Inline FabricationADvertise hereRepackboxTitan Reloading
Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2

Thread: Heating Plate for Lyman 45

Boolit Master

Heating Plate for Lyman 45

I am currently using an RCBS LAM-II mounted on a Lyman heating plate for sizing all of my bullets. Recently I acquired an antique Lyman 45 sizer but it doesn't match any holes on my Lyman heating plate. I want to purchase another heating plate for one of these sizers, and the RCBS one has a rheostat on it that I like for controlling the temperature. So, my question is, can one of these sizer heating plates be drilled to match the mounting holes on my old Lyman 45 sizer without damaging anything internal to the plate? Has anybody done this and how does it work on a Lyman 45?

Boolit Master metricmonkeywrench's Avatar
    I had a similar question a while ago somewheres about on the site. The challenge is that you can’t really tell where the heating element lies. I scrounged up a nice chunk of aluminum bar and plan on creating an adaptor to go between the two. I don’t have a fancy machine shop, but I have most of the hand tools to do the job.

Boolit Buddy
    Use a Lyman 4500 element in a Al plate. The element is about .375dia x 3", drill hole in side of plate after the mounting holes are drilled.
    Midway has it for $46.00
    Shaune509

Edit you can always add a PID probe to the plate to controll the temp

Boolit Master
    I use a 1inch thick aluminum plate and a cheep $6 soldering iron.Only thing requited is a drill press or some way to drill the hole in the plate so the soldering iron just slips in the plate.You can use a roughter controler or if you have a dimmer switch it would work to.

Boolit Bub
    I drilled a Lyman base to mount a star sizer on, worked fine. The heater element should go straight in where the cord is, do not drill in that area and all should be good.

Boolit Master
    I agree with Dave W you cna dill the one you have i am sure.One thing you can do is plug the heater in see where it gets warm fist and stay away from the swarm spot and you will be fine. a dimmer switch or router controller can still be used with what you have.i think the roughter controlers can be had for 20 bucks or leass at the home improvement stores.