RotoMetals2RepackboxLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
WidenersSnyders JerkyInline FabricationReloading Everything
Titan Reloading Load Data
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Best Doughnut!!

Boolit Grand Master

Best Doughnut!!

OK, we have the best steak thread, now here is a best doughnut thread.

Is, or at least there was, a place in Redlands, CA, called Mr. J's, that I would nominate for best doughnut. Redlands blvd and Alabama st. IIRC

A place in Tulsa, I think it was Harmonys, was a close second, and Geralds in OKC used to have the best orange doughnuts as well as the best apple spice doughnuts.

Banned
    Its been 25+ years .... But Scotties doughnuts in Modesto California .
    On Yosemite ave.

Only had them the one time , but they stood out in my mind enough that I remembered their name and what street they are on all these years .

Boolit Grand Master

Irish Made in Pine Bluff Arkansas.

A donut shop my mother worked at in Cucamonga CA in the early to mid '70's called the Sunshine Bakery (oddly enough in the Sunshine Shopping center onBasline BLVD Nade the Best Buttermilk Old fasion Donuts And Bars I have ever had.

The Moose Is Loose Soldotna, Alaska.... sadly it closed down now !! When it announced that it was closing , people stood in line for hours to stock up ....... people was buying every thing they made , the store was selling out everyday until they closed . People was freezing the donuts and pastries........ which i couldn't understand lol

Boolit Master

McKenzies in New Orleans.
    Gun control is not about guns.

Banned

A place in Catawissa, PA where I grew up .......Letterman's Bakery . All of their doughnuts were good but my favorite was the long john!

Boolit Master

I have found Krispy Kreme doughnuts to be the most efficient and tasty sugar delivery system on the planet.

Hope for the best, plan for the worst.
    My amendment can beat up your amendment.

Boolit Grand Master
    We have poi doughnuts.
    They are good.
    I like Krispy Kreme better, when we can get it fresh.
    No shop on this island.
    Have to wait until someone goes to Maui.

Banned
    When I was a kid some 60 years ago, My dad would occasionally take me with him for coffee and a doughnut at the "Main Street Cafe".
    They had fried cake doughnuts. I L O N G for one of those now.
    They explained to me how they made them. As I recall, There was a doughnut franchise that would give or rent you a doughnut making machine. It had a deep fryer built in. Don't know if they supplied the dough or just gave the recipes to the restaurants. But those doughnuts were VERY common, Many restaurants across the country had the exact same ones...
    Then 30 years later I found a little hole in the wall restaurant in Boston that still had them.
    The secret they told me as a kid was LARD. They were deep fried in lard.
    Now there are lots of good doughnuts out there. I like Dunkin Doughnuts ...But those cake batter deep fried doughnuts were extremely special. Get em hot right out of the fryer. (This is according to a 60 year old memory, I could be mistaken about much of the details. But that is how it is in my memory)

Banned
    I found a bit about the machines:
    https://www.collectorsweekly.com/sto...ne-and-display

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by FarNorth45 View Post
    The Moose Is Loose Soldotna, Alaska.... sadly it closed down now !! When it announced that it was closing , people stood in line for hours to stock up ....... people was buying every thing they made , the store was selling out everyday until they closed . People was freezing the donuts and pastries........ which i couldn't understand lol

The Moose is Loose was by far the best donut I've ever had. They also made the best cinnamon roll. A shop in Canada along the Alaskan highway boasted that they were the best cinnamon roll and they were good but no where close to the Moose is Loose. It's a shame that some folks when they are ready to retire can't find someone with a like mind and abilities to take over a great shop. Now the quest of who makes the second best donut.

gmsharps

Monica's in Monroe, Michigan is hard to beat, one of theirs will almost put you in a diabetic coma.

Better yet is the Cop Shop donut shop here in Michigan, there are several of them spread around the north half of the lower peninsula.

One single cinnamon roll is usually more than my wife and I can eat at one sitting.

Yep, the cinnamon rolls at The Moose is Loose were about as good as they can get.
    Never trade luck for skill.

Boolit Master
    Southern Maid on Hearn Ave. in Shreveport La. was is my memory of the best Dough Nut in history. Was told it was a Dallas Franchise. Been there since I can remember, as a child about 6 y.o. Had a Mina bird in a cage that could say some words. Never will forget that experience. They had the recipe and the machine to produce the best to me in the world.

Banned

Best Doughnut!!

Quote Originally Posted by 762 shooter View Post
    I have found Krispy Kreme doughnuts to be the most efficient and tasty sugar delivery system on the planet.

Quote Originally Posted by abunaitoo View Post
    We have poi doughnuts.
    They are good.
    I like Krispy Kreme better, when we can get it fresh.
    No shop on this island.
    Have to wait until someone goes to Maui.
    Another vote for Krispy Kreme. Best mass-produced doughnut in the United States, at least in the states that count!
    I very much like the small bakeries like the ones mentioned above, I seek them out whenever I am traveling on company business.
    R/Griff

Boolit Grand Master
    doughnuts,doughnuts ,doughnuts is there a bad one
    breakfast of champions I say
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    ANY doughnut is the BEST doughnut when you get older and have to watch what you eat or are on a restricted diet.

Fifty plus years ago, when my wife and i were both going to college in Kalamazoo, MI - there was a Dunkin Doughnuts on Westnedge Ave that was open 24 hours a day. You know the hours a person keeps when in college and many times we would end up there as a treat - sometimes at 2 in the morning. They made a "butter crunch doughnut" that was out of this world and I can still taste them - that and a cup of their good coffee to go with it.

Boolit Master

Best Doughnut!!

I’m very fond of The Donut Experiment on Anna Maria Island in Florida. They are a franchise business but the original is on the island. (Curse you brother for introducing us to this addiction on vacation.)

All their cake donuts are made plain, allowed to cool slightly than topped to order. Maple glazed with bacon was amazing but can’t say I had a bad one from there.

For mass produced, hard to beat Krispy Kreme fresh out of the glazer.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    The best tasting ones I remember were Krispy Cream doughnuts in Norfolk Va, that arrived early in the morning during mid-watch duty. Granted, the situation had a lot to do with it.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast