last Monday.(10/19-10/23) This one was 4 days as I wanted to graduate with a Distinguished Graduate Sticker on my Cert. Did That!!!

I shot -11 I missed one Select Slug Shot at 50 yards -5, and was late on 2 Port Load iterations. -3,-3.Attachment 270415

Some may think this is a yawn,,, however I was one of 4 in the class of 36 who made it, and it was kind of a big deal to me, just like my Pistol DG was a few years ago. It took me 12 classes to DG Pistol. YMMV

This course is 4 days of shooting shotguns and learning all the techniques that are necessary to run one in a efficient manner. I ran my Browning A5 with the Buck Special Barrel for the whole program and was super impressed by the Buckshot patterns at 15 yards which were <3"X 3" with Federal Low Recoil 000 Buck ! This equals the performance of my Vang Comped M500's, but Browning had this figured out a long time ago.
    I had already ran the A5 in a Class so I had most of it figured out however I did learn a few new tricks so it was well worth while, and getting the DG Sticker means I can go on to more advanced Tactical Classes.

Attachment 270417 Attachment 270418

I fired right at 300 rounds of Birdshot, 150 rounds of 000 Federal Low Recoil Buckshot and 50 rounds of Federal Low Recoil Slugs . Right at 500 rounds total in 4 days with no bruises or broken bones or anything. Temps were at 90 F so it was shorts and tee shirts for the 4 days. The gun ran great the whole way and cleaned up with 2 passes with a bore snake and a little wiping with a paper towel.

During the Sighting In portion of the class I did manage to sneak in 3 of my Lee Slugs loaded in Federal Blue Hulls and they shot right into the same group as the Factory Slugs. So that was encouraging.

So,,, I accomplished what I set out to do on that trip!

However when we went back on Friday to start our 4 day Pistol Class something had happened!

There was no place to park even close to the sign in area. There were people everywhere! I have never seen so many people there at one time in the 15 years we've been members.

I saw the Head Guy and he told me there were 650 people there for Pistol Classes. They were running 14 pistol classes of 40 people each, starting last Friday. This is unprecedented !!!

They were expecting 900+ people for classes starting yesterday, 25 pistol classes scheduled! I saw instructors I hadn't seen in years! All Hands on Deck! This was REALLY unprecedented !!!

Only a few people were wearing Masks! But they did take everyone's Temps when they were checking in. Lunch and the Form Fill Outs were conducted in both the regular Lunch Room and the Big Tent. There was also a new Liability Release Form to fill out for Covid 19.

It was a good trip and we came back better shooters than when we left. Please Note: Everything we did was directly applicable to Home Defense, Target Shooting and Hunting. It was all about Gun Handling and Learning to run the gun in the most efficient manner possible. Obviously this will directly apply to any possible use of the gun.

Randy
    i believe that anyone that commits to being trained/tested by an established institution is to be congratulated.

NICE achievement and congratulations.

'monkey
    WebMonkey
    Retired 19D
    Psalm 91:9
    Honda 919

I’m a Diamond member to Front sight
    Really good training
    Do they have the hotel built yet I have free hotel stays

I doubt we will see the Hotel in my lifetime unless he gets a massive infusion of cash by someone much richer than Me!

I personally am pushing for the completion of the RV Area first, as it would open up much more accessibility to the property for more people sooner.

I also will be lobbying for Paving the road and parking lot from the gate to the bottom of range 13 which will cut down on the dust in the most used areas.

Lots of ideas to finish the build out but nothing will happen until he gets some real money into the picture. I personally will be lobbying the Trump Boys who are both members and actually know how to build this type of property. Unless Piazza gets support on the Scale of Trump, or other very high profile Conservatives with serious money, the property will never be completed in our lifetimes.

I am writing him a big letter this weekend discussing some Financial Strategies he hasn't considered, which ultimately will be much less annoying and more successful than endless Emails hocking small donations to anyone who hasn't blocked his emails.

Randy

Boolit Grand Master

Congratulations Randy! I would consider that a big deal too! Good going!

Longbow