RotoMetals2WidenersReloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
Titan ReloadingInline FabricationRepackboxLoad Data
Lee Precision MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who is trapping this season

Who is trapping this season

With how the fur prices are the only thing will be on the best price is coyote, from what I was told it will be lower then before. Who will still trap? I will be doing what I normal will. Unless something change that .
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Moderator Emeritus

I might try it on an extremely limited basis due to my neck/back. Will just be on my property. Nothing compared to what you and others do. I do plan on calling a coyote though. Think they have taken all the turkeys as there used to be three large flocks and now barely any. That has been within the last three years. Good luck

Boolit Buddy
    I will probable catch a few yotes. And many more raccoons than I want.
    Steve

Boolit Buddy
    kid I work with traps northern MN been getting turkeys in his traps Any suggestions?

It happened on the turkeys . all I can say is try to set where they are not going to be. Got myself 2 coyotes yesterday for the amount I had set mainly for coyotes. set more traps and will do more today after I check all I got out .

Gonna keep doing what we have in the past 4 years. We have only been setting in our swamp, maybe two dozen traps for k9s. Probably twice what we need but we have the traps. Gonna wait to set till it is closer to turkey day since our buyer said so.

This year we will be selling for taxidermy instead of the fur market. More money there. A little more time in the skinning but no fleshing or drying.
    You can't buy experience, but you'll pay for it.

.... but what do I know, I'm just a dumb farmer. ~ My Dad.

NRA LIFE MEMBER Upgraded to Endowment Member 5-23-14

Boolit Master

Having moved out of Illinois to sunny Florida, am kinda missing the trapping. Sold or gave everything away to come down here. Nothing to trap thanks to the gators and snakes ( them squezzer ones ). So have been watching you tube to amuse myself. I hope you fellas that will be out there on the line have lots of luck and are safe.
    Enewetak Atomic Clean Up Veteran 1979

Boolit Grand Master
    I just started trapping and this coming fall will be my first crack at it
    targeting coyote no real interest in furs but will save them and process
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Quote Originally Posted by white eagle View Post
    I just started trapping and this coming fall will be my first crack at it
    targeting coyote no real interest in furs but will save them and process
    What you will be usen to trap them? I use snares and footholds on them. Coyote is the going furs with the highest price on . the really good color and furs bring the highest .

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    I wish I were again. I once provided for my young family trapping. Surprised to hear that coyotes bring a good price these days. When I trapped, they didn’t bring more than a red Fox, five to fifteen bucks. Wolves and wolverines is where the good money was. Good luck to all those continuing to trap and try to get younger people interested in it.

Boolit Master
    I'm trapping again this year mostly leeches and a few minnows hides are worthless, no market, everyone wants live and wigglin for some reason,
    i just dont get it, what could they be doin with these ? They sure dont taste very good and it takes a lot to make a sandwich, need a lot of wasabi to get past the aroma eminating from the lunch pail on a hot day thats for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by GregLaROCHE View Post
    I wish I were again. I once provided for my young family trapping. Surprised to hear that coyotes bring a good price these days. When I trapped, they didn’t bring more than a red Fox, five to fifteen bucks. Wolves and wolverines is where the good money was. Good luck to all those continuing to trap and try to get younger people interested in it.
    Years ago yes coyotes was not worth much because of Korea had used dog to say it was coyote , Then they were caught up on use of it and then the US told them that they had to mark what fur it was used and then that is when the coyote market open up for better price.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by trapper9260 View Post
    What you will be usen to trap them? I use snares and footholds on them. Coyote is the going furs with the highest price on . the really good color and furs bring the highest .

I am using MB 550 4 coil offset foot hold traps a few Bridger and a couple MB 650's again 4 coil offset
    instead of dying and waxing I tried on 1 trap to powder coat it and it took real well and I have it in the ground so I will see how it holds up
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

I dye and wax all my footholds. I use them for water and land trapping. It works for me. also I do not have alot of my traps for just one way for trapping , But the Bridger #5 DLS that I use for beaver . But they get the same of dye and wax. It dose not cost me anything to do but time. Since I got the wax for nothing and the dye I make my own by use of maple leaves to boil with the traps to dye them. I use mainly #3 coils that I 4 coil them for coyote and use them also for beaver and otter also.

Boolit Mold
    I'm ready for the NC season to begin. Because of my day job I can only run a short line but I give it my best every season.

Respectfully
    TerryC
    Proverbs 27:17
    Terry

Boolit Mold
    I will set footholds for coyotes. Also, I plan on a raccoon and maybe even a skunk or two. Hides for crafts bring pretty good money too. It takes a while to see the money because of tanning and craft development, but it's a plan for my available time.
    Terry

I will be running my normal line this year, my fur buyer told me some different ways put up my furs to get more for them and he will also. Beaver skins is still being bought by the pound. I have alot to trap and do everything else. My season opens Nov 5 . I filled my deer permit for bow season got a doe and just need to fill my muzzle loader season that will start the 15 . meat for the freezer.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by trapper9260 View Post
    I will be running my normal line this year, my fur buyer told me some different ways put up my furs to get more for them and he will also. Beaver skins is still being bought by the pound. I have alot to trap and do everything else. My season opens Nov 5 . I filled my deer permit for bow season got a doe and just need to fill my muzzle loader season that will start the 15 . meat for the freezer.
    So beaver hides are now bought by the pound and not by size? Never heard of this be for. Wonder what will be next?
    Enewetak Atomic Clean Up Veteran 1979

Boolit Master
    If someone in Minnesota wants to trap coyotes? I have private land inside thousands of acers of prime coyote territory. pm me? They are killing all the fawns?

Boolit Master

beavers - normally I would not care but they have moved in and cut my property in two. they must go, regardless of price.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast