RotoMetals2Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Lee PrecisionRepackboxSnyders JerkyWideners
Reloading Everything Titan Reloading
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Best Doughnut!!

I would ride my bike 75 miles round trip for VG Donuts and Bakery in Cardif-by-the-Sea, CA back in my riding days some 35 years ago. Still in business since 1969, they must be doing something right.

Boolit Buddy
    I thought Flyboy Donuts were some of the best here in Sioux Falls, SD then I tried some from Delight (not daylight) Donuts in Yankton, SD. The best I've had so far!

Boolit Master
    Jubilee grocery store bakery cream cheese filled donuts in Evanston WY. Unfortunately they closed about 10 years ago.
    Wall Drug has some good donuts as well. Pull into town and you can smell them. Follow your nose.

Boolit Buddy
    Interesting... Probably the most famous donut shop in the country is the shop at the top of Pikes Peak. But no mention here. I assume since they're world famous and nobody's singing their praises, they're probably not all that spectacular.

Boolit Master

Great apple cinnamon donuts from a traveling van "Mama Crockett's" here.

ONCE a year, some Mennonite families sell regular(giant !) ones at the Hillsville Flea Market/Gun Show(canceled this year), fresh outta the fryer - line always there and they sell 'em faster than they can make 'em . I'll have to double up next year, to heck with my sugar !

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by BamaNapper View Post
    Interesting... Probably the most famous donut shop in the country is the shop at the top of Pikes Peak. But no mention here. I assume since they're world famous and nobody's singing their praises, they're probably not all that spectacular.
    I've been there, and the donuts are good, but the altitude was making me light-headed and it might have been the munchies, lol!

Boolit Master

I was mildly disappointed that this was about donut shops, not recipes. Still, there are and have been some great shops with amazing donuts.

As far as home-made, I worked with a guy who was from Minnesota, as was his wife. She would boil up diced potatoes and then make her donuts in the potato water, boiled not fried in oil. My friend and I were friends for many years and partners quite often. Sunday mornings were quite enjoyable. We've both retired, he and his wife moved back home to MN. and I miss coffee and donuts on Sundays.
    Common sense Gun Safety . . .

Is taught at the Range!

Boolit Buddy
    Hossfly got it right. Southern Maid on Hearne avenue in Shreveport, La. has the best glazed donuts on the planet, hands down. They actually had three mynah birds there when I was a kid, but they kept one of them in a soundproof cage because he swore like a sailor. When I was a kid, we used to drive 35 miles one way from my hometown of Vivian, La. just to get donuts. They came out hot at 4 pm.

ok...I'll chime in. I knew a PA dutch lady (she is still alive...but I haven't seen her in 20 years)....she made Fasnachts. (German donuts) Every Ash Wednesday. Those were THE BEST on the planet as far as I'm concerned. And yes...I have her recipe but they take so much time to make I've never made them myself.

redhawk

The only stupid question...is the unasked one.
    Not all who wander....are lost.
    "Common Sense" is like a flower. It doesn't grow in everyone's garden.

If more government is the answer, then it was a really stupid question. - Ronald Reagan

The best donut will be the next one I eat. I do like Tim Horton's chocolare dip and oston cream donuts.

BB

Yoko Donuts behind the Jackalope on Camp Bowie Blvd in Fort Worth. The Korean owners are so nice and make heavenly donuts; I have even bartered fresh picked cantaloupes for donuts there. Across town on Hemphill, the guys at Paul’s serve up greatness as well.

Quote Originally Posted by wch View Post
    McKenzies in New Orleans.
    Time has muddled your memory, lol. Those doughnuts tasted like cardboard, but, I would pay a good bit to have a dozen right now, good memories.

Just one of the ADNM places.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

Paradise cafe Strathcona Minnesota Has fantastic Old fashioned Fried doughnuts. They're Located in remote North Western part of the state just off of Hwy. 32.
    They have a steady following all year but during hunting season they sell thousands. I stopped in the other day and and the aroma of fresh doughnuts filled the air. A batch had just come out of the fryer. I was told they may be too hot to sell. Just the way I like em I replied. They were just fantastic! Nearly crunchy on the outside and Oh so tender inside. The best I've tasted!

Boolit Grand Master

A small bakery on East Main Street when I was growing up. Me and my buddy were made crossing guards and in typical young man fashion used the opportunity to wander up to the bakery and get a couple of donuts. Donuts on hooky from school were awesome but the best I ever had were my grandmothers. Cooked in a cast iron frying pan full of real lard and heavily laden with nutmeg. Crunchy on the outside and soft inside. On a frozen northern day they were heaven.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by bangerjim View Post
    Bosa Donuts in Arizona. Dunkin' Donuts is right across the street & we never go there! YUCK.

Or Krispy Kreme in a pinch...................if I can even find a franchise that bakes/sells them anymore. Most went bankrupt here a few years ago.
    Still going strong here in NC. They tried to expand into the boxed supermarket niche and it just didn't work. If you come across one that has the "Hot Now" neon sign up make sure to stop especially if they have the glass windows where you can watch them being made. One near me lets you point out the donut you want as it goes down the line. Place I delivered to a few years ago in the early morning I noticed a Krispy Kreme nearby and it had the sign up when I was there. I found a parking lot to park the truck and walked over every morning. Hot doughnuts and coffee at 0530. Oh boy.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	external-content.duckduckgo.com.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	72.1 KB 
ID:	270525
    Last edited by jonp; 10-31-2020 at 07:39 PM.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Master
    If you are around Northwest Indiana, just ask around for the "Amish Crack" doughnuts. Made by Rise and Roll, an Amish owned company.
    There is a reason they are called crack,, highly addictive.....

Quote Originally Posted by Pipefitter View Post
    If you are around Northwest Indiana, just ask around for the "Amish Crack" doughnuts. Made by Rise and Roll, an Amish owned company.
    There is a reason they are called crack,, highly addictive.....
    Past addictive, nephew and his wife brought a big box to Oshkosh when we met at the EAA AirVenture. Sent my sugar off the charts.

Boolit Master
    My cousin Nancy Lamb sculpted the jackalope.

Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    Yoko Donuts behind the Jackalope on Camp Bowie Blvd in Fort Worth. The Korean owners are so nice and make heavenly donuts; I have even bartered fresh picked cantaloupes for donuts there. Across town on Hemphill, the guys at Paul’s serve up greatness as well.
    EDG

Boolit Master
    When I was a boy...
    There were Dunkin Donuts.
    Had a handle knob on side
    dark brown, fried crunchy
    was DD trade mark.
    Since Krispy Kreme
    sugar bomb marshmallows
    -half sugar, not much else-
    took over DD're gone.
    Stores are still there, but sell
    Baskin Robbins KK.
    Not found in Alaska or Arizona
    did a road trip 2017 across
    America, AZ to ME.
    I am two meters tall, I don't fly.
    Stopped at a DD every town.
    Nada. KK with handles don't count.
    My daughter-in-law still remembers
    and I can make them, as my aunt
    taught me, one at a time in a frybaby.

Dunkin Donut shop with the windows
    all solid frost, industrial coffee, donut smoke,
    huge coffee to go two donuts 50 cents.
    Everybody had a cigarette going.
    Steam and smoke would puff out the door.
    Alas, my lost youth.

Last one I found was in St Louis 2002.
    Loaded two dozen, made it to Mesa AZ.
    Rumor is the DD on Grant makes a batch
    but I have never caught them at it.
    And don't get me ranting on bagels.
    Bagels are unobtanium west of the Hudson.

Boolit Master
    Dunkin Donuts...
    As a kid, I had a great job installing Ansul equipment, Cardox, Halon, so DD was a customer for hood systems over fryers. Walked into a Chelsea MA DD at midnight, just in time to see the cook burned. He was an old V
    ietnamese guy about as tall as the fryers. He put in the basket and it exploded, too hot, too wet, petit pauvre got oil foam on his face, hands, apron, screamed and ran. Into me. I scooped him up put him in the pot sink put the cold spray water to him. Customer came in grabbed his legs, burned his hands getting that apron off, I had on pipefitter gloves, burned my forearms. Dialed 911, then the owner. Fire department was there in a minute. Never found out what happened to the old guy. I hope he lived. Owner suspected he might be an illegal. Fire Chief and cops were writing away, eating donuts. Owner went back to making donuts, I swapped out two small units for one big one to include the new backroom fryers. Tested the automatic gas valves, took pictures, tagged everything. Done by 5AM; place was packed, I went on to a day install. Met the gas inspector there the next day, test fired, nobody knew anything about any accident. That's Massachusetts.